Crossing from Paicfic Playgrounds to Savary Island

fish brain

Crew Member
Hi guys,
I am planning the run from Pacific Playgrounds to Savary Island on August 9th The wind forecast seems to be for winds in the 9 to 16 knot range. How sporty would that make the crossing? Am I looking at two foot waves or six footers? I am in a Trophy 205
Thanks for your thoughts

There is a fair amount of movement on the tides that day, but not massive, so depending on the time you travel and wind with the tides will determine the wave height. August 9th is still quite a ways out and forecasts will tighten up in the couple days before. Its only a 10 NM run so I'm sure you will find a time to cross, just be flexible. Early morning and evening can sometimes be better times to cross.........depending on the forecasts. Ask the same question on Aug 7th or 8th and you will get a lot good input on the forecasts.

There is a fair amount of movement on the tides that day, but not massive, so depending on the time you travel and wind with the tides will determine the wave height. August 9th is still quite a ways out and forecasts will tighten up in the couple days before. Its only a 10 NM run so I'm sure you will find a time to cross, just be flexible. Early morning and evening can sometimes be better times to cross.........depending on the forecasts. Ask the same question on Aug 7th or 8th and you will get a lot good input on the forecasts.
Thanks for your thoughts @sasqman I am somewhat familiar with the general water conditions as I grew up in CR I haven't lived there for almost 30 years now , but I have made the run to my property on Savary a few times. I am just trying to decide if I should take my boat over or go over via an alternate route. I have come back on flat calm water and one time in 15 foot waves. I can't remember what having to come home in a 16 knot wind would look like. As you mentioned the weather forecast is a long way out, but it would be nice to have an idea of what conditions I might be looking at to help with my decision whether to take my boat or not.

just did this exact crossing in waaay worse wind with a smaller boat than yours. it was a little sporty but you’ll be fine. one thing i have to say is it’s crazy how long that reef ( mystery i think ) is on the south end of savary. i don’t really know the savary area that we’ll and how accurate the gps depths are, so as per usual me i played it safe and pretty much went all the way around. man that took a long time

So in general even with "brisk winds" I shouldn't have too much trouble if I pick my times.

The reason I am asking is that, I did the last week of the Mittlenatch volunteer program with my sister and brother in law about five years ago. As part of our duties we had to pack everything up and either store it in a sea can or load it onto a charter boat back to CR. I took my own boat, and the in laws were travelling on the BC Parks charter. The first several days were flat calm and beautiful, but the last two were blowing a gale. On the very last day when everything was packed up the wind started to blow. Looking out the bay where the little cabin is, the waves were already about two feet and building. I looked at my wife and said" I know you want to stay and help load all this stuff up, but if we don't leave now, we might have to stay the night". So we left, as we rounded the Island headed for the strait the waves were about four feet. "Good thing we left" I said to my wife who was only on the boat for about her third or fourth time. Suddenly the waves were at least fifteen feet tall measuring from the bottom of the trough. Significantly taller than the top of my hard top. As we would near the top of the wave I would yell "can you see land?" before the top of the wave blew off an into my face, as I did not have the clear canvas on the front and sides. I looked over at my wife, she had her head in her arms down on the dashboard, and a death grip on the radio mic. I was her plan to yell for help as soon as we got swamped. (she must have a cast iron stomach because she didn't get sea sick) Fortunately I could still see my GPS and a visual on the shore was not necessary, and we made it back to the Salmon Point Marina where we launched from safe and sound, but that is a trip I would not like to do again if I can help it.

So in general even with "brisk winds" I shouldn't have too much trouble if I pick my times.

The reason I am asking is that, I did the last week of the Mittlenatch volunteer program with my sister and brother in law about five years ago. As part of our duties we had to pack everything up and either store it in a sea can or load it onto a charter boat back to CR. I took my own boat, and the in laws were travelling on the BC Parks charter. The first several days were flat calm and beautiful, but the last two were blowing a gale. On the very last day when everything was packed up the wind started to blow. Looking out the bay where the little cabin is, the waves were already about two feet and building. I looked at my wife and said" I know you want to stay and help load all this stuff up, but if we don't leave now, we might have to stay the night". So we left, as we rounded the Island headed for the strait the waves were about four feet. "Good thing we left" I said to my wife who was only on the boat for about her third or fourth time. Suddenly the waves were at least fifteen feet tall measuring from the bottom of the trough. Significantly taller than the top of my hard top. As we would near the top of the wave I would yell "can you see land?" before the top of the wave blew off an into my face, as I did not have the clear canvas on the front and sides. I looked over at my wife, she had her head in her arms down on the dashboard, and a death grip on the radio mic. I was her plan to yell for help as soon as we got swamped. (she must have a cast iron stomach because she didn't get sea sick) Fortunately I could still see my GPS and a visual on the shore was not necessary, and we made it back to the Salmon Point Marina where we launched from safe and sound, but that is a trip I would not like to do again if I can help it.

That sounds pretty epic and quite unnerving.
I've been in spot like that before (not that big though) and it ain't fun. I hope the weather works out for you.

What the tide is doing is just as important as what the wind is doing. I was warned not to cross when it’s blowing from the S.E. And there’s an ebb

My GF had to make a ferry so of course, the day I made the crossing it was blowing S.E. with an ebb tide going on. Yes, things got real sporty. When we went past Cape Mudge we were getting broad-sided by 6 footers...I wasn’t worried because I had the right boat for that but the GF started crying....that’s almost as bad as a bilge alarm going off..ha ha

just take your time .. don't plan on a straight line crossing . just take the waves 50 feet at a time , make the ride fun and safe for your family. always quarter off the incoming waves and same for the stern.

beemer

Back