Question on Vancouver Island Fishing

Peter

We're planning a trip to Vancouver Island this September, and I received a hall pass in our itinerary for a day of fishing. I’ve only fished out of Ucluelet (a few years ago and that was word-class). The catch this time is that I'll be solo on the fishing, and from talking with the guide I went with last time it sounds like most the Ucluelet fleet is designed for a small group on the boat while booking a trip for single becomes a pricey proposition. He recommended trying the Tofino guides as there might be a little more flexibility in getting paired up with another smaller group.

But before hounding either location too much, I took a step back and wondered if there might be some more general insight or recommendations I could get on this, and that's where the Forum comes in. So, needing to stay within the parameters of a mid-September outing around the southern third of the island, I’m otherwise open to trying wherever good action might be but not as interested in the high occupancy charters. And while we’ll be staying in Victoria and Ucluelet/Tofino, coordinating another stop (like Port Renfrew/Sooke for example) could work too.

Any suggestions or resources to contact would be really appreciated - thanks!

I've done shares with people I've met here a number of times but it's very hit 'n miss since we are all on our own trajectory and September is some months away-but keep me in the loop

Also if you end up solo consider the puker boats http://www.canadianprincess.com/

Hey Peter, keep in mind, the first wknd in Sept there is the Pt. Alberni Salmon Fest derby and the following wknd is the Ukee Ladder Derby Fish-off. You may be hard pressed to find a guide in Barkley Sound/Ucluelet area during the first 2 wks of Sept. Also, if it's a slow year for the guides, some will have already packed up their boats and have gone home for the season.

Back