Reporting others fishing in an RCA.

supermario

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...sud/OctopusItoHoskynChannelChart3539-eng.html

I spotted not just one, but three boats jigging for lings (I would imagine) in and around Peck Island over the past weekend; they couldn't be closer to the middle of one of the largest RCAs in the Discovery Islands and I find it a disheartening the area isn't patrolled a bit better.

I didn't have my handheld VHF with me but if I did, what would have been the proper protocol to call something like this in? Or should I might my own business. Thoughts?

I didn't have my handheld VHF with me but if I did, what would have been the proper protocol to call something like this in? Or should I might my own business. Thoughts?

Absolutely call it in! I do whenever I see it. DFO can't be everywhere so we need to be eyes out there too. ;)

@Jammer Thanks for the #7277....I have always just used the toll free number. :cool:

I approach them first and ask if they know they are fishing in an rca, if they play dumb and keep fishing I report them if I'm able to at the time. I have had on a couple of occasions up indian arm found that they were just unaware they were in an rca and had no fishing regs with them and were thankful for the warning, could've been bs but both times were families out having fun and not really serious fishing types. I think you need to pick your spots here but obvious violations really need to be reported.

if target fishing for bottom fish
nice to give a warning to them if unaware of the RCA
as stated if they don't pull up and move on,,, call them in ....

if target fishing for bottom fish
nice to give a warning to them if unaware of the RCA
as stated if they don't pull up and move on,,, call them in ....

Just to clarify for others on the forum there is NO fishing allowed within RCA's whether you are targeting bottom fish or any other species (salmon, herring, etc.). See below. I've found that many people who are fishing in RCA's honestly don't know they are doing anything wrong and are open to hearing from those willing to let them know they are breaking the law. As mentioned above, DFO enforcement is lacking and it's on us to help be the eyes and ears out there. We are all required to know the current regs when we go fishing but clearly many do not. I think DFO's cumbersome website is part of the problem as it should be a LOT easier to determine what sort of fishing is permitted in what different areas.

In the meantime it usually doesn't hurt to approach someone fishing illegally to let them know. I try to get their reg number and a pic of the boat before approaching in case they are dicks in which case I will report but usually they are appreciative that someone was looking out for them/fish and will move on and hopefully read the regs next time.

Permitted Fishing Within Rockfish Conservation Areas

Quillback rockfish

Recreational fishing
  • invertebrates by hand picking or dive
  • crab by trap
  • shrimp/prawn by trap
  • smelt by gillnet
Commercial fishing
  • invertebrates by hand picking or dive
  • crab by trap
  • prawn by trap
  • scallops by trawl
  • salmon by seine or gillnet
  • herring by gillnet, seine and spawn-on-kelp
  • sardine by gillnet, seine, and trap
  • smelt by gillnet
  • euphausiid (krill) by mid-water trawl
  • opal squid by seine
  • groundfish by mid-water trawl
Fishing activity not listed above is restricted.

I have stopped and talked to many different people fishing at Patey Rock RCA over the last couple years. The first time the people claimed ignorance and moved on - smiling the whole time. The next time I stopped and talked to someone fishing there, he just looked at me a basically said "F^&" off. I saw him a week later fishing there, as I approached him, he picked up and headed to Saltspring. I watched him as I pretended to go on my way and he just circled around and kept fishing. The last time I stopped to tell someone, the driver looked at me, pointed to his fishing partner and said "First nations". I assume they are allowed? As fate would have it I saw the same fellows fishing in an RCA over by Forrest island a couple weeks later. I stopped to tell them, but I recognized them and just kept going on my way.
Thanks for the #7277 number. From now on that's what I will do.

I've heard that rock fish and lingcod stocks may be making a comeback! Partly due to the RCA's, partly due to the limits I would think. When RCA's were brought in I lost some of my favorite jigging spots, we used to go limit out in 15 minutes after a day of trolling. No wonder the stocks suffered. 8 rock cod each so 32 in the boat back then. I can't believe people are out there today that wouldn't respect the future of the stocks! Thanks for the #7277 number as I see people not respecting the RCA's regularly! I won't bother talking to them...were all expected to read the regs before we head out. And I want my kids to enjoy jigging something up in the future!

Call Observe, Record, Report hotline 1-800-465-4336. This is DFO hotline and what local fisheries officers have told me to use. They say these calls also are used to determine man hours for enforcing different areas, so the more calls the better!

Thanks for the number, have spoken to a few boats when I spot them fishing in a confirmed RCA, response has been genuine mistakes to threats. I must say I have told the same boat on numerous occasions, no more telling that boat. Pics and a phone call will now be the procedure, may stop their actions.

HM

Thanks for the number, have spoken to a few boats when I spot them fishing in a confirmed RCA, response has been genuine mistakes to threats. I must say I have told the same boat on numerous occasions, no more telling that boat. Pics and a phone call will now be the procedure, may stop their actions.
HM
Good for you. We need more people like yourself who call it in when they see offenders like this.

Back