Rapid corrosion on motor

I grabbed some of the Marine Tex Brutus had mentioned . Almost have it ready for paint . Hopefully it holds up
If you did your job, it will hold up,once it’s fully cured,note it’s a bit cold out for it to cure, hope you have it inside lol. Rough up the area your going to paint with 100grt sand paper then wipe it with acetone let it dry then paint it.

If you did your job, it will hold up,once it’s fully cured,note it’s a bit cold out for it to cure, hope you have it inside lol. Rough up the area your going to paint with 100grt sand paper then wipe it with acetone let it dry then paint it.
Yah I’m not master at finishing jobs that’s for sure but will be much better then from when I started . I’ve been doing the work in the garage and had a heater on to bring the temp up to the 70°F area it calls for .

Yah I’m not master at finishing jobs that’s for sure but will be much better then from when I started . I’ve been doing the work in the garage and had a heater on to bring the temp up to the 70°F area it calls for .
Good, the main thing with that stuff I find is making sure it cure up good before sanding, and of course making sure the surface is clean before applying, once it’s on good it’s a ***** to come off, used it on all king of small repairs, aluminum and fiberglass and never add any come off so far

I’m painting motor now .
Went thru more wiring yesterday as was nice day and My body is allowing it.
Anyhow found more multiple issues .
Progress pictures later

Last edited:
I’m painting motor now .
Went thru more wiring yesterday as was nice day and My body is allowing it.
Anyhow found more multiple issues . When you pay top dollar for a boat maybe you should do the stray current test .
Progress pictures later
Gremlins lol fun fun, made for a few sleepless nights over the years

Good on you for doing it yourself, the more knowledge you have about your boat the better, thumbs up
Thanks for all the advice . Too bad you don’t drink beer anymore . I’d buy you one as your in Langley too? Anyhow I’ll buy you a soda one day If our paths cross

Picked up some zincs for trim tabs what’s the best location to install them? There the sandwich type so will need to drill hole and mount

Attachments

• 4F2345F7-454D-49A8-86DC-438447EF8D6C.jpeg
    4F2345F7-454D-49A8-86DC-438447EF8D6C.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 22
4, makes it easy to get at them to change and to clean off the crusties that will be stuck onto the stainless when you remove the old ones. Muriatic Acid is your friend to remove that crust and no scaring of the stainless. 4 will also allow more water flow over the zincs blasting off more of the loose stuff.

4, makes it easy to get at them to change and to clean off the crusties that will be stuck onto the stainless when you remove the old ones. Muriatic Acid is your friend to remove that crust and no scaring of the stainless. 4 will also allow more water flow over the zincs blasting off more of the loose stuff.
I went for a visit to Jon place to see his boat, trim tabs are really close to the gear case, he is getting weirds stray current at the trim tabs, could be his issue why his gear housing is corroding, what do you think???

I went for a visit to Jon place to see his boat, trim tabs are really close to the gear case, he is getting weirds stray current at the trim tabs, could be his issue why his gear housing is corroding, what do you think???
Thanks again. Definitely gave some good advice! Hopefully will get to the bottom of this soon. One thing at a time but I’m getting there

Thanks again. Definitely gave some good advice! Hopefully will get to the bottom of this soon. One thing at a time but I’m getting there
No problem, it’s all about boats and fishing. It’s a bit of a pain in the a.. to trouble shoot gremlins, but when you get her done then you know your boat from one end to the other, peace of mind

Are the tabs bonded? The zincs will help but they should be bonded too.

Are the tabs bonded? The zincs will help but they should be bonded too.
Not sure if they are, Jon is in the process of figuring it out I guess lol. I explained to him the bonding process, now it’s up to him to follow the wires, metre was showing open loop on some instruments so not all ground are bonded

I drilled a small hole in each tab on the inside of the ram and closer to the transom...so just in that back corner on each tab. I use a stainless flat head bolt and a stainless washer to hold a 10 gauge green bonding wire with a circle connector attached to the tab.....the other end of that wire jumps over to the part of the tab attached to the transom where I use one of the tab mounting screws (in the transom) to fasten it. So that wire is just long enough to allow full movement of the tab and still have just a bit of slack. That bonds the two hinged parts of the tabs together. I also connect another wire into transom wire connector (so the short wire and a long one are twisted into one connector) ....that long wire I feed into the boat by the easiest and tidiest way possible and connect that to the bonded system. Now both halves of the tabs are bonded. All my bonded metal on the boat go to a bolt welded to the inside transom side of my aluminum pod...the pod also has a good sized bar of zinc welded to the underside of it. Again where it is in the most flow of water when on plane so it will help sluff off loose scale and help keep the zinc active.

I drilled a small hole in each tab on the inside of the ram and closer to the transom...so just in that back corner on each tab. I use a stainless flat head bolt and a stainless washer to hold a 10 gauge green bonding wire with a circle connector attached to the tab.....the other end of that wire jumps over to the part of the tab attached to the transom where I use one of the tab mounting screws (in the transom) to fasten it. So that wire is just long enough to allow full movement of the tab and still have just a bit of slack. That bonds the two hinged parts of the tabs together. I also connect another wire into transom wire connector (so the short wire and a long one are twisted into one connector) ....that long wire I feed into the boat by the easiest and tidiest way possible and connect that to the bonded system. Now both halves of the tabs are bonded. All my bonded metal on the boat go to a bolt welded to the inside transom side of my aluminum pod...the pod also has a good sized bar of zinc welded to the underside of it. Again where it is in the most flow of water when on plane so it will help sluff off loose scale and help keep the zinc active.
Few questions for you. Where would you recommend your grounding /bonding system be tied to? I have a fibreglass boat and what Brutus and myself believe is it’s tied to main outboard as I don’t have any true through hull fittings .
Next question what gauge wire did you run for bonding on trim tabs? If you get a chance maybe snap a pic for me .

Back