Repairing Scotty Dowrigger Release clips.

Morty

I had a bad tangle when stacking and the downrigger releases got so tangled and tight that their 120lb mono line became like a permanent spring and IMHO useless as a release. I have the 2 large stainless 'hairpins' and the black/yellow end-clips and want to replace the connecting leader. I don't want to buy 50 yards of 120lb mono-line. I do have 50lb mono, and also lots of like-new stainless cannonball line.

Anyone use stainless wire for these rigs before?
Would 50lb mono be strong enough?

I use 300 lb. Triple Fish mono and double crimps,no tangle and cheap.I bought a new roll at a garage sale for $5.Anybody in Victoria can PM me for some if you pickup.

300 pound mono or .095 weed wacker line. Crimped.

0SaPDnr.jpg

The home made swivel keeps tangles away.

GI5wDrT.jpg

Made from big three way swivels. An unmodified swivel just causes more tangles, the through wire is 1/16 stainless welding rod.

tlSyYU8.jpg

Thanks guys. Really appreciated!!
There's sure an innovative bunch of people on this thread.

I have been making my own forever, i make them 7 ft long, use 200lbs mono,and crimps, at seven feet once i pull it back from the fully extended DR i can clip the line in easier, always fond the 60” to short

I use black seine twine. I think a roll has 1600’. Its cheap and pretty much a lifetime supply. It’s nice and compact and I keep it on board as it’s very handy for all manner of things: making downrigger release lanyards, repairing landing nets, repairing prawn trap mesh, etc.

I use black seine twine. I think a roll has 1600’. Its cheap and pretty much a lifetime supply. It’s nice and compact and I keep it on board as it’s very handy for all manner of things: making downrigger release lanyards, repairing landing nets, repairing prawn trap mesh, etc.
Get that at PNT?

Back