Rigging Coyote Spoons?

I've always just tied the leader onto the ring on the spoon. But then I end up with a leader of a specific length on every single spoon and it starts to clutter up the tackle box. Changing leader lengths is a big hassle too.

It seems like it would be easier to just tie a few 48", 60", 72" leaders with chain swivels on the flasher end and snap swivels on the spoon end. Then you can just attach the spoon to the snap swivel?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Get a couple of straws from McD's and cut them into 2 inch lengths. You then wrap the leader around 3 or 4 fingertips and make a bundle about 3 inches long, this you then slide into the tubes. I find this a handy way to store leaders and it allows me to check them for rubs or nicks each time I put the tackle away and replace if necessary. Nothing worse than losing a fish because your leader had a nick in it.

The straw trick is what I'm doing with my leaders now. I pretty much just tie them 60" with a chain swivel and then manage the mess with a straw. Works well.

I'm just thinking that it would be nice to have a bunch of different lengths of leaders that I could easily swap in and out. That way my leaders are independent of my spoons. It would make swapping spoons faster, and would be less mess in the tackle box.

I guess the real question is whether the snap swivel would mess up the action of the spoon?Has anyone tried connecting a coyote directly to a snap swivel?

For the price of a piece of leader tie a new one then you know its new and not been damaged if fishing is that great I want to fish where you are [:p]

Wolf

I live in Calgary so I have to make the most of my time on the water. We usually hit Ucluelet or Bamfield so yes, the fishing is usually pretty good!

My problem is that I hate tying leaders. I've lost enough fish over the years to bad knots that I've become a bit paranoid about retying them all the time.

Dont take this the wrong way but you better practise and learn how to tie better knots this is the most important part of fishing and once you get comfortable you should be able to tie the basic improved fishermans knot in about 5 seconds me personally after I get a big fish or a fish which has inhaled the hook I retie a new leader.

Good luck Wolf

For what its worth, I've always heard that the action is better when you tie the leader directly to the spoon, instead of using some kind of swivel or snap.

Bad knots? Try uniknot, used to be called the Duncan Loop. It's just about the only knot you need. Strong, retains almost 100% line strength (improved clinch is 85-90%, fast and easy to tie, versatile, tight or as a loop, fine tippets or heavy line, in fact the heavier the line the easier to tie.

I use it for just about everything, salt, fresh, flies, snelling hooks, uniknot to uniknot splices, braided, mono, whatever.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots2/uniknot2.html

http://www.killroys.com/knots/duncan.htm

After figgering out the right length i tied a very small
snap swivel to one end.
you can switch spoons easily without all those coiled leaders
in your tackle box.
of course you have to keep a look out for nicks and abrasions
and re tye when neccessary.

I should be clear: I've been fishing for 30+ years, so I'm decent at tying knots. I don't make a habit of loosing fishing because of bad knots. However, every once in a while you lose a fish and have to wonder if it wasn't a bad knot. Last year I switched to the Palomar knot. However, looking at the uni-knot pictures, I just might give it a whirl as well...

I really do dislike having to constantly tie new leaders when I'm on the water and the bite is on! Especially if I don't have a couple of other people around to watch the rods and mind the helm. I would much rather have 10-15 pre-tied leaders that I've tested and I know will work.

I think I'm going to experiment with hooking up my Coyotes onto smallish snap swivels and see how that effects the action in the water.

I pre-tie much of my gear and then store it in flasher bags, Silver Hoarde carry them here in US, they hold 6 flashers w mesh and clear plastic pouches. For flashers and spoon ties, I use 30# flouro a 6' leader and tie right to welded ring on spoon. I also use the palomar..very few lost fish.

:)

Jim

Using a swivel or clip in front of the coyote spoon is no good! The added weight and drag will dampen the action. Tie it directly.

I fished with a guy that used gammie triple hooks on his coyotes. I was wondering how much this affects the action? We had good successs but it was in an area the fish were not picky.I remeber we did have one hook give out before 30lb test which was a bummer but here on the ECVI not many fish are over 30lbs. Anyone have any thoughts? might try this weekend

"I've always just tied the leader onto the ring on the spoon. But then I end up with a leader of a specific length on every single spoon and it starts to clutter up the tackle box. Changing leader lengths is a big hassle too.

It seems like it would be easier to just tie a few 48", 60", 72" leaders with chain swivels on the flasher end and snap swivels on the spoon end. Then you can just attach the spoon to the snap swivel?"

I switched over to this routine a few years ago and it's one of the best things I've done. Instead of a whole ****load of hootchie and spoon rigs cluttering up the tackle box, all I have is numerous leaders with snaps of various lengths wrapped around corplas. I have not noticed a reduction in catches using a small #35 snap attached to the lure and it makes life a whole lot easier. So from personal experience teamchachi this is a"GREAT IDEA!"

Uni-knot and forty lb. Maxima direct to the spoon. Hit a good fish and change the leader. This winter I boated two fish on the same leader and foolishly broke the rule and yup the next fish took the back hook off my hootchie and left town.

I use straws and have doubles of what I fish pre-tied. I also have pre-cut lengths of leader with a barrel swivel tied to one end. Sounds anal but it works for me. I wouldn't say my tackle box is cluttered but it sure is full.

Snap swivel sounds like a good idea, but I have a hard time changing what works.

Part of it may be we get to fish year round and you don't. I can imagine how charged up I would be if I lived in Calgary and was out here on a trip. I find if I'm off the water for a few weeks the first trip out I have to slow down.

One morning I was getting the lines down and pitched out my fourth flasher and spoon. Too bad I hadn't clipped it onto my mainline.

In response to your original post, I'll agree with those that tie directly to the spoon... close to the joint in the ring as possible.
Don't use snaps on spoons or plugs unless you are practicing that ancient art of "vegetarianism" which, as we all know, derives it's origins to the Salish word for "can't hunt well".

I agree - master the palomar or fisherman's and they will do almost all the knots you can think of.

For hoochies, I tie my own two hook set ups and they are a pain to tie up in a rocking boat. For tricky rigups do them at home. But for a simple fisherman knot or palomar - don't worry.

I too, used the little pieces of straw trick. But I didn't like the way the straws gave a kink to the line and longer leaders of heavier test are hard to jam into a straw.
I've found something faster and better. Take some twist ties that come with black garbage bags ( the double wire ones are the best) and then snip them with wirecutters into about 1" lengths. Then just coil your leader and give the tie one twist.

Heading to Port Hardy tomorrow!

Back