Question for those in the know??

Jencourt

This one I have wondered for some time now. Maybe someone like Derby, Cuba or Searun or Nog can answer this one.

3 Parts really.

1: What year did we start to see the beginning of the cutbacks in hatchery funding ?

2: Wat year did the sport sector, DFO, and commercial sector agree that after FN the sport sector would get priority access to Chinook and Coho while the commercial sector would get sockeye and chum. ?

3: What year did the FEDS really getting aggressive about buying licenses and developing the FN commercial fishery.? I think this one was early to mid 90's but not sure?

Ray-- I,m old and my hair has fallen out,, I cant remember! ( but I will ask around)

Cheers
Bryan

(this is when we need Bill Otway!)

Hey Brian that is funny.

I think funding cuts depends largely on the program...but generally the funding started backing off a decade ago and really got ramped up with the wild salmon policy circa 2005.

Priority access - that came about as a result of recommendations from Dr. Peter Pearse in the Pearse Report and ultimately those were adopted Minister Art May and former Justice Sam Toy, DFO adopted a salmon allocation policy in 1998 that:

"after conservation and First Nations food, social, and ceremonial needs were addressed, provides
the recreational sector “priority access” to chinook and coho during periods of low abundance. As
well, the policy provides for “predictable and stable fishing opportunities” for sockeye, pink and
chum. Subsequently, the salmon fishery, particularly for chinook and coho, began to be more
actively managed"

Sorry, can't recall when #3 happened.

Cheers

Hey, an unrelated bit of fishing trivia...first year a salt water fishing license was required/sold = 1981

Back