random VHF radio question

There are 3 modes for a vhf. USA, Canadian and International. Put your vhf on the USA mode and you should pick up 88a.

Most modern VHF radios have a US, Canadian and International mode. Selecting the correct mode sets up the channel groupings for that area. Channel 88A is the American channel and channel 88 is the Canadian channel. However, both channels are simplex with the same frequency (157.425 Mz). What this means is that a radio set to channel 88A can communicate with a radio set to channel 88. If your radio displays channel 88A it is not set up for the Canadian group of frequencies.

Hey Nick,
pics kind of blurry but I think that's the same one that came with my Grady and if so it must be in the channel programming
cause mine is all the same band meaning when I'm on 88 and I change to the next channel it goes to 88a without switching from USA to CAN and INT it seems to pick them all up at the same time
Tim

Nicki.....it's called an owners manual which you can read the hard copy or download a soft copy. If you need help with a search engine to find a opy on the INterNET as it's way different than 'World of WarCraft' on Xbox ....I can give you a tutorial. Look me up kid. :cool:

Nicki.....it's called an owners manual which you can read the hard copy or download a soft copy. If you need help with a search engine to find a opy on the INterNET as it's way different than 'World of WarCraft' on Xbox ....I can give you a tutorial. Look me up kid. :cool:

now that's funny, good one Pips

busy chasing skirts, don't have time to rock back into my recliner and delve into a 'VHF owner's manual' while drawing a hot bath hah.. thanks for the backup Tim!

WOW.....

Your Welcome Demco99, Guess well your chasing skirts rather then learning the safety equipment on your boat we will all be here in our recliners trying to keep your guests safer.

Hey John, Just goes to show anyone can call them self a guide. It's been seen many times before on here and other sites. Maybe it's something that shouldn't of been said online and could of been sent in a private message though, but if people's safety is in question we should step up and speak quickly.

Safety First especially if it someone else's life you playing with.

I appreciate your post FA, that link got me exactly the info I need. I agree safety first, this was more of a fine tuning question than a safety issue though in my opinion. Maybe a stupid question but it only required a simple answer, which you were helpful enough to provide. Unfortunately I also provoked a flurry of chirps for posting such a silly question so my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your post FA, that link got me exactly the info I need. I agree safety first, this was more of a fine tuning question than a safety issue though in my opinion. Maybe a stupid question but it only required a simple answer, which you were helpful enough to provide. Unfortunately I also provoked a flurry of chirps for posting such a silly question so my bad.

It wasn't a silly question. I was out of line:p. Sorry Nick. I edited my post.

Nick I always got your back!! Us Vanc guys gotta stick together
You fishing this weekend or chasing skirts;) headed to thrasher tomorrow see you out there if your not busy
Tim

Nick I always got your back!! Us Vanc guys gotta stick together
You fishing this weekend or chasing skirts;) headed to thrasher tomorrow see you out there if your not busy
Tim

Thanks pal. Out of town for a few weeks so won't be fishing again until early June. Fished the QA solo yesterday on the flood for a few hours without any action. Good luck on the 'nooks at thrasher, I was really hoping to get out there before I left.. Bonk some lings as well!

Back