Rubber Boot Recommendations?

Charter Tofino

Well as another guiding season sets in, it's time to gear up. My old Vikings are thrashed and I'm looking to replace them with something of a bit higher quality. Has anyone found the low cut or neoprene boots to be more breathable? Any other recommendations? Cheers

Baffin insulated with ice claw rated for -40. Marks has them but they charge 70 more than I payed. The Dunlops are nice too but lots of guys complain of pressure on the ankles. ..

Mucks wick the moisture away so you don't end up with soaking wet stinky feet at the end of the day. Haven't bought Bamas since switching to Mucks.

I've been wearing the Xtra Tuff's for two seasons now and they are like wearing slippers. Sooooo comfortable :). For long days on the boat I would give them a try. It's nice to end the day without sore feet or angles:cool:.

Low cuts are the way to go you're not digging holes or tramping in mud so why not be comfortable?

This is where I got mine http://www.muckboots4sale.com/Jobber/

JobberMuckBoot.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i find the vikings good because in the summer a heavier boot is too hot!! and the flat soft bottom is the bees knees for traction on a wet dock or deck.. so i put a few bucks into good sox, and put a good insole in for another 20 bucks.!!! carry a couple spare pairs of socks on the boat. so a fifty dollar pair of boots lasts me two seasons and i spend a hundy on good sox, and new insoles every year.

I got some killer boots recently. They are definitely the best I have owned. The name slips my mind, but they are a brand from Europe. Super gripy on a wet deck and lots of support; solid platform. They are PU and I was surprised with how comfortable and warm they are. They are feather light too. I'll look at the name this eve at home and pass it on.

I got some killer boots recently. They are definitely the best I have owned. The name slips my mind, but they are a brand from Europe. Super gripy on a wet deck and lots of support; solid platform. They are PU and I was surprised with how comfortable and warm they are. They are feather light too. I'll look at the name this eve at home and pass it on.

Bekina Thermolites or steplites
Just got a pair for my first season in Haida Gwaii. Great boots

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up some mid-cut boots at Trotac - they are fantastic.

High enough that I don't take on water, but low enough that I can still be mobile like a ninja.

I don't recommend using them if you are the guy who walks in the shallows, and they don't help too much when wading out at the boat launch.

I think Gill was the brand? $80 range and haven't failed me yet.

They are also wide enough to keep my long HH bib legs from dragging under my heels.

Get away from unlined rubber boats they suck. Get a boot that wick moisture away for you. I loved my Vikings for years but alway had to wear Bama's in them to wick the moisture out. Now I just buy boats that do that for me.

Tuff's like John said are a really nice soft rubber boot. Really well known. They come in a cheap no insulated model and a insulated version. I can't slide my size 13 foot into them. I can't get past the narrow ankle cut of the boot. Only boot I've ever had that problem with.

Neoprene does not wick anything. It is water proof, not water resistant.
No moisture in and no moisture out.

Like all clothing, proper layering is your friend. Extreme conditions I wear polypro liner and wool sock then boot. Heat of summer, just a low cut cotton sock.

It is hard to find these baffins anymore, the ones in the local stores all have steel toe and shank. My calves still have bald spots where the sock grippers have ripped out all the hair.
http://www.baffin.com/product-p/83150000.htm

Neoprene does not wick anything. It is water proof, not water resistant.
No moisture in and no moisture out.

Like all clothing, proper layering is your friend. Extreme conditions I wear polypro liner and wool sock then boot. Heat of summer, just a low cut cotton sock.

It is hard to find these baffins anymore, the ones in the local stores all have steel toe and shank. My calves still have bald spots where the sock grippers have ripped out all the hair.
http://www.baffin.com/product-p/83150000.htm

Yes Neo does not breath but the built in liner does.... I know I own 3 pairs now :)

Back