QCI -Iron Dump

hey not sure how to say this.....putting chum eggs in a coho river(or any river) is not good....chum spawn the latest of all salmon, and wipe out the nests of all the other salmon....here on the island, rivers r short, springs and coho have nowhere to go...since we have intoduced chum to the cowichan, goldstream, sooke rivers, they have taken over and r the dominant fish return. adding chum to a river, could have catastophic results...

What makes you state that Chum are an introduced species to these rivers?

Chum fry don't stay the rivers after hatching. Coho fry do and often benefit by backwaters created by beaver dams etc.

What makes you state that Chum are an introduced species to these rivers?

Chum fry don't stay the rivers after hatching. Coho fry do and often benefit by backwaters created by beaver dams etc.

chum r a native salmon to the rivers i mentioned, but have been introduced on a large scale, chum r the last salmon to come into the rivers, and wipe out the nests of other salmon, "what makes me state that chum r introduced" check out the hatchery s for goldstream, cowichan and sooke.....chum fry may not stay in the river long but when they enter as adults they take away spawning grounds in our short rivers on VI....the sannich inlet was the spot to fish in the 80s, for springs, but once we wiped them out, they stocked chum....do some research or ask some old timers about "the old days".....

Chum in SVCI and some other Southern rivers may be the last in (excepting coho) - but they spawn in the lower reaches only. In Northern BC watersheds - chum come in the 1st week of August and sometimes up to the 1st week of October in some rivers with abundant chum stocks. Chum are likely to overlap spawning sites with coho mostly (only in the lower reaches), but as far as my experience goes - coho come in from early September and up to late October/early December.

chum r a native salmon to the rivers i mentioned, but have been introduced on a large scale, chum r the last salmon to come into the rivers, and wipe out the nests of other salmon, "what makes me state that chum r introduced" check out the hatchery s for goldstream, cowichan and sooke.....chum fry may not stay in the river long but when they enter as adults they take away spawning grounds in our short rivers on VI....the sannich inlet was the spot to fish in the 80s, for springs, but once we wiped them out, they stocked chum....do some research or ask some old timers about "the old days".....

Hatchery augmentation is not the same as introducing. I used to catch Springs and Coho's in Saanich inlet. Todd inlet used to produce a few big ones every year. Bamberton cement plant was as busy as Beechy head in it's heyday (psst! it's coming back) If you want to talk to the real old timers, the rivers you mentioned at one time had 10+ times the salmon they do now, including chums and the Cowichan had runs that are now extinct. Coho's are supposed to spend a year in their natal rivers. Coho's that hatch in the lower river are more likely to be unsuccessful and flush out with the chum fry.

Salmonboy-- I was going to stay out of this thread as I thought that you were just young and should be thanked for your enthusiasm, even if your info was wrong! But you keep trying to push a theory that is just plain wrong-- do some more homework before being so positive in your comments....

Last edited by a moderator:
Salmonboy-- I was going to stay out of this thread as I thought that you were just young and should be thanked for your enthusiasm, even if your info was wrong! But you keep trying to push a theory that is just plain wrong-- do some more homework before being so positive in your comments....

cuba why should we focus our hatcherys on putting more chum in rivers...nobody targets them, cant give them away...as for pushing a theory, and doing my homework, im just going with facts, sooke river the exception...hatch coho......cowichan and goldstream.....chum....ill see if i can find the #s for u..thanxs for the young and enthusiasm comment, made my day!

Its now just about YOU! No! Its about the ecosystem boost.. You REALLY need to do some more homework.. And you think no one targets them ??---- Again-- do some homework.

Its now just about YOU! No! Its about the ecosystem boost.. You REALLY need to do some more homework.. And you think no one targets them ??---- Again-- do some homework.

I guess its about me then....maybe there r more chum fisherman than i know of.....dont really know anyone thats goes out and targets them....pound for pound a great fighting fish, but not a salmon that is fished for in victoria....dont hear of many guys going out trolling for chum...........regardzzzzz

Someone say chum fishing.... yup... lot's of chum bums here... LOL
Do a search on this forum with "Brown's Bay" and you could spend hours reading.

Back on track... I have read some more info on this iron issue.
Looks like if we had a world effort to seed all oceans at best it would remove 10% of the co2.
Clearly that would have little effect so until more is known we can't count on that.

Someone say chum fishing.... yup... lot's of chum bums here... LOL
Do a search on this forum with "Brown's Bay" and you could spend hours reading.

Back on track... I have read some more info on this iron issue.
Looks like if we had a world effort to seed all oceans at best it would remove 10% of the co2.
Clearly that would have little effect so until more is known we can't count on that.

ya theres chum fisherman, but im talkin about down here in victoria, very few guys go out and target them(river fisherman)..i was wrong saying introduced as they ve always been here, but enhancing our local watersheds with chum is a mistake in my opinion for the purpose of putting iron in the water...we were out prawning on dec. 30 came back and there was a huge school of chum that still had not gone up gold stream....its a short river and coho have the same spawning grounds..they get wiped out between fuel spill and late chum...cuba seems to think im nieve about fishing, but where i live chum enhancement is not the answer to putting iron in the water.......

Oh Good Lord!!!! first you diss Little River for its chum program-- now you say you are only talking about Victoria??? And who the hell said anything about putting chums into streams to increase iron--- you do seem to have a comprehension problem, or are deliberately trying to twist yourself out of a BS level that you have created yourself.

As I previously said-- Do some research.. here is a start for you
http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/lwm/aem/do...se_of_salmon_to_the_addition_of_carcasses.pdf

And while you are at it-- maybe explain why if the good folks at Goldstream have no use for chums they are spawning them http://www3.telus.net/gvsea/photos/2013/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap-- I didnt notice that..... going to have to talk to the Goldstream guys and gals.....

So I spotted an other Iron experiment....
Mother Nature kind....
assets-climatecentral-org-images-uploads-news-3_4_14_Brian_VolcanicEruptionSpace-720x480.jpg

Astronauts aboard the International Space Station captured this image of Alaska's Pavlof Volcano erupting on May 18, 2013. The image is part of NASA's Tournament Earth, which showcases 32 images and data visualizations the agency published in 2013.

Don't know anything about this but if it was like the last one this is good news for salmon.

Also heard that things are shaping up for a El Niño next fall. That's bad... good news is that predictions this early are often incorrect....

There will be an interesting presentation about the ocean fertilization project by the Haida Salmon Restoration Corp. on Thu, March 20 at the West Shore Ballroom of the Four Point Sheraton Victoria Gateway Hotel, 829 McCallum Road in Langford behind Costco, 7 PM. I encourage you to check it out and learn for yourself what this is all about. Cheers.

Back in the news....
The comments section is an interesting read also.

[h=1]A Fresh Look at Iron, Plankton, Carbon, Salmon and Ocean Engineering[/h]<address class="byline author vcard" itemprop="author creator" itemtype="http://schema.org/Person" style="font-style: normal; font-size: 0.6875rem; line-height: 0.75rem; font-weight: 700; font-family: nyt-cheltenham-sh, georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif; display: inline-block; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin: 0px;">By ANDREW C. REVKIN</address> <time class="dateline" datetime="2014-07-18T11:55:25+00:00" title="July 18, 2014 7:55 am" style="display: inline-block; padding: 0px 8px 0px 0px; font-family: nyt-franklin, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.6875rem; line-height: 0.75rem; color: rgb(128, 128, 128); margin-left: 12px; text-transform: uppercase;">JULY 18, 2014 7:55 AM</time>July 22, 2014 3:23 pm<button class="button comments-button theme-kicker" data-skip-to-para-id="" style="margin: -4px 0px 0px; font-size: 0.6875rem; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 0; cursor: pointer; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; transition: color 0.3s; -webkit-transition: color 0.3s; border: 0px; color: rgb(98, 136, 165); padding: 0px 0px 0px 8px; float: none; height: 12px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"> 65 Comments</button>
Two years ago this month, an edge-pushing environmental entrepreneur and a company formed by a Native Canadian village set off a wave of international protest by dispersing a pink slurry of 100 tons of iron-rich dust over one of the 60-mile-wide ocean eddies that routinely drift across the salmon feeding grounds of the Gulf of Alaska.
Their goal, in the face of steep declines in Pacific salmon catches, was to trigger a plankton population explosion with the infusion of iron, a vital nutrient that’s lacking in those waters. Volcanic eruptions had been shown to do the same thing. Why not humans?
The plankton bloom, in theory, would nourish millions of juvenile fish that circulate in the Gulf before returning to the coast to spawn........
follow link here
http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2...gy&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body&_r=0

I think we can all agree that the way this was done was questionable at best.
Putting that aside... what was done may have been part of the reason why we are seeing an uptick in stocks.
I would like to see more research into this to see if this is a valid project.
Not sure about you guy's but I like getting limits when I go out fishing...:rolleyes:
At this point I think we need solutions because depending on our leaders is not working out.
Our leaders seem to have their heads in the sand and "business as usual" rules the day.

Back