Reasons to respond to a Pan-Pan radio call

There werre at least 2 other incidents going on which is why the guy at Kirby needed someone else to help because the CG was unavailable.

wow,, good thing they are their to help and also we look out for one another.... running out of fuel=weak

Well for you guys that dont want to respond because the boater ran out of gas-- give your head a shake. It might be you next time-- crimped fuel line, debris plugging a hose, water in the fuel-- it makes no difference HELP HIM!!!!!!!!!!! How would you feel as a new boater with kids on board , the engine has quit and you dont know what to do????? A boat with no power is a disaster waiting to happen...... no matter what the cause. So you give up an hour or so of fishing time--- cry me a river.. waaaaa!

Get real guys....

i was out on the water i believe on this day... i do not think it was near kirby,, rather south bank? i saw the coast guard run out and meet the two boats in front of cree? this would be why no-one answered from kirby,, i could hear the radio callout also, so i do not think everyone nor anyone ignored the call at kirby. most would not have heard it. the pan pan came across all stations. including 6 where most of the chatter is this time of year...pretty sure geisha/nice boat/ or maybe it was fifth ailment was involved in the response / tow.. which ever,, good on them for helping out a fellow fisher. even if it was for a few bucks. lol..
yes trophywife, the callout was off of Kirby Pt. As we followed "Gone Again" back towards Bamfield, the Coast Guard did meet us. So I guess there were other calls that day. Certainly this is bringing up some interesting discussion. I know I need to learn how to get my radio to scan channels & recognize the signals on my radio (hence I will be enrolling in a VHF radio course in August when I am back from holidays).

Running out of gas....certainly doesn't seem like a distress, but depending on location & weather conditions & time of day....could be distress very soon. I would hope I don't miscalculate how much gas I need, but if someone needed to help me out, I better be paying for the gas, a big "tip" for the tow & the help! (I guess I like that old saying, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you.")

Running out of gas can indeed be serious. When I was very young my mum, uncle and a friend were out cruising on their dad's boat. It had two tanks. They were aware of the need to switch over. Unfortunately, the procedure took a little longer than anticipated. The boat was blown ashore and beaten against the rock bluff. They were all able to make it off the boat, with difficulty, and survived. The boat sank.

I would be irritated too if I lost a day's recreation to another boater's mistake. But I would still respond. Sometimes it's necessary to do the right thing, even if it's a pain in the butt.

Now, this being my first thread that I am writing, means I am a bit perturbed and/or confused with the reasons and ways someone should or could respond to a pan-pan vhf call.

Here's the situation today on Channel 16 out in Barkley Sound.
1. A boat calls "pan-pan and says their boat name, location (1/2 a mile off of Kirby Pt) and they are taking on water and their main motor won't start." (brief description from what I can remember). They call the Tofino Coast Guard and are in communication with them.
2. The conversation continues for the next few minutes as the 2 passengers try to get the water out, and are methodically asked questions (ie. location, lifejackets being worn, gps coordinates) by the Coast Guard.

Now, here's where I am a bit confused....(now yes, I will admit I haven't taken the vhf course, so I don't have a license & will be taking one shortly), so maybe this is all covered in the course....

My question is, at approx. 9am at Kirby there are about 20 boats fishing & as the Coast Guard starts asking if anyone can hear, we try to respond. No answer. One boat responds....from where - Swale Rock....now here's where I am confused & yes a bit upset,
a. Do the rest of the boats around Kirby not have their vhf radios on?
b. Do the rest of the boats around Kirby not have radios?
c. (as one boat said) Do the other boats, think "The person didn't sound like they needed help so we haven't responded." (Sorry, if you were listening, the Coast Guard asked who was close - about 20 boats were close & the boat at Swale Rock was about 15 minutes away).

Now, when we figured out which boat it was (as it's tough to tell which boat is taking on water when everyone is fishing), yes, they were happy to see us. Did the boat sink? No. By the time we got there, they had pumped the water out and were able to restart their big motor and were going to go to Bamfield to check out if they had a hole in the bottom.

Thanks for responding - I hope you're out there if I ever need assistance.
We also (Foxsea crew) responded to that (upgraded) Mayday relay from Tofino Coast Guard. We were actually shocked that only two boats responded when there were dozens out fishing in the area. We pulled our gear at Swale and were about 7 minutes away from Kirby when the Coast Guard thanks us and asks us to stand down. The good news is that the event had a happy ending. The poor part is that many other boaters were not up for the challenge. Come on you guys - you who listened and blew it off. Taking on water is not a joke!

BTW - we had our limit of springs when the call came through. Then turned to Effingham for coho - a good day.

You are not required to monitor channel 16 if you have a DSC radio. The alert from the Coast Guard will automatically switch your radio to 16. In order for this feature to work though your radio needs to be turned on! I unfortunately have to monitor channel 16 as part of my job for 18 hours a day and the Cr****p you hear is beyond belief. When I am on a day off fishing I choose a channel with low traffic and talk with friends and let the DSC system do the work.

beemer

Beemer's right - strictly speaking, having a DSC equipped VHF means you are not required to monitor 16. But if the radio is not on at all, you receive neither DSC or voice distress calls on 16.

I also believe that everyone should monitor 16 even if they have a DSC radio, simply because if you don't, you won't hear the non-DSC distress calls made on 16. I don't put as much time on the water as some of you, but I have yet to ever hear my DSC alarm go off because of a person making a distress call. Has anyone ever heard one around the south island? I actually heard my first DSC call this past weekend-by the coast guard advising of some non-distress navigational hazard.

Does anyone use DSC test function instead of a radio check? The coast guard is now set up "auto-acknowledge" these calls. I have tried it and it works well. Obviates the need for the verbal radio checks and let's you know that your DSC works.

Beemer's right - strictly speaking, having a DSC equipped VHF means you are not required to monitor 16. But if the radio is not on at all, you receive neither DSC or voice distress calls on 16.

... I have yet to ever hear my DSC alarm go off because of a person making a distress call. Has anyone ever heard one around the south island? I actually heard my first DSC call this past weekend-by the coast guard advising of some non-distress navigational hazard.

Yup - you'll hear it 2 or 3 times a day if you are out that long. At least in Barclay Sound area. We monitor 16 but do not have headphones so if we're running we hear the alarm and then idle down to see what's up.

No I haven't please explain how... I usually call vic ccg for radio check but not this way...

Apparently all DSC VHF radios manufactured after March 2011 have this capability, but I suspect that many manufactured before then can do it. Even my Standard Horizon DSC handheld can do a test call. For both my handheld and Standard Horizon fixed VHF the process is the same and very simple. It DOES NOT INVOLVE PRESSING THE RED BUTTON. For my radio, push the "call" button; scroll to "test" and hit enter. This will bring up the list of MMSI's you have in your directory. I then select Victoria CG and hit enter again. Radio will beep a few times and my display will show details that indicate the successful acknowledgment. Sounds difficult but once you've done it once or twice it is easier and quicker than a radio check. It reduces radio check chatter and confirms that your radio, especially the most important part of it (DSC) is working.

Yup - you'll hear it 2 or 3 times a day if you are out that long. At least in Barclay Sound area. We monitor 16 but do not have headphones so if we're running we hear the alarm and then idle down to see what's up.

Very different than here in Victoria. As I said, I have heard one, and it was not a distress call.

Hey everybody, Im originally from Saskatchewan and have come to the realization that i need a radio after reading this post as well as the one about the boat going down recently in the port hardy area. My question is I live in comox where would be the best place to get one, nothing fancy or expensive mostly fish at Kitty Coleman or around Tribune and always lots of boats around but every year we go to a trip to Telegraph so it should be on the boat.
So here is a shortened version of what i think is kinda funny. Me and Dad were up at telegraph 3 yrs ago went out in the fog no GPS (we now have one) and of course no radio. Got lost in the fog and we crossed all the way to the mainland by the time the fog lifted it was to rough to cross so we spent the night on the boat no cuddy. Next morning was Foggy again but we had to try to get back ran into a boat after about 5 mins and tried to wave him down, he saw us as he looked right at us but pinned it and took off. However we followed for about 5 mins which led us to about 10 boats. We then spent the night at Sullivan Bay once we ran into someone we had actually golfed with once. Once at Sullivan Bay he told us he had to go tell some people who we were as he was not suppossed to have guests staying as he was boring the cabin and someone else was in line for it that night, well it turns out the boat he had to go tell was the boat that sped away from us, they told him that they thought we were Pirates! Thats why they took off lmao. That would have been a handy time to have a radio.

Awesome ,

woulda made for some interesting conversation at the pit with the A-Hole for sure !!.. glad it all worked out ..
its been a while since ive been in the fog ,
always scary seein guys runnin offshore in small boats with no radar.. my fear is ta get hit by one , trust me , almost happened , SCARY !!! seen him comiming flukely , blasted em with my portable airhorn , pretty sure he had ta go change his shorts , makes ya wonder,,,

Vhf ? try Craigslist if your on a budget or West Marine has sales often ,

gd lk

later

fd

Hey everybody, Im originally from Saskatchewan and have come to the realization that i need a radio after reading this post as well as the one about the boat going down recently in the port hardy area. My question is I live in comox where would be the best place to get one, nothing fancy or expensive mostly fish at Kitty Coleman or around Tribune and always lots of boats around but every year we go to a trip to Telegraph so it should be on the boat.
So here is a shortened version of what i think is kinda funny. Me and Dad were up at telegraph 3 yrs ago went out in the fog no GPS (we now have one) and of course no radio. Got lost in the fog and we crossed all the way to the mainland by the time the fog lifted it was to rough to cross so we spent the night on the boat no cuddy. Next morning was Foggy again but we had to try to get back ran into a boat after about 5 mins and tried to wave him down, he saw us as he looked right at us but pinned it and took off. However we followed for about 5 mins which led us to about 10 boats. We then spent the night at Sullivan Bay once we ran into someone we had actually golfed with once. Once at Sullivan Bay he told us he had to go tell some people who we were as he was not suppossed to have guests staying as he was boring the cabin and someone else was in line for it that night, well it turns out the boat he had to go tell was the boat that sped away from us, they told him that they thought we were Pirates! Thats why they took off lmao. That would have been a handy time to have a radio.

No offense but that is crazy to be that unprepared. Not only are you putting yourself at risk at risk but the others that you could run into or the ones that almost had to rescue you.... Gps and radio are a minimum in these areas.

Like the idea of always monitoring (listening to) channel 16 or even setting you VHF radio to scan. CC will relay madday or pan pan messages when they have received all the information or facts necessary. Received a DSC message the other day, but hesitated to respond, because as soon as you respond all information being transmitted to CC is interrupted. Wait for direction from CC, but if you are in the area, you can always start making you way to the call and let CC know after all information has been transmitted that you are in the area and can respond.

the other item all small boaters need to have on board is a radar reflector. we are near invisable to radar as we have very little reflective surface on our small boats. without a reflector, the radar image looks much like a dot you would make with your ballpoint, fading in and out as you bob around. with a reflector, you are a sizable blob on the radar screen. and use your common sense, in the fog SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!

The ocean would be a much better place if we were all out there looking out for each other. Seems like most people couldn't be bothered to help someone out in a time of need out there, for fear of blowing an hour of fishing. That's pretty sad.

the other item all small boaters need to have on board is a radar reflector. we are near invisable to radar as we have very little reflective surface on our small boats. without a reflector, the radar image looks much like a dot you would make with your ballpoint, fading in and out as you bob around. with a reflector, you are a sizable blob on the radar screen. and use your common sense, in the fog SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!

X2 on the reflector.

Back