Radar: 3G, 4G, Halo 20...help me decide

Suramaximos

Hello all,

I'm in the market for my first Radar.
The intent is to have it for safety reasons while fishing Vancouver Island 2- 3 weeks per year in the summer.

The radar will be mounted on a 22 foot boat and paired with a HDS 7 Gen 3 head unit.

I currently use the HDS for sonar and run a Tablet for GPS duties.

My head unit is relatively small so I don't believe I need or want the ability to overlay the radar/GPS. Trying to keep this functional (safety first) and relatively inexpensive.

Prices are approx $1700, $2300, and $2000 respectively.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

i would put in another head unit maybe even a 9 or 12" and chart overlay your radar...
if you have a hard top mount them up top so they catch more shade and keep the dash clear ...

Hello all,

I'm in the market for my first Radar.
The intent is to have it for safety reasons while fishing Vancouver Island 2- 3 weeks per year in the summer.

The radar will be mounted on a 22 foot boat and paired with a HDS 7 Gen 3 head unit.

I currently use the HDS for sonar and run a Tablet for GPS duties.

My head unit is relatively small so I don't believe I need or want the ability to overlay the radar/GPS. Trying to keep this functional (safety first) and relatively inexpensive.

Prices are approx $1700, $2300, and $2000 respectively.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

I find the doppler feature of the new radars to be very useful in thick fog conditions. The instant determination of if the target is a threat (green target moving away from vessel, red target moving in direction of your vessel) makes monitoring quicker and easier. If it's not too much more, get the doppler featured radar.

I find the doppler feature of the new radars to be very useful in thick fog conditions. The instant determination of if the target is a threat (green target moving away from vessel, red target moving in direction of your vessel) makes monitoring quicker and easier. If it's not too much more, get the doppler featured radar.
That does sound like a great safety feature.
The Halo has something called MARPA so you can assign targets to monitor. Doesn't list Doppler specifically.

You will need another head unit if you want sonar at the same time. The overlay is nice, but you don't need it if you are on a budget. If you do have the overlay you have both your radar and GPS all in one screen which is a bonus.

You will need another head unit if you want sonar at the same time. The overlay is nice, but you don't need it if you are on a budget. If you do have the overlay you have both your radar and GPS all in one screen which is a bonus.
From my lowrance manual it says I can display depth with the radar. Are you saying it wont work?

From my lowrance manual it says I can display depth with the radar. Are you saying it wont work?
You might be able to, but it will only be digital readout on the side of the screen or you will have to split the screen and have radar on one side and your sonar on the other. On the HDS 7 that's a very small screen. When running you will find that 7" very small when running in the fog.

You might be able to, but it will only be digital readout on the side of the screen or you will have to split the screen and have radar on one side and your sonar on the other. On the HDS 7 that's a very small screen. When running you will find that 7" very small when running in the fog.

Thanks. I have been a bit concerned about the size. As you can tell I'm on a tight upgrade budget this year so the head unit is what it is for now.

I believe I can pair the display to another android tablet, which I already have. Have you had any success with this?

No I run a Lowrance HDS 10 with First gen radar and a heading sensor for overlay and a 7" for the back deck for sonar. I run the 10" for GPS and Radar up front and the 7" out back for fishfinder. Also have a digital display for depth and a cheap GPS on the flybridge. Also have a Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/GPS (GX2200). The AIS overlays on the GPS which is nice. All are networked together and everything is redundant.

I have a HDS 10 and Gen 1 Radar and a Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/GPS (GX2200)VHF. The VHF overlays the AIS on the GPS. Also have a HDS 9 on the back deck and a small digital depth gauge and cheap GPS and Vhf on the Flybridge. All are networked together.
Have you thought about getting a Gen 1-Gen 2. If you are only using it a few times a year could save you some money. They are all going to pick up targets the new ones just have some added features

For a few hundred more then what your looking to spend there are combo deals out there. That’s something to consider. If you were already spending $2300 on a radar for $400 ish more you can get a MFD and transducer package.

I have the pre-3G a Simrad that was on clearance at Harbour chandler and it is fine on my Hds 7 touch gen 2 and now 3 with the networked screens. 3G should be fine unless you are a Tofino or other west coast warrior needing radar often and running at higher speeds. I do recommend the radar overlay, if you are going to ever add autopilot get it at the same time as it includes an autopilot compatible point-1 antenna needed for the overlay. If you are networking multiple screens, with radar etc you may need a network box. Starts to turn more complicated then my company IT!

another vote for overlay and you can find point one heading sensor fairly cheap used. just have to keep an eye out. Best thing for me especially being my first radar is the overlay as it is much easier to view it over your chart. just my 2 cents

Pretty sure I’m going full Hummingbird in my new ride complete with Chirp radar.

Back