Re-Doing Floor

FisherTim

Hello,

Yesterday I found out that my 16' K&C Had waterlogged Foam... Sadly that boat was built in 1976, 4 years prior to the invention and use of Closed Cell foam.
So I have taken it upon myself to Re-do my floor. Ripping out all the old Foam and starting from scratch... Do any of you have some tips, or good places to by 2 part CC foam in the Victoria Area?

Would it be simpler to just leave it empty, and install a bilge in there?

Anything related would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

EDIT: How long would this take? I can deal with taking my boat out of commission for a week or so, but if it takes longer I might have to do it in the winter...

HEY FT,
You are opening a can of worms in most cases. Once the foam is removed you need to check for rotten stringers.
That foam is the itchiest sh#t known to man. Wear a suit and use a mask.
There is a lot of weight in that boat from wet foam.
If the stringers are not rotten, I would leave it empty. ( No Foam)
Even the new stuff holds water.
Check the hull for cracks, leaks.

It takes a bit of time, but really wet foam means other problems most likely.
Good luck.

I would use block foam. Cut to shape and not foamed in place. Easier to redo later, or if you need repairs.

I could not find any block foam as cheap as Pour in, I know it might be pain in the rear. But I think I will Simply use a high strength(4LB) Polyurethane Foam and leave the Stringers as they are. I might change My mind once I see what shape everything's in

I might also Re-Fiberglass 2-3 layers of Cloth on the bottom, just to block any micro-cracks that may have formed, as well as fiberglassing over it THOROUGHLY.

How do I get the deck flat? Should I use Plywood, and pour into it, leaving escape holes for overflow?

I'm only planning on keeping this boat for a couple of years...

You could do as I saw in the 1980's. We used to get power supplies in a crate with several sections of plastic wrap and the foam poured in. Molded to the power supply and was easy to remove. Put a sheet of poly plastic in the section and pour in the foam. Would also give an extra barrier.

Back