Quietest Kicker in the 9.9/15 High Thrust Category

I would look at the new EFI engines with tilt for sure. Currently I have a 9.9 HT yamaha 2016 and the only problem I have is when I start it I literally can't hear it fire up at all. Granted this is fired up from the helmt but honestly I find it almost too quiet, if that is even possible....cheers.

Last edited:
I have the Yamaha T8 and its pretty loud. Not my choice for being quiet and I think the carb sucks myself. If you dont mine cleaning your carb all the time they are great.

I like the quietness of trolling on the main (Yamaha F250), which is why I'm curious about how quiet various kickers are. Sometimes when I pass by other boats in the Cap gong show their kickers are rattling away...it seems obnoxious!

I like the quietness of trolling on the main (Yamaha F250), which is why I'm curious about how quiet various kickers are. Sometimes when I pass by other boats in the Cap gong show their kickers are rattling away...it seems obnoxious!
I have to laugh as I don't know how many times I have switched over to my Yamaha 9.9 HT, trolled for a few hours and realized the main Yamy 250 was still running in neutral, quiet as can be. I am blaming it on age I guess.

Yes trolling on the main will be quieter than any kicker if you have a newer 4 stroke main. My 300 zuke is so quiet you dont even know its running if trolling on it. I would seriously look at a 20hp zuk kicker, it is the same weight as the 9.9 and twice the power. Also the zukes are all efi, I would never touch another carbed kicker after going to a fuel injected one. Yes it does seem to rattle and vibrate a bit more but the positives outway any negatives. If your in the central island area your welcome to come check mine out. Also I have a trollmaster 3 plus hooked up to it, they make a servo kit for all the small zukis.

In my view trolling with the main would work but it cost me 3000 for a new kicker instead of 13000 for new main another thumbs up for the yam 9.9'ht bought one last year extremely happy

I'm surprised Honda doesn't get more street cred from you guys...I have a 15 Hp Hi-Thrust----it hasn't missed a beat since the day I hung it on the transom and it runs as quiet or more so then any of the other options. The 9.9 Honda I had on my last boat was just as reliable and quiet---they just run and run and run....provided you do a bit of maintenance in between all that running....

I refer to draining the carb after EVERY outing (if she's going to sit for extended periods of time). Honda carbs have very fine (narrow) jets that can get fussy from fuel varnish. But Honda makes this an easy (and pollution-free) task------once you open the carb bowl stock-**** with the blade of a screw driver, the fuel conveniently drains out of the cowling through a feeder hose that exits right next to the pee-hole---you simply catch the gas in a clean container and dump it back into your tank (as opposed to Yamaha and Suzuki where the fuel drains down into the leg of the outboard and down into the water....at least the older ones did...)

Last but not least, the BF15 has a 12 Amp alternator-- when I run multiple HP Scotty' DR's + multiple transducers all day long, having that powerful charging capability gives peace of mind. And the BF15 offers an X-long shaft---the EFI Suzuki 15 Hp does not (or didn't when I was looking to repower a few years ago)

Last edited:
Honda has a pretty good reputation, just harder to find, I believe they are heavier also.

My 2015 9.9 HT YAMIs only disappointment is its LOUD , had a 1996 suzuki that was way quieter but still wouldn't change it .

Yes trolling on the main will be quieter than any kicker if you have a newer 4 stroke main.

I respectfully disagree. My new tohatsu 4 stroke EFI 9.9 kicker can barely be heard. As someone else stated earlier, I have a hard time knowing when its on while starting it first thing.

No complaints with our 2017 Yamaha 9.9. Very quiet and starts well every time. Most of the time it has plenty of power but a 20 hp motor would be nice when your trolling into a heavy wind/current that we often have around Nanaimo.

I’ve had a Yamaha 8hp HT and 2 Yamaha 9.9hp HT’s since 2004. Must have well over 1000 hours between the 3 of them. Never missed a beat, start right up and I thought they were very quiet. Always ran off my main tank and through a large fuel filter. Winterized every year. Never had any carb issues. Would not hesitate to buy another.

Back