Re cork mooching rods

Wooly

Can anyone recommend someone to recork my mooching rods. I have 5 g-loomis rods I would like to get done this off-season. F8FE298E-6F93-4B1B-99CF-57534E4DB29D.jpeg
Thanks,

Kevin

Can anyone recommend someone to recork my mooching rods. I have 5 g-loomis rods I would like to get done this off-season. View attachment 59485
Thanks,

Kevin
Depending on where you are located. Here in Campbell River go to Tyee Marine and talk to Rob. He will do an incredible re-build job for you. And they are are Loomis rod dealer too.....Good luck with it...

Depending on where you are located. Here in Campbell River go to Tyee Marine and talk to Rob. He will do an incredible re-build job for you. And they are are Loomis rod dealer too.....Good luck with it...
Yeah I’m in Prince George and fully expect to ship them somewhere down to the island or Vancouver. I’ll give Tyee a call. Thank you

You do not always have to remove the guides, it is better to do it perhaps-but. Depending on the taper of the rod from where the corks begin to the butt end of the rod. You would remove all the old corks and if necessary any thread etc at the front of the handle (hook holder etc) Clean up the blank, without sanding the finish off. All of the corks would need to be reamed out to fit over the butt. Any gap between the blank and the cork would need building up to just a little bit less then the inside diameter of the cork. most often used is masking tape as a filler material. Use a new reel reat and a new ferule at the end of cork where the cork ends. It is easiest to glue the cork segments together, and contour them before epoxying them to the blank. Epoxy the foregrip, then the reel seat and then the butt section, cleaning up as you proceed.

The problem with removing all the guides is your odds of damaging the blank increase and could seriously damage your rods.
Your corks do not look all that bad, it should be possible to fill in any spots and then a quick sanding might bring them back to almost pristine.

have a look How To: Repair a Fly Rod Cork - Flylords Mag

fore grips look good.. if you want to clean the front ones up.. a little sand paper to take the first layer off... have you thought of just wraping the back end with winn tape?

fore grips look good.. if you want to clean the front ones up.. a little sand paper to take the first layer off... have you thought of just wraping the back end with winn tape?
Yeah just lookin into all the options now. Thanks derby

The shrink tube works well for the butt cork. I used it on a couple of rods and it worked great. Put a new butt cap on and then shrink tube it. Talk to Andy at Custom Rodbuilders Supplies in Victoria.

what is causing the failure ?? , are you stowing rods while you travel in rocket launchers ?? place some pipe foam to protect the cork so the rod doesn't bounce around to save you cork. get a bunch of cork dust and mix it with outdoor wood glue, fill in the voids and spin in a lathe. Turns out pretty good. Will see if I can find some pics of numerous repairs I have done for clients from rocket launcher damage

Try Winn Grips rod wrap. For the butt get some shrink wrap or there are scent containers that fit nicely over the butt section. See PNT

I’ve had Tyee Marine in Campbell River section and repair the cork on a mooching rod. I was very happy with the results and the repair has lasted several years.

Back