River sockeye?

fish stalker

I was standing at the meat counter at Thriftys tonight and noticed the seafood guy about to clean a fish. I noticed it was showing some bars. This caught my attention. I walked over as he cut into it and saw quite red flesh. I didnt think sockeye barred up like that but I geuss the males esp do. He said it was a sockeye and it was a previously frozen fish from this year.

For a fish to be showing bars or stripes would make me think it must have been in or near fresh water for some time? How fast do these guys color up? Ive never seen a sockeye like that even at the top of the canal. Mabey because its deep and they just shoot up? Im wondering where they have commie openings in water that has that much fresh water in it? Just wondering where this fish could have come from and why they would have fish like that.

I am pleased thiftys steers away from farmed fish. But if its buying fish caught in estuaries or rivers... I would like to let them know I dont support that and why they shouldnt. I am going to chat up a friendlier seafood guy another day and see what he knows.

Do you think this is the norm?

The Natives were netting in the Stamp/Somass this past summer for commercial purposes. Although these fish are not colored up they are still netted in fresh water.

"The purpose of these fisheries are to catch Sockeye to be sold to commercial buyers and the funds to go into a “Special Use” account managed by West Coast Aquatic for local enhancement projects. Such projects will be determined and directed by the Area 23 Harvest committee members which include gillnet and seine reps, first nations, fish and game reps and recreational fishers "

The last beach seine was conducted July 31- Aug 02
Target escapement was short on the stamp/somass sockeye too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAqMZ_ZygkA&feature=player_embedded

Back