Replacing of side panels

RogersonCrusoe

Hey guys,

My boat's sidepanels are painted plywood and this season they really started to peel/rot. I guess the previous owner cut some corners when doing the work as the plywood isn't even marine grade and the grain was showing. The below pic is from a couple seasons ago and you can see some bubbling starting already underneath fish on the ruler. So after Christmas, replacement plans will commence and off they come, but I'm looking for some advice for those who have done it before. Obviously I don't want to repeat the same painted plywood unless it's properly covered and sealed.

1607804945236.png

(And yes, I will be turning this into a build thread and it's just one of many projects I hope to get to this off-season)

My fishing deck side and transom panels were installed by the previous owner and I understand are black starboard. Looks great and last forever, well way beyond the life of the boat. The transom panel has two cutouts for long marine plastic hatches that are inserted into it.

Last edited:
If you want to use plywood get it with a Crezon overlay. It's weatherproof and is designed to take finishes well. It's commonly used for outdoor signs.

I would second the Starboard or get a hold of some 1/2“ HDPE board. I’ve been working with that stuff in different thicknesses now for a couple years and love it. I keep a couple different thickness of it on hand at all times. It may be a little more pricey than wood but in all honestly this day and age nor a whole lot more, wood prices are through the roof. And once it’s done with the HDPE it’s done for life. Only thing is you can’t paint it nor glue it or anything to it.

Currently going through the same thing. As others have said I bought a couple of sheets of starboard. Removed the old panels the other weekend, planning on cutting and installing the new ones tomorrow. We’ll see how it goes

Arborite over plywood. Cheaper than Starboard and comes in ton of colors

Hi Guys, another option is aluminum checker plate. I replaced my vinyl wrapped plywood side panels which were starting to look like crap on an older Kingfisher with the checker plate. It’s easy to cut with either a table saw or jigsaw and makes for a clean finished look. It’s fairly reasonable price wise also. I cut strips from a 24 x 24 sheet on a table saw and rounded the edges with a jigsaw, a quick buff around the edges with a fine file and good to go...

Attachments

• AA953DBB-AD67-44E9-9C34-C51818A5FFFD.jpeg
    AA953DBB-AD67-44E9-9C34-C51818A5FFFD.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 418B2C8C-33FC-4293-B1C7-6B4B3960AA0E.jpeg
    418B2C8C-33FC-4293-B1C7-6B4B3960AA0E.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi Guys, another option is aluminum checker plate. I replaced my vinyl wrapped plywood side panels which were starting to look like crap on an older Kingfisher with the checker plate. It’s easy to cut with either a table saw or jigsaw and makes for a clean finished look. It’s fairly reasonable price wise also. I cut strips from a 24 x 24 sheet on a table saw and rounded the edges with a jigsaw, a quick buff around the edges with a fine file and good to go...
I think the OP wants to replace the full sides as well not just the top of the gunnels, unless I’m mistake. I’m not sure how a full side would look in checker plate.

I think the OP wants to replace the full sides as well not just the top of the gunnels, unless I’m mistake. I’m not sure how a full side would look in checker plate.
I've seen a full side of checker-plate. And wow, would the glare ever fry anyone in the wrong spot!
And my boat is already 70s, so arborite would match perfectly! :p

Where would you find the Aluminum Composite and what are the other materials in it? Interesting stuff.

I did mine with exterior ply, 3 coats of marine epoxy, primer and paint. Should last a very long time...thoroughly epoxied plywood is extremely tough. You have to make a point of saturating the edges really aggressively, but other than that it's not too difficult. My preferred way to do it is to get the plywood good and hot in direct summer sun, lay the first coat on, and then bring it inside to cool down. The shrinking gases in the plywood suck the epoxy in. Two more coats and you're done, or else throw a layer of 4 or 6 oz glass weave on it and it's pretty much permanent.

For my rebuild I used Dragon ply available at Windsor Plywood it’s got a hard white finish that nothing sticks to it just seal the raw edge with epoxy. I did do a 2 month soak test on couple of scraps and no sign of de laminating or glue failure.

For my rebuild I used Dragon ply available at Windsor Plywood it’s got a hard white finish that nothing sticks to it just seal the raw edge with epoxy. I did do a 2 month soak test on couple of scraps and no sign of de laminating or glue failure.
Windor's site isn't super excellent - does it come in other colours?

Blowing the dust off the thread as it's spring time and the projects are underway!

I'm having a hard time tracking the "right material" as each has it's pros/cons. I love the idea of Starboard, but I can't find a sheet large enough without it costing about 1/2 of what the boat's worth (I need a full 4x8 to make it one piece). The Dragon White at Windsor is nice, but I want grey to match the floor and interior - which they don't carry.

Right now the options are
- Marine ply with Liquid Rubber paint to waterproof
- Starboard if I can find sheets large enough. I don't need 1/2" thick either (which is what I can find), 3/8 or 1/4 would do just fine.
- Has anyone used PVC sheet? This looks promising as it's plastic(?) and paintable. Worry a bit about the impact resistance from a foot or errant cannonball... https://www.lowes.ca/product/pvc-tr...-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-pvc-sheet-board-2878-677203

Blowing the dust off the thread as it's spring time and the projects are underway!

I'm having a hard time tracking the "right material" as each has it's pros/cons. I love the idea of Starboard, but I can't find a sheet large enough without it costing about 1/2 of what the boat's worth (I need a full 4x8 to make it one piece). The Dragon White at Windsor is nice, but I want grey to match the floor and interior - which they don't carry.

Right now the options are
- Marine ply with Liquid Rubber paint to waterproof
- Starboard if I can find sheets large enough. I don't need 1/2" thick either (which is what I can find), 3/8 or 1/4 would do just fine.
- Has anyone used PVC sheet? This looks promising as it's plastic(?) and paintable. Worry a bit about the impact resistance from a foot or errant cannonball... https://www.lowes.ca/product/pvc-tr...-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-pvc-sheet-board-2878-677203
I covered my old plywood sides with Arberite the stuff you cover counter tops with. Been 7 years and still looks good. Lots of colors to choose form.

Back