Cwg meeting report - fraser river sturgeon

GOFISHING

Sorry for being a little overdue but here is my report on the CWG Meeting held on October 31, 2012. I hope you all understand that there are some things that I cannot comment on as it is considered confidential.

WORLD 7TH INTERNATIONAL SYPMPOSIUM ON STURGEON

The WORLD 7th International Symposium on Sturgeon is being held in Nanaimo on July 21st to 25th, 2013. The International Symposia on Sturgeon is held every four years. The last one was held in Wuhan, China. The meeting is supported and guided by the World Sturgeon Conservation Society (WSCS) and provides a platform where people ranging from scientists, to government, to those concerned about sturgeon conservation can share information and learn from each other. About 600 delegates are expected to attend the ISS7 Conference.

Here is the link to the website …

http://iss7.viu.ca/

Here is a link to the ISS7 program brochure

http://iss7.viu.ca/wp-content/upload...S7-Program.pdf

There are also other related events happening in Nanaimo that same weekend that include a fishing show and the display of “Sturgeon Art” at the local museum and art centers. If anyone has anything of interest, they can submit it for consideration by the panel through a link provided on the ISS7 website.

If you have never checked out the International Center for Sturgeon Studies located in Nanaimo here is a link to their site. http://www.viu.ca/sturgeon They are a major contributor to this event. If you click on the "Sturgeon Store" link you can check out some cool Sturgeon related merchandise. I can attest that the Laser Cut Crystal Block is very cool as I have seen it in person.

STURGEON POACHING

As with many other species, the ongoing problem of poaching Sturgeon is a very serious concern. Since most of the poaching is done during darkness (making enforcement very difficult), a blanket “NO FISHING” ban (that would include all species of fish) during hours of darkness (definition pending) is under serious consideration.

RADIO TAGGING/ SCANNERS

Forty (40) existing, and hopefully a further forty (40) yet to be purchased, 10-Year Radio Transmitting Tags, will be put into service this spring. The migration habits for the selected sturgeon can then be monitored for the next 10 years (the life expectancy of the tags). Since the gender of a sturgeon cannot be confirmed externally, or by DNA, it is hoped that a portable ultrasound can be obtained to determine their sex (male or female).

So far there have been approx. 51,000 non-transmitting tags deployed through the Sturgeon tagging program. These tags provide the location of the sturgeon each time it is caught and scanned by someone in the program. A BIG THANK YOU for all their efforts.

BEST PRACTICES / STURGEON HANDLING VIDEO

The Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society will be producing a video to better communicate and inform both recreational anglers and guided anglers about the proper procedures contained within the Best Handling Practices Guideline and the proper C & R process for Sturgeon.

The benefits obtained through the use of such a platform are endless.

[example: Guides could send both a proper C & R video and the Best Handling Guideline video to clients prior to their trip so they can then be aware of the proper procedure when out on the water.]

POPULATION STATUS UPDATE

The 2011 sturgeon population estimates showed a slight decline in 2011 (44,713) but overall it remains fairly stable over the last few years. There is optimism to see the numbers rise as there seem to be a lot of juvenile sturgeon. Hopefully the low angling results that were reported for most of the year are not a reflection of the population figures to come for 2012.

COMMERCIAL USE AWARENESS

All recreational angling boats, whether guided or not, must be aware that boats having a “commercial use” of the waterways have the right-of-way. The use of the waterways is regulated under Transport Canada. The recent rapid increase in the number angling boats on the river has made this issue even more serious than before. If this problem remains unchecked it could lead to regulation changes that would prohibit or restrict non-commercial boats from anchoring in the river channel.

FIN FISH FOR BAIT

Presently the use of Fin Fish (FF) for bait is only allowed while fishing for Sturgeon in the Fraser River. The use of FF is not allowed if fishing within other water flows like the Harrison River or Pitt River. The term FF includes such baits as Eulachon, Pike Minnows, Lamprey, and any part of a fish such as the gills or belly.

Group discussed and to submit for consideration a revision that would allow the use of FF as bait while fishing for Sturgeon in fresh or tidal waters.

FRASER RIVER STURGEON CONSERVATION SOCIETY

Do You see something sturgeon related but don't know who to call?
Call the Sturgeon Society @ 604.664.7664 est. 107 or on their Mobile Number @ 778.322.7345.

You can also contact them by email: info@frasersturgeon.com

STURGEON AWARENESS

Will try to organize a “Sturgeon Awareness Day” at Matsqui Trail Park probably sometime in August of 2013. First off, I have to get permission to hold the event there.

The purpose is to raise and/or increase awareness, to anglers and the public, about anything Sturgeon.

Groups that would hopefully participate may include:

Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society
B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
DFO
Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association
Both local and national (name brand) fishing suppliers
Radio Stations
Many others …..

It is a big project but one I hope will be well received.

That's about all I can think of. Again, sorry for the delay.

Back