Putting in a offer on boat

RedFish

Hi all,

I believe I have found the boat that will work for me and my family. I have never owned a boat before so the purchasing thing is a little intimidating.

From the asking price what do people normally put in for their offer? 20% less than the asking price? I know that people will want a lot more of the particulars for this question.

For my case the boat's asking price is $20K.
Campion 552 2004
includes ez load trailer
fish finder
depth sounder
under 60hrs on engine
Condition very good

Also do you normally just haggle it out verbally or put your offers in writing?

I look forward to the opinions.

Ed

Depends how nervy you are. Private or off a lot? When I bought my truck dealer wanted $13,400. I knew what I wanted and that truck was it. I knew what I could spend and showed up at the lot Friday afternoon an hour before closing with cash in hand. Left with the new to me truck for $8300.00.

First thing I would do is find out what similar boats sold for , condition of the hull inside and out, condition of canvas, age of electronics, what else is included? kicker, downriggers, fishing gear? Safety equipment, bumpers rope, anchor etc. all that stuff can certainly add up in a real hurry and should reflect your offer price. just a few things to consider, I also would go and look at it with someone that has knowledge of boats because you can be blinded by wanting it and a second non bias opinion can help. good luck with the purchase

Crazy Canuck has given you some EXCELLENT advice and that is "take someone that has knowledge of boats" Basically that is what a marine surveyor will do for you. He will give you an unbiased opinion of the condition of the boat and the value. If you are new to boating and boats the best thing you can do is slow down and get a second opinion.

First thing I would do is check to see if the hour meter is actually working. When I sold my Campion 542, the hour meter read 47 hours. It had stopped working several years previous. Fortunately for the buyer, I had the engine ECU readout that showed the actual just over 400 hours.
The 552 should have the electronics that can be hooked up to a computer to get a true engine hours reading.
BTW - I was asking $19,500 for my '03 Campion and took an offer of $18,000 2 years ago. I thought that was a "fair" price for both of us. The sale was in October so it wasn't a great time to sell.

Hi all,

I believe I have found the boat that will work for me and my family. I have never owned a boat before so the purchasing thing is a little intimidating.

From the asking price what do people normally put in for their offer? 20% less than the asking price? I know that people will want a lot more of the particulars for this question.

For my case the boat's asking price is $20K.
Campion 552 2004
includes ez load trailer
fish finder
depth sounder
under 60hrs on engine
Condition very good

Also do you normally just haggle it out verbally or put your offers in writing?

I look forward to the opinions.

Ed
20K is way to much for that boat. Under 60hrs? Is it a new or rebuilt motor? It's a 2004 which I belive its the old style haul. If you have 20k to blow on a boat there are many options to chose from well still staying inside that budget. IMO it's worth 12-15k depending on overall condition. Would need more info and pictures.

Some very good advice. Getting engine hours off engines computer is an excellent idea. Prior to purchase my plan is to have the boat surveyed. I definitely don't want to over pay. Attached are some pictures. Hopefully they work.

$_20 (1).JPG

$_20.jpg

That does look nice. One other thing you might want to consider is that if you're going to do a lot of fishing, that doghouse really intrudes into the fishing platform. The OB model has a lot more room.

Don't let the doghouse blah bah don't get an inboard thing scare you.... Many guys on here are pro outboard. Campions have one of more littler doghouses..I would be cautious... For that money I would want to know that that is new motor/rebuild, is it freshwater cooling and that manifolds and risers have been done recently..You are on the high end with that price..., and have pretty good room especially this model....I also just noticed there is no kicker in that price.

What is the leg and motor in it....??

20K can go along way with an outboard or inboard so be sure you get it looked at before buying...Myself 13k-16k good condition with inboard and that's good condition..Outboard model with newer Yamaha or whatever O/B about 20K. Give you an example my buddy has that boat a few years newer and its a Campion Victoria 21ft with low hour inboard and it was 13k...

Keep on mind these boats were not 40K new wen they came out... I believe they were 20-30 range with options..

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really clean and well looked after. Where's the trolling motor and downriggers though?

17-18k......... 20k still seems high

The motor is a Volvo Penta 4.3 GXI and leg is also a Volvo but I did know the model number. No downriggers or kicker.

Those are great little boats. Well made and fish really good. Everyone I have talked to that owned one really likes it.
Good in rough water too. This is version 2 of that series. Has the larger cuddy opening. First version had a very small opening. Version 3 is the completly new hull design started about 2005 or 2006.
That canopy looks 3rd party as I have never seen Campion use that green colour.
Engine hours do sound suspect on an 11 year old boat so you want to have that checked.
If you want to fish your going to have to add a kicker and down riggers. Another $2to $4k depending on used or new.
However for a day fisher or family boat...... Great choice.
Good luck!

A good base to start fishing. Get engine hours confirmed by third party assessor. As stated,it looks like it will need to be rigged for fishing,kicker and downriggers.. Sounder ,VHF radio,,,etc?! These are pretty good boats to fish most conditions in. You will see many on the water having fun with the rest of us landlubbers...
But 20k? Too rich for my blood,more like 14-15 tops and that's if the drivetrain needs nothing..
If it has sat for long periods unused,that's worse than more hours on it.Have someone who works on these things daily do the checkup on it. Shinie paint and gleaming bright work can hide many costly flaws..
Hope it turns out to be a good boat,you could have lots of enjoyment with one of these models.

Is that a COMPOSITE stern drive or aluminum? If it's a COMPOSITE LEG run away as fast as you can! I speak from experience$$$

Last edited by a moderator:
$12500 all in subject to satisfactory engine and hull scope. Is that engine rebuilt? Are the manifolds and risers originals or replaced? service records?

OMC leg which is worthless and good luck finding parts when it blows.

How about the brakes in that trailer? do they work? Drums?

The rig is almost 12 years old. Unless that package is MINT, $14000 tops.

$12500 all in subject to satisfactory engine and hull scope. Is that engine rebuilt? Are the manifolds and risers originals or replaced? service records?

OMC leg which is worthless and good luck finding parts when it blows.

How about the brakes in that trailer? do they work? Drums?

The rig is almost 12 years old. Unless that package is MINT, $14000 tops.

The 542 is a very popular boat, and there's not many for sale. Doing the proper due diligence as noted throughout this thread is critical. If everything checks out, though, I would not expect you'll get the boat for $14,000 tops. I would guesstimate the boat will sell in the $16 - 17000 range.

Marine surveys are handy if you're light on experience, and they're good for insurance purposes if you choose. Sounds like you have good attention to detail anyway, so if you have a good look around and feel confident in the seller that he's an open book as far as information, take a run at it! $1000 either way won't make a difference a month from now when you hook your first fish in the sunshine.
Let's not forget that there's only a select few guys out there actually making money with their boats to feed their families. The rest of us are kinda just storing money in these things!
Best of luck.

Back