Rockfish in the Strait of Georgia...what do you guys know about these 2 types?

snapper-1.jpg

Go long!!!! It is a little bigger than a official sized football though... piggy...

Looks like a longliner to me

That's an amazing Fish! Would love to bag one even half that size.

I have caught one of those Redstripes a few years back out of Parksville. Didn't know what it was - looked like a tiny funny looking snapper to me at the time. As kelly said, too small for consumption and probably not survived. But I don't fish there often to make a general judgement.

I like that you are involving the sportfishing community for gathering info, Brad! There is a lot of info and data that could be gathered through us for virtually no money! Very smart and appreciated such logical progress within DFO! And always happy to help out for a good cause!

Thanks for your feedback guys, sorry been busy with the IHPC meetings this week and been out of touch, nope no conspiracy theory here to secretly shut down the fishery or anything, just a request from Science to us on whether we had more info on these fish so I thought I would see what you guys think.

I agree with you Chris, I think that if we could come up with a good way to do more of this kind of info gathering through the public it could be a great way to capture info and data...I'm open to suggestions. Some big challenges are time, money and amount of data. Totally possible though. I have a couple of projects that I'm working on that I'm going to to have ready for 2012, one is a creel survey report card that I'm going to send to active anglers, experts, people who spend lots of time in specific areas to ground truth the creel survey info. Basically a one-pager that says here's what the creel survey said took place in your area last month, what do you think? Was effort up/down at certain parts of the month, was catch better some weeks than others, how does it look to you compared to last year...something simple, that people can give feedback on, and then we can use it to potentially scale the info depending on the feedback we get.

I think that rec catch monitoring will go to another level as we continue to get more public support and data from the users.

"I have a couple of projects that I'm working on that I'm going to to have ready for 2012, one is a creel survey report card that I'm going to send to active anglers, experts, people who spend lots of time in specific areas to ground truth the creel survey info. Basically a one-pager that says here's what the creel survey said took place in your area last month, what do you think? Was effort up/down at certain parts of the month, was catch better some weeks than others, how does it look to you compared to last year...something simple, that people can give feedback on, and then we can use it to potentially scale the info depending on the feedback we get."

How about considering some kind of feedback on prawn fishing prior to the commercial opening? Last year's opening around Nanoose was a joke.

Thanks

What you suggest is totally doable, Brad. You can definitely count on my input even though I am not a guide who goes out every day and would have an even better idea. I think we should get together sometimes over a beer with some buddies of mine and discuss some ideas that we have also. Better catch info is absolutely feasible if DFO is willing to listen and implement a few simple tools. Dewaar25, get ready!

What you suggest is totally doable, Brad. You can definitely count on my input even though I am not a guide who goes out every day and would have an even better idea. I think we should get together sometimes over a beer with some buddies of mine and discuss some ideas that we have also. Better catch info is absolutely feasible if DFO is willing to listen and implement a few simple tools. Dewaar25, get ready!

Well, unless someone knows where we can get an effective CWT reader for under $500, you know where my main big idea stands!

My other angle which I'd of thoughts was more doable for determining real catch would be to get a website established with a database that we can log into - enter license #, and then daily salmon catch - basic is fine - date, area, species, quantity (or whatever is critical to them for analysis). Allow US to tell THEM how much fish we are catching - difficulty being getting people to honestly do it (could take out 5% upper and 5% lower outliers maybe to wipe out the dumpasses trying to manipulate the numbers?), and getting people to actually do it - would need to add a link in bold on your fishing license so no one has an excuse that they didn't know that they were being asked to enter info! Then you have those that couldn't care less and those that don't know what a computer is - thats fine, you know the number of salmon tags bought, even if only 30% of those entered it, you extrapolate overall based on that - probably beats the accuracy of DFO and their magic returns number based off of 2 tags....don't you think??

That's all I got!

Personally, I don't read a single statement as posted by DFO "Gamechanger"(Brad) that remotely even looks like any form of solution to the accounting issues that DFO has today. At our last SFAC meeting in Nanaimo, Brad talked about guides & lodges and how the DFO was going to make a consorted effort to reach more of guides & lodges and ask them to participate in voluntary catch log books in order for DFO to grasp a more accurate snap shot of the Rec. sector catch data. I followed up by stating that we need more imput from all sport participants in order to grasp a closer reality of our sectors use and accountability for the use of our resource. I asked that we use our annual rec lic. as a measure, as it is a tool that already exists and would require the least amount of revenue to initiate. I asked DFO why they couldn't make it a requirement of license to submit our card back to DFO at the end of each season, so as the data could be tabulated and a more real and accurate snap shot of our season could be seen. Brad dismissed the idea, saying that it would be too easy for sport anglers to lie and fake the data. I replied that the lodge and charter could lie and fake the data just as easily. No reply, other than it is not feasible. I call BS! Our rec lic. is a federal document. We are required by law to record data...the data is wasted each and every year. It is an offense to knowingly lie or fudge information on a federal document...chargeable by law. Why do we waste this data every year? Brad, all of a sudden you are working on things?? Take my advice and use what you have before you, start there...work with what you have first! Quit wasting time and money, & unless your solution encompasses the entire rec sector, why bother!

DHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
All fisherman wont volunteer to send in their info at the end of the year. Thats a fact. Therefore if only a portion do it wont really be an accurate measure. Its a great idea but would need some tweaking. Maybe when we get a license each year we could give our info from the previous year in a mandatory survey form. Even then alot of people in the sports sector will try to show a lower TAC and likely lie....

Exactly why I asked to make it a requirement...

EDIT to add - also note that if you lie or omit to not catching on your license and then stopped at the dock with your daily creel, that is a chargeable offense. Most anglers do not lie or fudge their license. Irregardless it is an existing tool.

DHA.

DHA is right-- just getting data from lodges and guides, that ignores the rest of us guarantees a screwed data set. More effort is needed to get info from ALL participants in order to properly manage the resource. But even if the immediate effort is directed towards just lodges and guides-- its a start.

handing in licenses is something I suggested in the past as well but I think the problem is 1, it doesn't give them enough info they claim they need, 2, its alot of work for lazy people to take the time to get an envelope, write an address, and put on a stamp and deliver to a mailbox, 3 (probably the real reason), is its too much 'work' for DFO to tabulate 200000 licenses with tags. This is why I propose someone builds a database that we can then supply the information to online....eliminates piles of work for DFO and since there is the question of honesty regardless the method of collection, whats the diff? Whole lot easier than to filter out the outliers of no fish caught vs license full. While some of those may be legit, you know some will manipulate.

Now solution to #2 above though would be providing a dropbox at the tackle shops and launches that we can drop into - then DFO can come around to collect....still think #3 though is the main issue here (unless external volunteers could be collected of course).

A database is only as good as the data inputted, as you have already mentioned, lazy people and the fact that not everyone has a computer or lacks the skills to use one. If you want to look at the entire issue, then it will have to be a compilation of data...that is where things start to get skewed. Requesting data via computer, phone entry system and lic returns is interesting...however requiring the data as a condition of lic. would be more fruitful - no data, no license. These are all good ideas, like Kelly stated, needs refining in order to work effectively.

DHA.

Just wondering how many commie boats fish our areas around VI targeting salmon every year/season?

Also when rock fish closes for sportys I thought it was a conservation thing, not to interrupt spawning times or something. Do commies have a limit there aloud to catch a year and they can just fish year round for them even during these closed times? Its not like a salmon going up river you know what there doing. Lings and rock cods must just do there thing right out there.

Guys, you can enter all your data on salmon and ling cod on your electronic license right now.
The website is all setup to do so. Perhaps if your interested give it a try and see how it's done.
The data can be captured in the current database and would be easy to run a report.
Not sure if it would mean anything if only a few people did it.
GLG

Back