RPM

I have a 1993 175 Merc and seems to cruise nicely @ 4000, why would you want to push a 13 year motor?

I have same motor. Was informed by mercury to keep it below 5500 rpm for extended lifetime. also I cruise below 4000 rpm for extended gas milage[8D]

RS

I'am trying out new props so I'am trying to match a prop to rpm. I normally travel at 3800 rpm

Hey Paul, What size and make of boat are you pushing? I have a 20" Trophy and would like to know how different props handle.
Klob

Klob I have a 20.5 trophy probally the same boat as you. I have a 175 main motor and a 15 hp kicker. What size motor do you have Klob and what size prop do you run thanks:)

M.T.
Depends where you are boating. Speaking from experience, after my main inboard quit at the Sandheads where the currents coming down the river runs about 8/9 knots and more my 9.9 4 stroke could not get me back up the river. I had to wait until the tides were favorable (which was 11pm. at night. Wish I had a 15 Hp. that night.

i agree with that and also didn't think of that.i've just puchased a 2004 seaswirl striper.I'm thinking of outfitting it with either a 8hp or 9.9. what is your best suggestion.thx m.t.;)

It's just the right size kicker when it get rough. I've been out fishing in 3 chop not swell's but chop and it push me just fine with out working the motor hard. If I had a high thrust I think you can probally go smaller

Back