raw water wash down installation

johnfw

I want to put a raw water wash down kit into my Campion 622 and am looking for recommendation on make of pump i.e.. Jabsco, Seaflo etc etc etc. Some seem to offer 40 psi while others offer 60 or 70 psi; I lean towards the higher pressure but would like to hear of experiences and best place to buy the kit including pump, filter, hose and fittings etc.

I am thinking of putting a tee into the through hull fitting that feeds my live well so that I won't have to put another hole in the hull. Live well sees very little use anyways.
I assume that these raw water wash down pumps come on when the discharge nozzle is opened and shut off when the pressure builds up provided that it's power switch is on.
thanks, J

just make sure you have three shut offs. one for the thru hull of course, one for the live well, and one for the washdown, other wise you suck,air.

I have a Johnson pump 70 psi and 5.5 gpm. I ran a hose over the transom for the intake because I didn't want a thru hull. I am very satisfied with its performance.

I put a back flow preventer just above the water line so the line always has water in it and dosen't suck air. I have a line over the side of pod then the line go into the boat with the rest of cables didn't want a hole through the boat.

Back flow preventer

I put a back flow preventer just above the water line so the line always has water in it and dosen't suck air. I have a line over the side of pod then the line go into the boat with the rest of cables didn't want a hole through the boat.

I have the same setup as you,line beside pod,what type of back flow preventer did you use,as mine sucks air for a while before working properly?

I have the same setup as you,line beside pod,what type of back flow preventer did you use,as mine sucks air for a while before working properly?

I'll have to double check I think it's a white Jabsco. One thing I did learn when I plumbed the back flow preventer the first time it was only about inch above the waterline which was good. But the piece I had going down into the water only went down into the water about two inches and I sucked up a small piece of eel grass once and it didn't close all the way then. Since then I have lower the line about six inches under the water line and never had a problem since then and I leave my boat in the water for months at a time. Hope this helps Rayvon

Thanks for the info guys, good feedback. I assume that a "back flow preventer" is just a check valve in either plastic or brass. Thanks again. J

Back