Rigging Buzz Bombs and Zingers

John Ingram

Anyone have a special way that they rig Buzzbombs and Zingers ?? I set them up for shore casting in a unique way and I was wondering if anyone else has a secret method.

We use short leader about 1 foot tied to a swivel, the other end to the hook...in the middle the BB and bumper on the hook side. I used to use wire to accomplish the same thing as the leader, got lazy...the fish don't care. :)

The way I set them up for shore fishing. The small split ring will stop the hook from turning upwards against the buzz bomb
and the small bead and toothpick will stop the buzz bomb from moving away from the hook. Since doing this I have had better
hook us and less fish lost. Works well for mooching also

Attachments

• Buzz bomb Zinger Rig.jpg
    Buzz bomb Zinger Rig.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 185
I use 400-50lb braided mainline with a short top shot of mono 15-20 lbs (about 18 -24 inches) tied with a double uni. Buzz bomb, bumper and hook in that order. Double uni is glued with clear nail polish to remove knot bump. Double uni goes through rod eyes easily. Change out after large fish or daily, or if you notice a nick or whatever.

Well, I will tell you this. I was Halibut fishing two weeks ago at Nootka. I was getting bored, so, I pulled out my old 1975 Diawaii spinning rod/reel and tied on a very heavy sting Zelda without the bumper. I had 25 lb test line on the reel. Two casts in the middle of the Sound and bang, a decent Spring grabbed it and started to run like crazy. What a great feeling and memories of the 1970's when that was the only way I fished. Then snap....It was gone. I can't understand what happened. Gone as in it snapped the line at the knot. Lesson learned, rig things right. Great way to fish though.

I liked the angled bumpers and I used to know a knot I could snell to a single octopus hook with one end still attached to the reel. Just lure, bumper, hook. KISS.
But mostly I've been using other jigs with one assist hook, lately.
I spent many hours chucking buzz bombs off the siene boat waiting for openings. Salmon, bottom fish, and the odd halibut. Early 80's mostly.

I liked the angled bumpers and I used to know a knot I could snell to a single octopus hook with one end still attached to the reel. Just lure, bumper, hook. KISS.
But mostly I've been using other jigs with one assist hook, lately.
I spent many hours chucking buzz bombs off the siene boat waiting for openings. Salmon, bottom fish, and the odd halibut. Early 80's mostly.

I have used the angled bumpers a few times but still have the occasional problem with the hook flipping back on itself . when I tie to a small split ring
this is stopped. In the past I have found that a buzz bomb or zinger will ride up the line by about 1 or 2 feet when it is in action. and if a fish hits when the
hook is that far away you will feel thee fish hit but no hookup The upper bead stop's this. And I only use 17#test main line and a 30#test leader

Well, I will tell you this. I was Halibut fishing two weeks ago at Nootka. I was getting bored, so, I pulled out my old 1975 Diawaii spinning rod/reel and tied on a very heavy sting Zelda without the bumper. I had 25 lb test line on the reel. Two casts in the middle of the Sound and bang, a decent Spring grabbed it and started to run like crazy. What a great feeling and memories of the 1970's when that was the only way I fished. Then snap....It was gone. I can't understand what happened. Gone as in it snapped the line at the knot. Lesson learned, rig things right. Great way to fish though.

Always use a 30# leader it makes a big difference. and always use the bumper and a small bead above it. it really helps the spin on the downfall

Back