Relocating to the coast, thoughts/advice?

NDT

We have been going to the island every year for a few weeks every summer, but never been to the north coast. We have decided to move to the coast since we enjoy the outdoor recreation so much. Kinda planning 12-18 months to find a suitable location and stable employment. I'm a heavy duty desiel mechanic and my wife stays home with the kids(3) until next fall.

Never considered moving to the north coast until a few days ago, always figured on Campbell River area. My wife was asking about kitimat as housing is more affordable. I starting looking at employment options up there. Looked at terrace, prince Rupert and kitimat.

It seems there is a lot of outdoors activities up there year around.

Just wondering the pros/cons to the north coast vs the island(Nanaimo & north).

I figure the fishing will be good up there. Can anyone comment on hunting opportunities?

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated,

Mat

I think the fishing and housing costs would be better on the North coast.
The weather however is much better on the Island ,
(unless you are really into winter sports)

South coast is about the weather with more days of reasonably calm ocean water compared to the North Coast as well as the North Island.

Prince Rupert has the fewest hours of sunshine in Western Canada and Terrace and Kitimat have real winter

I think the fishing and housing costs would be better on the North coast.
The weather however is much better on the Island ,
(unless you are really into winter sports)

Should have mentioned that I'm a diehard mountain sledder as well.

South coast is about the weather with more days of reasonably calm ocean water compared to the North Coast as well as the North Island.

Prince Rupert has the fewest hours of sunshine in Western Canada and Terrace and Kitimat have real winter

Thanks fishtofino, I looked up the climate information online. I'm ok with real winter. But cloud cover 80% of the year... Wonder if a guy could snowmobile above the cloud line to get some vitamin d, that's what we do in creston when we haven't seen the sun in a while, something to think about tho

For me it is not the winter sports it would be the rain. some places are west coast rain forests and have three times or more rain than say Victoria. Further, the cost of travel (access to airports with low cost flights etc) general cost of living, other than housing, access to specialized medical care and advanced education for children is all higher cost and more challenging. Simply put, housing is cheaper in the places where a lot less people want to live.

Last edited:
Yep wet summers would suck!!!

if i had a choice,... inside passage, comox, qualicum, nice weather and a short rip to the reel coast.

My brother lives in Prince Rupert. Though he does love the fishing up there (it's much better than the Straight) and the short drive to the ski mountain in the winter, it does get an incredible amount of rain. They had 8 days of sun this summer... so unless you don't mind months and months of rain and short days, I wouldn't recommend it. Plus work up there is hit and miss. LNG is looking bad right now.

Last edited:
My brother lives in Prince Rupert. Though he does love the fishing up there (it's much better than the Straight) and the short drive to the ski mountain in the winter, it does get an incredible amount of rain. They had 8 days of sun this summer... so unless you don't mind months and months of rain and short days, I wouldn't recommend it. Plus work up there is hit and miss. LNG is looking bad right now.

I've been reading up on the LNG, with the pipeline not happening, I wonder if the area with slow down over the coming year.

Spent lots of time between Nanaimo and Campbell River, I really like the area. I read that the Myra Falls mine is set to reopen soon. With the dam project and the mine, could be some good employment opportunities coming up as well. Didn't think the sledding would be any good, but I see I was wrong.

I am going to head up to terrace/Prince George this winter to go sledding and see the area.

Thanks for the comments, keep'em coming!

Personally I would be looking at Campbell River, further up island if you find suitable employment, Port hardy looks ideal to me and my love of rugged fishing areas

Reactions: NDT
Sledding is epic out Terrace way. The hunting is also very good,depending on areas. Yes lots of snow and rain in the summer, but also lots of places to fish. All depends on what you are looking for. Real estate is reasonable in the area and you will have more disposable income to enjoy your pastimes. (Sledding and fishing) Finding a job should be the most important priority. Then work around that. Should be lots of work in the Kitimat Terrace area though, even without the pipeline coming through. Thats a good thing though.

Oly

Reactions: NDT
Spent lots of time between Nanaimo and Campbell River, I really like the area. I read that the Myra Falls mine is set to reopen soon. With the dam project and the mine, could be some good employment opportunities coming up as well. Didn't think the sledding would be any good, but I see I was wrong.

I am going to head up to terrace/Prince George this winter to go sledding and see the area.

Thanks for the comments, keep'em coming!

Myra Falls set to open soon; they will be recalling former employees that were laid off first but many of these ones have quit altogether to find work elsewhere. So yes a big opportunity there as well.

Back