Radar Considerations

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
I am looking at new electronics for my boat basically I fish fog a lot in summer months. I am getting tired of the surprises I find out there....

The new boat I have can easily have radar dome mounted on it...So I was looking at GPS combo units and starting to think does it makes sense to take the plunge and get one. I usually run a separate sound/GPS unit...But I thought maybe it makes sense pay a few more bucks get one unit that does all and is fully radar capable.

I am looking at Lowrance HD 10 units right now... I want to know about 3G and 4G radars with people who have them installed as well as GPS overlay. Sort of pros/cons... Is the new 4G worth it?

Not looking at Raymarine/Furuno they are good but the cost is very high....

My application is not far from offshore....

BTW I see that the Lawrence HD touchscreen versions can be controlled by a tablet.. That is very cool. Anyone have one of them?

Don't buy NORTH STAR!!!! but I have one for sale.lol

Two thumbs up for GPS/Radar overlay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a few and really like the new Lowrance units.
I have an older analogue open array, its great but huge and very heavy.
The new broadband domes are really good in close and require less tuning but they all take practice.
Overlay is pretty good but my preference is for separate displays, I find there is too much info on the one screen and found it easy to miss smaller marks amongst the chart detail when using it in a confined heavy traffic areas, where you need them the most.
Im no expert but I think the greatest difference between 3/4G is for distance, but.....?
I would really recommend you buy the largest screen you can afford, I find it near impossible to focus on a small screen in a moving boat.
The new touch units also offer you the advantage of using the newer dual frequency CHIRP sounder module (BSM 2) if you want to use the latest sounder technology also.

ICOM,, cheap and works great,, i have been super happy with mine.. finds the puker boats in the morning when i have to cross their paths..

I have a BR-24 (broad band radar) hooked to a Lowrance HDS-8. It's a pretty awesome radar unit. Overlay requires that you have a heading sensor installed so if you do go this way, make sure you buy that and make sure it's compatible with the HDS unit. I was hoping the flux gate compass that runs my autopilot would work for this purpose but when I networked it with the HDS, I still can't get overlay. So I still need to get a different heading sensor to get the overlay. What is particularly great about the broadband is the super separation you can get when you're looking close in. That's particularly useful out at Swiftsure when you're fishing with 30-50 other boats in close proximity.

I also have the Lowrance HDS-10 and BR-24. I am super pleased with it, agree with all the above. I don't have the heading sensor but plan on getting one soon. I too like the big srceen so when you do run the Radar and GPS at the same time you have something you can see. That being said, if the unit goes you have no electronics. With stand alone units you only lose the one unit, but also takes up dash space.

I like simple but independent systems . Overlay is a great tool , but I like to range in and our separately on my gps and radar, If you have the space I would recommend independent screens for your radar and gps unit.

beemer

For those looking to add overlay to their lowrance system instead of shelling out big $$ for a flux gate compass lowrance has a new Point One GPS receiver puck out that also give heading direction.

This is a good point on independent systems.... I am starting to think maybe it makes more sense to go with say two HD 7's or HD5's..One craps out your never stranded... That might be the best way and will allow me to split between radar /sonar and GPS without getting small screen.... I am tempted at least one of them touchscreen as I can run my tablet from the back...It broadcasts it wireless to your tablet...Pretty cool... I think you can't control it though but you can see the screen..

Anyone have the touchscreen version?

Back