Regulation Clarification

Baxter

I know people are going to yell at me for even asking this, but going to anyways.

I have tried finding clarification of this in the regs, but if its there I can't find it.

With the daily limits, they are area specific. But what if you fish multiple areas on a single day.

I am certain you can NOT do this, but it kinda reads like you can. So say I catch a Ling in area 14-13. I have now limited out for that area. But what if I then cross over to 15-2. Can I then catch a second one, as the limit for that area is also 1? I would have one fish from each area.

One reason this seems like it should be okay is due to different limits in different areas. Most will say that the above example is NOT okay. But what about this scenerio:

I catch a Ling in Area 14-13 in the morning. Then I pull the boat out and head over to Sooke, say Area 20-4, where the limit is 3, and proceed to catch even 1 more. I have my limit for Area 14, but technically could still catch at least 1 more and be under my sooke limit.

Can't seem to find clear rules for fishing multiple areas in a single day. I know many people will have opinions on this, but does anyone know where to find an official link that covers fishing in multiple areas in a single day? I can't be the only person to ever have this question and I am sure there is an official rule to this.

Last edited:
I have also emailed DFO for clarification on rules when fishing multiple areas in a single day. Will post their response (assuming I get one) when they reply.

I have heard when you are checked on the water that they may have a look at your Chartplotter slug trail to confirm where you have been which could identify that you were not where you said you were when you caught said fish.

Record your fish for the area your allowed one
Catch your other 2 in area your allowed 3
Have everything documented cause there gonna have a lot of questions when checked if you fish area your allowed one after the area your allowed 3

I believe it's your "Daily Limit". Not your limit for combined areas limit. I may be wrong but would be surprised if you could have your limit from a combination of areas limit.

Make sure you fish the lower daily limit area first lol, daily limit would apply for the area with the highest limit, as Bryce says above 3 total limit, cannot take 1 from first spot and another 3 from second spot

You are supposed to land your fish on shore before proceeding to another zone, as per a Fisheries officer a few years ago as we had areas we can keep un clipped Cohos but can't keep Chinooks there and then where we could keep Chinooks we could only keep clipped cohos. We were required to land our un clipped fish onshore before fishing in the other area

the daily limit for ALL inside waters is 1. Not 1 per area. Yes in theory, you could drag your boat over to the west side and get 2 more for a total of 3.... but seriously, who does that.

CRGREG
I think it’s more or less a discussion for areas like spoke where couple miles apart it goes from 1-3

I think it’s more or less a discussion for areas like spoke where couple miles apart it goes from 1-3
Exactly, I used to fish the Sooke area. Area 20-5 is considered inside water and you are allowed one ling. Area 20-4 is considered outside and you are allowed 3 now. They are right next to each so you better have good chart records to show the CO if stopped on the water.

Back