Rule clarification for chinook, areas 18 and 19

I'm new to fishing the islands and having a hard time deciphering the rules. :eek:

From what I can tell on this page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s18-eng.htm#Chinook

The season for chinook does continue past June 12, it's just that the "only one greater than 67 cm" rule goes away? Or am I completely wrong?

marked AND unmarked?

We will wait for announcement or new notice from DFO very soon. I hope there are some new changes in the regulations after June 12. Those notices look more confusing due to formal writings from the government.

You can sign up to have fisheries notifications emailed to you for any management area you're interested in on the DFO website. I have signed up for all the area 19 fisheries notices.
I have seen anything yet for June 12.

Yes,email fishery notifications are the best way to go...having said that interpreting them is another story.
On a sidebar;some interesting Chinook information has been passed along to me...early surveys have seen a number of Columbian fish returning on the inside and making their way in a reverse pattern up the Juan de Fuca strait then crossing over to the U.S. side. This may explain why the earlier Chinooks have been showing up in greater numbers on the inside;this coupled with warmer than normal waters on the outside of W/C Vancouver Island.

AREA G WCVI CHINOOK FISHERY CLOSURE

Effective 23:59 hours Sunday, May 31, 2015 the Area G Troll fishery will close
in all Areas and Subareas on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Variation Order No. 2014-G-TR-WCVI-007 is revoked.

The total Area G Troll chinook catch to May 28 for the April/May fishing period
is approximately 27,000 chinook. It is expected that total catch by May 31
will be near the target TAC for this fishing period of 30,000 chinook.
The next fishing opportunity for Area G troll will be late July and/or August.
Any uncaught allocation from the April/May fishing period will be carried
forward.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Bryan Rusch 250-756-7294

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0474
Sent May 29, 2015 at 1005

So they will open it for only 3 thousand lbs to make up???

YEAH thats right let the fleet go after that amount how much do you figure they will go over on that....
"remember common sense is a super power...."

I read that as TAC for april-may was 30,000. There is another TAC for the summer opening that is not specified here. Any left over from apr-may will be added to the summer opening's TAC - whatever that may be.

They are not opening it just for the carry forward amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back