River Regs

Fish-Rite

Hey guys/gals given changes in our freshwater regulations in the past decade or so what changes would you like to see in the future?I'm mainly talking talking rivers here and steelhead fishing.

It seems we are being regulated to death here with less and less areas to fish.If i dont want to fish with a flyrod should i be forced too??Any suggestions?

Apparantly Ministry of environments mandate is to sell more licenses why does it seem people are being driven off the flows with bully tactis,cutbacks and closures?

Simple fish need protected areas in rivers to spawn in peace. The ban of bait also protects fish because it is too effective, often injuring fish more often than artificial baits. Third, with the ever increasing human population, regulations are needed to keep a balance. If all sections of rivers were open to snaggers/flossers/poachers, then those same people would be walking all over the redds of spawning fish. Regulations and closures are needed. Have you ever tried fly fishing? It is actually a fun and rewarding experience when you catch a fish. Unlike the effortless levelwind, where you just keep reeling to land your fish. Sure to get into fly fishing is not cheap, but save a month of boozing it up every friday night and you should be set-up pretty quickly.

I think if a piece of water cannot be open to both gear and fly then it should be closed. Look at the upper cowichan, why on earth the keep that section open to fly fisherman to floss the redds is beyond me.

And yes I've tried fly fishing.

Steeliehead, whoah I think it sounds as though you are suggesting guys who fish with a flyrod don't drink on Fridays.[:0]

Poppa Swiss said it right. Watching a section of river closed to others, while being flossed by fly anglers is indeed wrong. When will people recognize that generalities about choice of gear cannot be made. Sure there are the stereotypes but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Personally I use the type of gear that will ensure high success rates. I was a guide for many years and it was my job to get into fish. Still even now when I am drifting I have two of each for myself on board. Baitcaster, Centre pin, and flyrod. Every peice of water gets it's due time with a specific technique that best covers the water.Just because I use a level wind at times, don't for a minuute think I aimlessly crank fish in while the reel does everything for me. Not a chance. That spool is free of drag and the only thing stopping it is my thumb. I have caught thousands of fish on the fly and I have caught thousands more with hardware. All equally enjoyable.
To each there own so long as we all abide by the regulations as set forth to ensure sustainability of the stocks.

IMHO:)

I enjoy all types of fishing and I personally like the fact that the cow has a flyfishing section.I would like to see more rivers do that.I would also welcome more rivers becoming catch and release.I have yet to see flyfishers flossing spawners.Most of the flyfishers are targetting trout which are found in different water than the spawning salmon.

quote:I have yet to see flyfishers flossing spawners.

well there was a video on youtube showing just that and the stamp has plenty of idiots with 20'+ leaders.

Most rivers have their upper sections closed to protect spawning steelhead - cowichan should do the same.

Steeliehead there is a reason for me asking these questions.Young punks like you that still want to be able to fish in 5 to 10 years need to realize the rules and areas to fish are tightening but fish stocks don't get any better.

What pound test line do you use if your able to just winch in fish effortlessly with your level wind?Maybe your just fishing the spawning channels or even better elk lake?

You gotta be kidding me fish-rite(wrong) did you even read his post???

Fish-rite you call yourself, "young punks like you"? Do you even know me? I wasn't bashing you, I was replying to your kinda useless thread, as if you are going to be able to change the regultions or add to them at all would surprise me. I understand you don't just winch fish in with a levelwind, but do you use them for salmon, the answer is probably no, so why don't you use something more rewarding? If you are as good as you seem to think, you should be able to "fish-rite" with whatever gear you choose. Fly rod, Centre-pin or the famous levelwind. You seemed to be the one complaining about regulations and area closures/fly only openings by stating "we are being regulated to death" or am I wrong? I agree with Poppa Swiss in that the upper Cowichan should be totally closed during steelhead spawning season. No one is forcing you to fly-fish. It is a choice, just like it is my choice to voice my opinion on here or anywhere. I dont want you to lose any sleep over this now Gramps. Oh and I do fish Elk lake by the way, with a flyrod not with powerbait floating off the bottom.

Fish-Rite - there is a new process that the Ministry started this year to work cooperatively with anglers in determining the regulations. The main idea is to open lines of consultation, and to work cooperatively towards regulations that are simplified (easier to understand), encourage angling and also ensure conservation requirements are met.

The process is called the Freshwater Fisheries Regulations Consultation Committee or FFRAC. The committee consists of members from the major NGO's, Guides, Tackle Industry, Independent Anglers and Ministry Staff. One of the guiding principles is to look for ways to simplify regulations, and another is to reduce regulations that impede encouraging new anglers from becoming interested in entering the sport.

If you want input into the process, I would suggest you join one of the major NGO's (B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers; BCWF; BCFFF). By joining and getting involved you can get your views to the table.

Close the "fly fishing section" on the upper Cowichan during steelhead spawning season for 3 months. Thats a start! As far as fishing up there its pretty much a spawning kelt area anyways, why would any "ethical fly fisherman" want to fish that area anyways during this critical point in a steelheads lifecycle anyways? The upper stamp is closed as of Jan 1st for a reason. I don't see a "fly fishing section" above the Ash river, so why would there be one on the upper Cowichan. After all the Stamp is a far inferior river plugged with hatchery clones anyways, guess the guys at Robertson Creek Hatchery know something we don't. Steeliehead as far as your comment about Fish-Rite not being able to change things on the Cowichan. I believe your wrong all it takes is a bunch of fisherman to come together and complain about something that is plain and simple wrong. After all, it only took a few whinny fly swingers to get there "fly fishing only section" put in place on the upper Cowichan, All it's gonna take is a few "actual" fisherman to get it changed back.

Pass the Pack

Sea-un im aware of the new system sound good to me hopefully they dont keep driving anglers away.

Steeliehead-What;s a centerpin anyway never heard of one?haha=Grat post Nelson!!U really told me!See u on the flows bud!

About ten yrs ago there was a article in Island angler about two guys drifting the upper Cow. They had pictures and stories of big steely's on the fly. Great article... Next month Joe the river guardian writes in and complains how unethical these two where in fly fishing for steel. Mean while he's up there with Kenzie bear and honey bee drifting and fishing for those same fish ?? I could drift up there as well, nothing is stopping me from fly fishing those spawners, but i don't. I would love them to close the upper in the spring, so i could play boat tag with those beeks all day.

Tournament Proven !

Fish-rite: Not actually sure what your sore spot is...the rivers only open to flyfishing (ie. Upper Cow), not open at all (ie. Big T) ...or perhaps it was just a trap to pounce on anyone who voiced there opinion. You seem to like calling names while sitting comfortably behind your alias. Not exactly constructive for a post that seemed to be intended for positive / democratic change.

Having said that... we need more education for newbie anglers and those set in there ways from a time when the stocks were still plentiful. For instance people need to understand why they shouldn't fish spawning areas regardless of method.
One thing that annoys me to no end is finding guided driftboats on remote wild only rivers and suddenly realizing why they have didymo (rock snot).

Back