Radar arch material ?

Labman2

So for Sculpin and any other welding guru's.
Want to fab my arch and rocket launchers, would you use 6063T5 1 1/2" sched 40 or 6063T5 2" sched 40?
What's standard the inch and a half or the two inch?

Regards;
Mark

My 2 cents...1 1/2 sch 40 pipe is a little tight on the id for easy use as rocket launchers - I would mix in some 2" ss tubing for holding the rods if you decide on the 1 1/2

Sorry for my previous post. It depends on the size of the boat really for looks. 1.5 inch is usually good enough and it is 1.9 inch outside diameter. The grade you mentioned is pretty standard for aluminum pipe and is very salt water worthy. I use 1.5 inch pipe (1.9" od) for rocket launchers all the time. No problem fitting rod's in them. You can fit salmon rods in 1.25 inch pipe no problem. I would go with the 1.5 pipe for everything depending on the size of the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you Gentlemen.
I will use the 1 1/2 for the main frames and 1 1/4 for the actual launchers then.

The boat is the 24' Zeta that I'm restoring.
Never saw your previous post though Sculpin. LOL

Another Zeta on the forum? Way cool Labman!

I own a 19' with a 60-hr (new) 4.3 MPI Merc/Alpha set up. She'll bust 50. Mines a work-in-progress too.

If you need any info on the history of these boats or anything, I've been in touch with Mike Hutcheson and his son Charlie (who now runs the company in Vancouver) and learned a bunch of stuff from these guys. I can put you in touch with them. Good people.

You have as good a hull there as any glass boat ever built. They only built just over 400 of the 24-footers and even less of the 19's at just over 100 boats.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics.

Thanks L.H.
I tried to talk to Charlie a couple of times, he wasn't much help.
He even told me Mike wouldn't be interested in talking about the Zeta?????
Mine is in the Boats forum, a few pics as work progress's.

What has everyone used at the top lip of the rocket launchers to protect the reels from metal on metal contact?

Back