Rigger mounted rodholders, who has what?

View attachment 63310I prefer to run my rod holders directly out the back of the boat. Hardly ever use the boom mounted rod holders on my riggers. This set up helps keep the kelp off my lines and is way easier to see the bite. You miss far less bites - only one place to watch.
Rods ran like this are fine for those that run their boat from the main helm as you are sitting there faced backwards most of the time anyways. doesn’t work so good with a boat with a rear helm station on a cabin boat. As we face forward most of the time and having the rods directly behind you takes them way out of your vision. Having the rod mounted on the riggers and pointing out brings the rods tips easily into your peripheral vision. Even so when in dirty water it’s nice to have the option of running the rods out the back to help keep the lines clean.

I have had 2 of the boom mounted metal tube rod holders break on the plastic bases. The plastic over time in the sun with uv will eventually weaken/break down the plastic. Scotty has come out with a thicker base on the rod holders to fix the issue. As in with a lot of there products more metal in the parts would fix a lot of the scotty problems.

I have had 2 of the boom mounted metal tube rod holders break on the plastic bases. The plastic over time in the sun with uv will eventually weaken/break down the plastic. Scotty has come out with a thicker base on the rod holders to fix the issue. As in with a lot of there products more metal in the parts would fix a lot of the scotty problems.

Apparently the new updated bases have a bunch of fibreglass in them now, so I was told.

This is first hand. Same happend on a buddies boat as well (he wasn't as lucky to keep his rod/reel). I won't ever trust this setup again. Changed this setup with Striker on the gunnels. I think the 247 Dual Rod Holder would work, given it's not a seperate piece connected to the base.

I would note....Scotty did a FANTASTIC job and remedying the situation, as always their customer service rocks!

Attachments

• Lost Rod-Reel Scotty-1.jpg
    Lost Rod-Reel Scotty-1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 93
View attachment 63310I prefer to run my rod holders directly out the back of the boat. Hardly ever use the boom mounted rod holders on my riggers. This set up helps keep the kelp off my lines and is way easier to see the bite. You miss far less bites - only one place to watch.
How do you like those Stealth rod holders?

This is first hand. Same happend on a buddies boat as well (he wasn't as lucky to keep his rod/reel). I won't ever trust this setup again. Changed this setup with Striker on the gunnels. I think the 247 Dual Rod Holder would work, given it's not a seperate piece connected to the base.

I would note....Scotty did a FANTASTIC job and remedying the situation, as always their customer service rocks!
That's exactly where mine cracked and fortunately noticed before it broke.
I would never trust those rod holders again.

Had the scottys break on me a number of times a few different styles lots of hours and fishing deep takes its toll, I built some about 5 years ago, could be time for a refresh soon but they’re bullet proof and with uhmw machined sleeves the rod comes out very easy.
4CD5FD2B-2F09-4FC9-BF42-9E19E083039E.jpeg

Rods ran like this are fine for those that run their boat from the main helm as you are sitting there faced backwards most of the time anyways. doesn’t work so good with a boat with a rear helm station on a cabin boat. As we face forward most of the time and having the rods directly behind you takes them way out of your vision. Having the rod mounted on the riggers and pointing out brings the rods tips easily into your peripheral vision. Even so when in dirty water it’s nice to have the option of running the rods out the back to help keep the lines clean.
Notice the rear helm beside the rod holders? Just reach over and grab a rod. I run the gear from the back of the boat, no issues seeing the bite and the way my Grady seating is configured the other guys with eagle eyes face the rear...all good.

Notice the rear helm beside the rod holders? Just reach over and grab a rod. I run the gear from the back of the boat, no issues seeing the bite and the way my Grady seating is configured the other guys with eagle eyes face the rear...all good.
And I'm sure over time you'll end up catching a fish or two. Just stick to it and you'll get there young fella. Maybe one day you'll even get a double header. ;)

For your set up for sure searun, by rear helm station I meant the guys with cabin boats and the rear helm at the back of the cabin.

For your set up for sure searun, by rear helm station I meant the guys with cabin boats and the rear helm at the back of the cabin.
Roger that...was just trying to explain my situation and why it works well for boats configured similar to my tub. The big benefit over the season is being able to avoid the weeds, the weeds....aaaaahhhh.

I made a base for my orcas out of starboard so I could change the angles. I didn’t like them coming off the boom. LOVE this setup.

Attachments

• FF6BCC33-3C92-4ACE-AC15-48F2535BF8CF.jpeg
    FF6BCC33-3C92-4ACE-AC15-48F2535BF8CF.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 128
How do you like those Stealth rod holders?
So far they seem to be OK. Nice thing is they aren't damaging my rod handles like the scotty orca's were. Fairly easy to get out and they lock the rod in place so it can't move until you lift it from the front. I loved the concept of the orca design, but found it had 2 flaws. First was the cork handle was really pressed into a hard plastic holder creating damage to the cork. Second, the reverse side of the holder meant the pressure on the rod wants to open the orca and on earlier versions it could release unexpectedly.

So far they seem to be OK. Nice thing is they aren't damaging my rod handles like the scotty orca's were. Fairly easy to get out and they lock the rod in place so it can't move until you lift it from the front. I loved the concept of the orca design, but found it had 2 flaws. First was the cork handle was really pressed into a hard plastic holder creating damage to the cork. Second, the reverse side of the holder meant the pressure on the rod wants to open the orca and on earlier versions it could release unexpectedly.
Just turn the second Orca upside down and both sides will press on the hinge side! Simple.

Thanks, looks like like a good system and I think I'll pick up a pair to try.

What's your verdict on the rod holders themselves Searun? I've only talked to guys that run them off the sides, but I run straight out the back so your opinnion would be great. Plan to grab three next time I'm by the shop.

What's your verdict on the rod holders themselves Searun? I've only talked to guys that run them off the sides, but I run straight out the back so your opinnion would be great. Plan to grab three next time I'm by se
See you already covered this. Have you noticed any shortcomings that earn them an OK verdict instead of great?

Shortcomings I noticed are, their rail mount system doesn't work. You need to drill through the rail and secure it with a stainless bolt to prevent spinning. I also noticed that sometimes the rubber is a bit grabby when you are trying to pull them out. The way to overcome that is to pull up from the rod foregrip. Thus the OK rating so far. Their positive attributes are they do not damage the rod cork, the rods don't spin when the boat turns (an issue with Orca's) and once you get used to how they work its fairly simple to get them out of the holder.

Back