VHF Radio protocol and licencing facts

Sir Reel

There was a discussion on another thread about VHF channels and proper use. I just happened to get this emailed to me from SAIL Magazine today.
I know some of it is US related but it covers the basics very well. Plus there is a one Page PDF document that would make a good reference to have on any boat.

Last day I was out on my boat I must have heard a dozen intercepts from Coast Guard about proper VHF radio use. The classic misuse being radio check on Channel 16.
The other is talking over a Mayday call.

Here is the article:

http://www.sailmagazine.com/cruisin...utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=enewsletter

here is the one page PDF:

http://static-sailmagazine.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/VHFguide2111111111111111.pdf

And here is the course everyone needs to take. Lots of dates all around BC. Its one evening 3 hours long and its the law!

http://www.boatingcourses.ca/course-descriptions/maritime-radio-0

Good link there Sir Reel.The PDF printout is particularly useful.I'll get that laminated for the boat for a reminder in case
my memory slips.Thanks for that.

Would really be nice to have a 1 session course in the Victoria area, usually it is 3 weeks, 1 hour each.

I did the one day course in Nanaimo.. Very informative and highly recommended... Safety First!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just signed up for late September in nanoose. I got lucky rcmp were at brechin Friday night. I got checked for everything else but never asked to see radio op ticket.

This info was on the above site.

Authorities check for licenses on the water, Be Prepared, fines are about $250.!

haven’t been asked in 30+years I’ve been on the water, also had one at the house with a 30' antenna so we could tell mom what was going on.

Got mine years ago, got tired of getting a yearly licence fee from Industry Canada. So it's expired but onboard.

Is there still an annual fee? I'm a Ham radio operator and Industry Canada stopped billing yearly for those licenses years ago.

There is no annual fee for recreational boater. I think the fee is for a station licence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This info was on the above site.

Authorities check for licenses on the water, Be Prepared, fines are about $250.!

Anybody in the know if this is just for commercial operators or if it does in fact include ALL recreational boaters as well?

Regardless of any regulation this is an important course to take. As others have explained this isn't a transport canada reg but rather an industry canada thing.

If you ever do need help or need to provide help, being confident on the radio and knowing how to get your message across is invaluable. You can really notice this when listening to a distress call and the night and day difference.

Anybody in the know if this is just for commercial operators or if it does in fact include ALL recreational boaters as well?

There's a few difference levels of certification. For recreational use you need the ROC (restricted operators cert), entry level commercial use the ROC-MC. There's very little difference between the two courses.

Back