Rec Halibut leased in BC reaches a whopping 220 lbs

T

tofinofish

FYI

From ; Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia

Halibut Update

With the summer fishing season well underway, we thought it would be timely to provide a brief update on the government's pilot project to allow recreational anglers to lease halibut quota from commercial quota holders on an annual basis. As we told you when this pilot project was announced shortly before the federal election, we believe that the program is fraught with problems and is little more than an attempt by the federal government to paper over the problems it created when it established the Pacific halibut allocation scheme in 2003.
At a recent meeting of the Halibut Working Group, DFO staff said that to date, the department has received 60 expressions of interest in the new experimental license. 37 of those who expressed interest submitted a formal application, and only ten of those pursued the application to the point of receiving an actual license. We believe that the number is low because the more people learned about the challenges and complications inherent in participating in the program; the more they decided that it was not worth the effort. More importantly, when these people realized they would be required to pay more than $5 per pound to a gifted quota holder, they were reminded of unfairness inherent in this unjust policy.

Three of the ten pilot project license holders, (yes only three) have secured quota....for a total of 220 pounds between them. In other words, those three will effectively have to "sort" the halibut they catch so that they don't exceed their leased quota limits simply by catching a larger halibut.

To recap, the pilot project has put enough halibut in the hands of private leaseholders to catch one large fish. Furthermore it reinforces that DFO needs to find a resolution for the flawed halibut allocation issue in manner that is fair to all Canadians.

It remains to be seen whether there will be greater interest in the program in the months ahead or whether DFO will assess this pilot program as a success or failure. We will continue to watch the situation and focus our energies on ensuring that government lives up to its commitment to "finding a solution to BC's halibut allocation issue in advance of the 2012 season that strikes a fair balance between all sectors. To this end we have written to our new minister, the Hon. Keith Ashfield and are looking forward to his reply.

Wonder if the guys that purchased the permits and quota are slipper skippers in disguise trying to make the program look like a sucsess? So that's roughly $1100 for that quota plus having to go out and catch it and if they don't their out the cash, still doesn't make sense to me.

I think that the 220 pounds of quota leased at this point of the season would need to be a lot more to be considered remotely successful for Dinos or Slipper Skippers..Zero would be better but IMO 220 pounds spells total failure and non-support by the Rec Fishing industry..

Wonder if the guys that purchased the permits and quota are slipper skippers in disguise trying to make the program look like a sucsess? So that's roughly $1100 for that quota plus having to go out and catch it and if they don't their out the cash, still doesn't make sense to me.

Most likely is someone (Slipper's possibly) that is trying to make the program look like it is working or look like it will work. Of course they will try, as they have a vested interest in the program working. Plus if they use some of the proceeds from selling their quota that they usually sell to the commercial working guys, so that they can advertise and promote their nifty little pilot project so that they can start up a bidding war on the quota price between the Commercial guys and the Sporties. Total BS!!!! Find me a Sport fisherman that supports and is willing to buy into this total crap program, just one!

Most likely is someone (Slipper's possibly) that is trying to make the program look like it is working or look like it will work. Of course they will try, as they have a vested interest in the program working. Plus if they use some of the proceeds from selling their quota that they usually sell to the commercial working guys, so that they can advertise and promote their nifty little pilot project so that they can start up a bidding war on the quota price between the Commercial guys and the Sporties. Total BS!!!! Find me a Sport fisherman that supports and is willing to buy into this total crap program, just one!

Looks like a ....

Smells like a .....

Looks like a ....

Smells like a .....

Do you Mean,,,?

Looks like a ,,, duck

Walks like a ,,, duck

Quacks like a ,,, duck

Must be a stupid SHMUCK!

That is truely what one would have to be to buy into this godforsaken POS idea!

This whole freaking experimental quota leasing program was some hairbrains idea to solve the inadequacies of the FREE access to a Canadian resource. One that should be equally accessible by all Canadians, not 88% of it owned by private individuals, private or public companies, or especially by someone that doesn't even live in Canada!!! This Experimental lease program and the whole Halibut Lease System in its entirety is absolute Bull Sheet! Wipe out the whole thing, and start over. Like I've said before,,, time to shake the freakin Etch-A-Sketch! Shake it well so that the whole thing is completely erased.

220 pounds speaks volumes in my mind. The thing is proving itself to be a total joke. What we need to find out is how much the DFO expensed on setting it up, what the advertising costs were, and then calculate that cost per pound of fish purchased. I'd love to see a news headline that reads "DFO and Slipper Skippers spend $20,000 a Pound for Halibut"

These 3 stooges had to give their names to register for the stupid program. Can't we ask to see the records (can't see why they would be a govt. secret - according to DFO this is a 'reasonable and legitimate' program). If they refuse then we can go the freedom of information route on them. It would be very interesting to see who these 3 are.

Does anyone have any experience in getting info like this from DFO? How do you do it?

Unfortunately there are things that you will not get from Freedom of information requests.
Info we give out under the act from the Fire Dept is highly screened with no personal info on it.A Black felt pen does wonders.
It is not anyone's rights under the act to receive name, address and phone number.That is blacked out along with any language that would divulge personal info.

Can someone figure out what the advertising, administration, and other costs has been and then get the cost of what those 3 fishermans 220 lbs. of halibut really cost per pound????? One would think that the result would be interesting indeed.

I think none of this means anything until the rec halibut season is closed. That's when the rubber hits the road, proof in the pudding, etc.

Why would anyone sign up before this program has any benefit for them?

And why would anyone who signed up for this program buy quota in advance, when they have until January of the following year to settle up? They'd be crazy or stupid to pay in advance for something they might not need. So the 220 lbs is meaningless at this point.

Once DFO closes the season, and there's a bunch of hali charter guys twiddling their thumbs, that's when we'll see something worth talking about. Because if only one guide in town is standing at the dock cleaning halibut in August, while everyone else's guests are standing there watching and asking why they aren't eating fish n chips tonight, then you'll see some real pressure. That's when we'll see the true test ... solidarity around a political cause? Or business and personal interest first?

"Interesting" times indeed.

That may be true but any guide who does that im sure will be 8 balled by the local guides good luck getting referalls or overflow if he did do that.

All you have to do is tell the clients sorry halibut is closed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mow as a guide you should make up make up a form letter that they can put there own notes on it stating why,and how this has come to this etc etc get them to personalize it then send it off to the minister if we flood them with more soon or later they will get the poing its about keeping up the pressure good on you guys for not buying into the farce system ....

Good luck Wolf

I can't imagine a guide or lodge telling a client/guest that, oh bye the way and on top of your regular bill, that 100lb halibut you caught will now cost you an extra $500. Might be some angry fisherfolk! What a stupid idea!

I can't imagine a guide or lodge telling a client/guest that, oh bye the way and on top of your regular bill, that 100lb halibut you caught will now cost you an extra $500. Might be some angry fisherfolk! What a stupid idea!

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure. For Wolf's comments, I know more than a few guides who don't give a &%# what anyone thinks and are quite happy to tell you about it ... for these guys, the "we're all in this together" argument won't have much impact. As for structuring the business side, when you have people paying $5k for a multi day charter / accommodations package, I think you could probably structure it to either add in a chunk for quota fee, or eat a chunk of it to sell the package, or a combination.

As for figuring out who these people are ... will be completely obvious for all to see once the fishery is closed!

I hadn't thought of that Holmes, but you're right, this is not based on a boat, as Com'l licenses are, but based on a personal application. That puts a whole new wrinkle into this. I'd thought of it as a charter operator buying quota, which their guests dip into. But reading their website again, that's not it at all. This applies to the guest anglers, not the guide. As in "you want to come fishing with me in August, super, just make sure you have your fishing license and if you want to fish halibut, make sure you have your experimental license too".

All risk and all $ is transferred to the client in this scenario. And as the guide, even if you disagree with this program, are you going to turn down clients who want to halibut fish and are taking care of the quota issues all on their own? Frankly, I doubt it.

So, seeing a guide with halibut in August does not automatically mean they bought in, but possibly their clients have. Hmm. You might have solidarity in guides in not pursuing this program, but I think they'd be hard pressed to turn down clients with cash and licenses in hand.

And you're right too that this may have impact even before the fishery is closed ... if you were paying $1000 for a hali charter now, and had applied for the experimental license, you can keep fishing for a big one after you've got your chickens, count the chickens against the quota, the big ones on your rec licenses.

Man o man, going to be a strange season ahead.

me thinks that the amount of quota being leased will go up. it is still cheap fish for the rich oil boys out of alberta.

me thinks that the amount of quota being leased will go up. it is still cheap fish for the rich oil boys out of alberta.

You won't see me crossing that line!

I for one will not be advising my guest to go and buy quota so that they can come fish with me in August if it closes and I am hoping that all other operators with a good head on their shoulders will do the same. We can not leave it up to the guest to buy it nor should we allow them to fish from out boats with it. We have all fought to hard against this program to just say, " my guest showed up with quota". We provide a platform for people to fish from, this does not mean that the guest can do whatever they want because the chartered the boat and anyone that uses this as an excuse is on the wrong side of this fight.

This program sucks and we have to continue to do whatever we can to make sure it fails and allowing people to fish off our boats with quota is wrong.

So, if you have a halibut quota are you restricted to sport fishing methods? Anyone know?

Imagine the look on the guides face if a guest shows up with long line gear!

Back