Replacing original hooks on spoons

Who would like to see manufacturers offer spoons without hooks? We all have our favourite hook styles and brands and so long as the spoons have decent split rings we could rig them the way we like, without discarding hooks unnecessarily. Any thoughts?
Interesting. Some manufacturers put a certain size on so the spoon reacts properly.

Who is your favourite barbless hook manufacturer?

Welded rings are over-rated. They may look strong but 20% fail and they don’t offer any flexibility. Top quality split rings allow you to add crane swivels or even closed-eye hooks. I use 70+ lb. #5 or # 6 split rings with spoons under 4” and 100+ lb. #8 split rings for spoons over 4”. I’ve never had one fail and they give me way more flexibility.

When it comes to choosing the right hooks for your fishing adventures, there are a few key considerations, especially if you're running commercial-style or mixed metal setups, including brass or nickel-plated gear.

In the world of commercial fishing, blued hooks have been favored for a specific reason: they act as sacrificial anodes. This means that the hook takes on the role of protecting the metal finish from degrading too quickly. If you were to add a stainless hook to the same setup, the blade's lifespan would diminish rapidly. Additionally, blued hooks play a crucial role in helping with electrolysis charge, depending on whether you want to achieve a positive or negative effect.

Now, let's talk about running stainless blades. If you have stainless blades, it's generally recommended to pair them with stainless hooks, as this ensures compatibility. However, if you're looking to heat up the charge and attract certain species, then running blued or carbon hooks can be a game-changer.

Now, what about painted blades? Well, for the most part, the hook you choose doesn't have a significant impact on performance. As long as the hook meets your expectations and performs well, you're good to go. However, it's important to note that relying solely on stainless hooks may not always be the best strategy. While they do a fantastic job at keeping rust stains off your lures, they can have fail rates over time due to deterioration. In some cases, they can become brittle and break, regardless of the size of the fish you're targeting.

As for my personal preference, I've transitioned to using hi-carbon hooks about 90% of the time. It wasn't always this way, though – during my younger years, stainless hooks took priority in my arsenal. But hey, times change, and our preferences evolve as we learn more about the intricacies of our craft.

So, my fellow anglers, when it comes to hooks, consider the type of metal you're using, the desired effect, and the expected lifespan. With these factors in mind, make an informed decision and reel in those fish with confidence. Let's keep our hooks sharp, our gear in top shape, and our spirits high as we embark on more thrilling fishing adventures!

RVP.

Just received my batch of West Coast Tackle spoons. They look great. Like the swivel and the hooks look stout.
Anyone have an opinion on the hooks themselves? Good bad? Fish stay on fall off?

I don't find too many of these light weight painted spoons really out last the hooks they come with anyway. I usually dump them once the paint starts coming off after only a few outings.

I don't find too many of these light weight painted spoons really out last the hooks they come with anyway. I usually dump them once the paint starts coming off after only a few outings.
have you tried West Coast Tackle Spoons?

Back