replacing stringers and floor

dohboy

ok found a double eagle in a back yard , hull is solid(needs new paint) but the floor is rotten under one seat and weak all around, so i am going to assume the stringers will be shot as well, how hard is this to replace or how much to have someone do it, i can get the boat reallllly cheap, but just not sure if the work is worth it, or if i have the patience and time to do it myself
i am sure there will be some good advice out there
tks in advance
dohboy

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

ok found a double eagle in a back yard , hull is solid(needs new paint) but the floor is rotten under one seat and weak all around, so i am going to assume the stringers will be shot as well, how hard is this to replace or how much to have someone do it, i can get the boat reallllly cheap, but just not sure if the work is worth it, or if i have the patience and time to do it myself
i am sure there will be some good advice out there
tks in advance
dohboy

No problem. Nothing that about $700 and 10 hours won't fix. The thing is, will you be happy with the hull if it is fixed but not pretty?

Won't really know until you rip up the floors. Stringers could fair better than you might think. But it is a project that can be worth while seeing that it is a double eagle. Just make sure you check the transom area as well.

Been there done that.Didnt do stringers they were solid.Floor comes up easy enough.Just a few screws holding it.Took seats out with a zip wheel.Cut along base all the way around.Use old floor for a pattern.Old floor was half inch make new floor out of 5/8 plywood about 1/2inch bigger so you can angle the edges to drop into the hull.It will take some fitting have patience.When its right you will end up with a notch all down the edge to the transom and acoss the transom.I built a well at the back between the stringers and out about a foot and angled it back up to the floor .Install bilge pump there.excellent for beer storage also.If you get any water in the boat it will run down the sides and into the transom and get pumped out.When you have the new floor sized up make sure you put 3 deck flanges in 1 big one in the center and 2 small ones on the outside of the stringers.Take the plywood out and encapsulate in mat and resin dont need much on the bottom just make sure its ALL COVERED install in boat .2 inch stainless screws through floor into stringers make sure you seal screws between stringers and floor. 2 layers of mat and resin on floor and up side of hull 2 inches.Colour resin to suit on last coat .Word of advise get a pair of disposable coveralls and a respirator when you take old floor out the floatation material is the itchest compound known to man it drove me crazy for a couple of days.Seats go back in just a strip of mat and resin to hold them in.Make sure that you are organized and you can easily do it in a coule of weekends.Any questions just ask. DAN

the transom seemed solid, but at the top the outer layer of fiberglass was starting to seperate from the wood, wood seemed solid but i am sure water could get in there, just when i had myself convinced not to do it i am having second doubts[:p]
tks for the advice

Its a lot of work but it can be done if you have a nice heated garage all the better but at this time of year being a wee bit damp better have good cover just make sure once you do get "into" it any bit of rot anywhere replace IT all as the old saying goes "GO BIG OR GO HOME"you only want to do a project like this once it is a messy job.

Good luck Wolf

Yeah Dohboy thats the next thing to do on the old girl. It looks like I may be getting a bit of water down there too_One of my buddies had his transom on his eagle done last year.Some guy out in Saanich did it .Man is it solid now.The procedure sounded simple but he said it was like 800 cash to do.Sorry hes in Mexico working or I would find out where.Also did the hull have any stress cracks at where the engine well and transom joined right below the motor its the deck or top of the boat if it didnt the boat hasnt been pounded into the swells.Or gone down the logging roads at a hundred miles an hour.Dont be discouraged a little sweat equity and some time and you could have a beautiful boat.Wolf is right about the fiberglass you must watch the humidity and air temperature at this time of year.Heated shop is best bet.Water is the kiss of death for curing fiberglass. DAN

Did mine years ago including the stringers. Pretty easy but get it under cover in a heated area as the resin is tempertaure sensitive and if you use expanding foam to fill inbetween the stringers it will react the best when its in a warmer environment. Messy job so cover up and most important, wear a proper vapour respriator at all times.

4" grinder with a small diamond blade used for cutting tile will cut through your old fiberglass floor like nothing. I have a book called runabout renovation which was very helpfull. It turned out so well I fiberglassed my deck, its indestructable.

http://www.amazon.com/Runabout-Renovation-Find-Fiberglass-Speedboat/dp/0071580085

i am just beginning the process. bought a 1981 ZETA 18 foot. Floor and stringers already out. Beam is 5'8". Which way should the plywood lay? Cut an 8' sheet at 5'8'" or can i rip the 8' sheet at 42" then put the side pieces in.thanks

In construction, we always run the plywood perpendicular to the joists. The plywood is stronger this way as it is harder to bend it across the length then the width. I dont see why this would not also apply to stringers in a boat.

Old Buck Iam not familar with the Zeta hull just the Double Eagle.But what I found was that doing the plywood length wise like you suggested i couldnt get the floor flat and the water would have run into the center of the boat.So I put it perpindicular to the stringers as marula suggests it is stronger .At the butt joints of the plywood i had some 2x4s wrapped in mat and resin and joined the floor together with them .Perpindicular to the stringers. Not length wise . 2 inch stainless screws trough the plywood into the 2x4s.A little mat and resin on it.I did a trial fit of everthing first.Good luck with the project let us know how it turns out. DAN

Danthewire is right, getting the floor level is important. With fiberglass, you are basically just "glueing" the boat together, so lots of screws to hold the deck to the stringers are important. I have never seen a smaller Eagle apart, but as long as you have enough room, make sure you have both inboard and outboard stringers to attach the deck to. HEAVY roving on the deck. And if you want to get fancy, glass in some blocks to screw the seats to (So they are isolated from the floor). That way, you don't poke screws into your deck to rot it out again. First rule about fiberglass, THOU SHALT NOT DRILL A HOLE IN A CORED STRUCTURE.

I did a strip-to-the-hull stringer and deck replacement last year on an old fiberglass Glasscraft, and it turned into a major and pretty expensive chore, taking several unfun days.
The key to Part One, Demolition,was a grinder with a diamond blade,and a felt marker. We drew the line of the original deck on the hull before we cut it out, and also traced the position of the stringers as we removed the fiberglass structures that held them in place. Be sure you have an enclosed, well-heated garage, because you'll need at least a couple of days of drying out and warming up the hull after you remov the decay. Also be aware that you'll need intermediate support for the hull if you don't have long slats on your boat trailer, as the hull becomes very flexible without its stringers!
We replaced the old stringers with pressure-treated fir, and it took a fair amount of time to hand-plane and whittle them down to fit the hull. By all means remove the old stringers in as intact a state as possible to use for templates; opefully, they're less disintegrated than mine were.
My buddy is a professional fiberglasser, so that made it pretty quick to cut mat and cloth, mix resin and catalyst, and do the job, but it still took a long time to bond and glass the stringers into place. Before you do that, turn off the lights in the garage, and lie under the boat while someone shines a spotlight onto the hll. When you're looking through fiberglass-dust-coated goggles, it's easy to make a hard-to-detect slit through the hull with the grinder that will give your bilge pump an uncalled-for workout later on.
In the end, I wound up with a renewed hull at a lot less than a new replacement boat would have cost me, but if I had bought a used boat with a sound deck and hull, I'd have probably been ahead of the game. Above all, heed every word you see here about coveralls, goggles, and respirators. Fiberglass is no fun to inhale,get in your eyes, breathe, or wear to bed.

Old buck has some good shots and info on his restoration, hopefully he can pass these on before he heads for the big Islands. Turns out the boat was a Campion, not a Zeta, but the problems of a stipped out hull and the flexing while replacing stringers is likely a common problem...Joe

Back