WTF-- Early herring Fishery in the Gulf

DFO is the decision maker - you can thank them. Every sector will do, what it is that they are allowed as they are directed by DFO.

the herriing caught for this event were caught at 7am Sunday ,the day i was there ,
gonna assume caught fairly close to Steveston..

I think fd you got feed a line of bs,

Maybe

thats why im asking , seems like theres alot of knowledgeable guys here ,

alot of barking goin on , i know very little about migration and resident herring

lol , just trying ta understand the herring Cycle ?? when in doubt ask ?

thx anyway...

FD

the herriing caught for this event were caught at 7am Sunday ,the day i was there ,
gonna assume caught fairly close to Steveston..

I think fd you got feed a line of bs,

From what I know about herring, basically any fish over 6 inches is a off shore WCVI herring that spawn in the GS...Based on what i have seen over the last 3 years the water temp has dropped in the Strait and we have been seeing more and more of theses bigger fish showing up earlier to stage for the spawn in the springtime...Have to wonder if theses fish are spawning earlier or as you all know as in steelhead,if you have early fish in strong number usually amount to more fish and a greater run ?... From the pictures shown bye my friend "Fog Ducker" those fish staging fish for the spring time spawn, which means non-local herring...If you were seeing fish from 3in to 5in good chance you are catching local fish that should not be fished on..... Just my 2 bits ... :)

I believe the commercial fishers were allowed to harvest some earlier because they were available... the just moved some of the allocation to do so....This number I believe was moved from what they would have been allowed in the spring.... From what I know of the herring pop. in the strait most of theses herring or all migrate out when the hit either 3 or 4 years old and do the rest of there thing off the WCVI... they come back, spawn once a year and can so for I believe 3 or 4 years..... The fish that are targeting based on the size I see are earlier Pre spawn fish which I believe the commercial industry is capped at 20%.. someone correct me if I'm wrong...
I fully agree that none of the resident herring or small one should be target ... but from what I have seen they are getting nothing but the big guys..

Thanks Derby ,

you must be on the right track , I was told almost the identical scenario by 2 other knowledgeable members ,
either that , or our resident fish here are just f'n huge this season ??

Holmes , i dont think anyone here is indicating weather it is right or wrong about harvesting these fish , that's your decision...
just wanting to know more about this is all...
" IF " these are migratory WCVI stager's , there stocks are quite healthy ....

thx Deryk...

My understanding is in the distant past Herring spawned on every beach in the Strait of Georgia (SOG). The natives would harvest them, and their spawn for food. They would anchor trees on the water to capture the spawn for food and as a way to transplant runs to other beaches. System worked good until we showed up. Fast forward to the 60's and we darn near cleaned out all the herring in the SOG. It is known as the great collapse of the herring fishery. Fast forward to today and some stock are back, from the brink of destruction, but many beaches are barren of any herring. My understanding is we had herring spawn from Campbell River to Victoria on both sides of the SOG where the beach was able to produce fish. Schools of herring would return to the beach were they were born. Currently some groups on the SOG are trying to get their beaches to be productive again, but have had trouble keeping the industry from netting up all there efforts. On a side note one company (Canfisco*) owns this fishery. They either own the boat or own the offload processing plant that it is sold to. They then market this product to the tiny Canadian market or to the rest of the world. Mostly the rest of the world. Sure would be nice if Jimmy could leave some in the SOG for mother nature, as I hear she is starving and her children crying.

* Canfisco owns and operates the largest fleet of fishing vessels in British Columbia and procures fish from hundreds of fishermen throughout the province. Parent company is Jim Pattison Group the third largest private company in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
6000 Ton its only a drop in the bucket LOL. How many ton are out there? Anyone know? FD? The fundraiser only took 120,000 lbs? Only a couple. Kill em all!!

last year estimated stock in the gulf was close to 140,000 tons. At an explotation rate of 20% the fleet could take 28,000 tons. I beleive they are schedualed to take less than 10% this year.

Who gave thoses estimates DFO. Wow that makes it better. Hey while there at it they can add another 10 per cent to your catch next yr. Then another 10 the following until theres none left. Hey then no one will be able to fish just like Newfoundland yeh baby. Kill em All!!

Who gave thoses estimates DFO. Wow that makes it better. Hey while there at it they can add another 10 per cent to your catch next yr. Then another 10 the following until theres none left. Hey then no one will be able to fish just like Newfoundland yeh baby. Kill em All!!

They use 5/6 seine boats with sonars and spend at least 2 weeks surveying the area prior to a fishery to get an idea on stock abundance. After the spawn they use another group of boats and divers to see how big of an area had spawn and how thick the eggs are on the bottem. It is quite a process.

Back