Yamaha F300 Propellor Question

DuroBoat

I just bought a used 17p x 15 1/2 propellor for my 2021 F300. My engine came with a 19p x 15 1/4 but my my rpm is only 5400 max.
The new (used) prop has a “butterfly washer” as seen in the picture - can this be used on a new outboard?

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpeg
    IMG_1665.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 31
I just bought a used 17p x 15 1/2 propellor for my 2021 F300. My engine came with a 19p x 15 1/4 but my my rpm is only 5400 max.
The new (used) prop has a “butterfly washer” as seen in the picture - can this be used on a new outboard?
Yup

I say yes as well. That butterfly allows some flex on shifting which dampens the normal ‘clunk’ sound.
Only knowing that your 19 pitch prop restricted you to 5400 rpm, it is still a safe guess that you should see an increase of 200-300 rpm with the 17 pitch. That should get you pretty close to the sweet spot.

I know you just had the pod done recently, did you confirm that the motor mounting height was good after? cav plate should be exposed when on plane if it’s not there may be a few rpm and some efficiency to be gained there as well.

I know you just had the pod done recently, did you confirm that the motor mounting height was good after? cav plate should be exposed when on plane if it’s not there may be a few rpm and some efficiency to be gained there as well.
Ya I was wondering the same thing.. I’ve only got 40hrs on it so far so still getting use to it and just assumed the dealer installed it correctly :p. It is likely it needs some tweaking

Ya I was wondering the same thing.. I’ve only got 40hrs on it so far so still getting use to it and just assumed the dealer installed it correctly :p. It is likely it needs some tweaking
More often they’re a little on the low side it’s surprising how much difference a hole or 2 makes especially with a poded boat

We took the boat out with the new-to-me 17pitch prob and the max went from 5400 to 5800 rpm consistently. Hole shot was great and slightly higher cruise rpm (30 knots at 4200 rpm). Definitely feels like an improvement.. quickly caught one nice clipped spring off Constance and was checked by dfo / rcmp. All was good and they were friendly :)

We took the boat out with the new-to-me 17pitch prob and the max went from 5400 to 5800 rpm consistently. Hole shot was great and slightly higher cruise rpm (30 knots at 4200 rpm). Definitely feels like an improvement.. quickly caught one nice clipped spring off Constance and was checked by dfo / rcmp. All was good and they were friendly :)
Nice! Sounds like as good a trip as one can have, better boat, dinner and a good interaction with the cops. Cops on the water on a Sunny day are usually pretty happy.

I remember switching out my prop on my Yami that came with my Hewescraft, huge difference.

Great, glad it worked out for you. Sounds like a satisfying day on the water.

I’m not convinced the engine height is correct as I need someone to run it at cruise while I check the cavitation plate.. little things make a difference but constant tweaking should get the engine to a happy place. Anyone know how to check (piece of mind) that a used propeller is true? It looks as new but you never know with used stuff..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 16
As you say, it looks new and apparently ran well so I wouldn’t overthink it. As for the height I would check that out. I not only moved mine up a hole but also added wedges to get more negative trim (motor tucked in to push the bow down more) to improve the boat’s attitude on hole shot.
If you get on plane quick without much bow rise your pod is likely angled enough at the back and you don’t need wedges.

Last edited:
Back