Replacing boat cushion over engine doghouse?

Fishboy89

After many years of sun, fish slime, mislaid hooks, prawn and crab traps and rain, the cushion over my engine needs replacing. I am wondering if any other members here have had similar work done (I am in the Lower Mainland). I have contacted a few places and received quotes over $700:( which seems like a lot for a foam and fabric rectangle. I would like to keep similar colours as they match the seats, but could go with just the dark green if that is much cheaper (not sure what fabric that is, but it seems to have worn better than the grey vinyl).

Any advice about places to contact in the Lower Mainland? Or if you did something yourself I would be interested in any advice.

Thanks!

cushion1.jpeg

cushion2.jpeg

Just a thought. What about replacing the whole top with a piece of starboard plastic. It would then be quite functional for cutting bait or whatever else you might think of. If you wanted you could also cut a couple of holes and mount drink holders in them. Also very easy to clean.

Thanks for the suggestion Baddog. I have seen that done and it certainly seems very functional and useful. One issue though is that I do not have the kicker wired to the main steering (or remote steering) so I tend to lean against the cushion when using it (you can see one side is more worn then the other, that is the kicker side). But maybe I could do what you suggest and then just attach a simple cushion (attached with velcro or something) to the utility top when I am using the kicker......hmmm.:cool:

You don't need a cushion. The starboard idea is excellent, or plastic hmw type. Gardener kneeling pad for $3.

Just a thought. What about replacing the whole top with a piece of starboard plastic. It would then be quite functional for cutting bait or whatever else you might think of. If you wanted you could also cut a couple of holes and mount drink holders in them. Also very easy to clean.

100% agree, I see more people cutting their bait on those cushions then ever sitting on them.

One issue though is that I do not have the kicker wired to the main steering (or remote steering) so I tend to lean against the cushion when using it (you can see one side is more worn then the other, that is the kicker side)

Ah you are actually use it,

I’m had one made for my doghouse
It was square with the front corners knocked off. Was quoted 200$..... was asked for 300 when I picked it up..... long story later I paid 200$
I had rose Upholstry in thunderbird marina do the work. Took waaay to long, months longer than I was told but the final work was good

I believe A1Radiators in Campbell River will do them. I have used them for heat exchangers and aftercoolers at work and they are great to deal with.

I contacted Alumaweld and they are going to make me a new cushion off the original specs of the boat. The fabric should match the seats exactly. Price seems fair. If this works it will be good customer service from south of the line. Thanks for all the input.

Back