Puntledge

You did well Lazoman. It's good to see some coho in the river. Unfortunately I haven't been blessed this year with any. With so few around, I'm really glad DFO made it total non-retention this year.

More fish are in the river now, and many more are forecast !!

Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net

Subject: FN0818-Salmon: Gillnet - Area D - Area 14 - Mid Vancouver Island Chum - Opening

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Gill nets open 48 hours from 09:00 Wednesday October 29/08 to 09:00 Friday
October 31/08 in Subareas 14-9, 14-10, and that portion of Subarea 14-11
outside the Comox Bar, northeasterly of a line from Longbeak Point on Denman
Island, to a fishing boundary sign on Willemar Bluffs.

The current escapement into the Puntledge River has doubled from last week and
is now estimated to be between 12,000 and 15,000 chum with a target of 60,000.

I fished today, not many anglers around, probably because of the rain. Fishing was definately slower than last week though. I still caught a couple of nice fish on green wool, no coho.

Lets hope this bit of rain will bring some in. Hydro has not forecast it's usual Thursday/Friday increase in discharge, so we're outta luck there.

Just wondering if anyone has been out this week. I get out about once or twice a season and was looking at this weekend.

also, does anyone know the website with the latest regs? i doubt i'll keep anything but if i find something nice and bright,,, maybe.

thanks

Captain Dudds

I fished it last Sat the water was very high and the fishing wasn't as good as the previous weekend but we had no trouble limiting on bright chromers you just have to find them. We had to move a couple times to find a good supply.

Haze, where are you? Did you try the river with your fly rod? I'm interested how you got on? Incidentally, I saw a seal in the river today, up by the Puntledge Park.

fish nutz excuse my ignorance but are you talkin springs or chum. either way that doens't sound too bad. we're comin from nanaimo so its a bit of a drive but i think we'll give it a shot maybe sunday.

just to refresh, some spots to try are the condensory bridge, puntledge park, near the hatchery, and the rod and gun pool - anyone care to share where abouts that last one is? We'll likely stop by Pete's tackle as they were quite helpful last year too.

Captain Dudds

quote:Originally posted by Captain Dudds

fish nutz excuse my ignorance but are you talkin springs or chum. either way that doens't sound too bad. we're comin from nanaimo so its a bit of a drive but i think we'll give it a shot maybe sunday.

just to refresh, some spots to try are the condensory bridge, puntledge park, near the hatchery, and the rod and gun pool - anyone care to share where abouts that last one is? We'll likely stop by Pete's tackle as they were quite helpful last year too.

Captain Dudds

Just so you know, they have moved down to Cliff Ave. A couple blocks south of the old store. Look for a large Orange & Black "Tyee Marine" sign on your right heading north.

All chum in the past few weeks i've only got 1 spring and 1 coho. All of my fishing has been in the span of 500m above and below the bridge. Had most of my luck on bright pink, krill and green colored wool cut into eggs. Tie up lots you'll need them! Last weekend it was high so unless you have waders i personally wouldn't bother.

Should be lots of chum now, they have updated their escapement in the past week from 15,000 to 42,000

Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net

Subject: FN0842-Salmon: Gillnet - Area D - Area 14 - Mid Vancouver Island Chum - Opening

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gill nets open 48 hours from 08:00 Wednesday November 5/08 to 08:00 Friday
November 7/08 in Subareas 14-9, 14-10, and that portion of Subarea 14-11
outside the Comox Bar, northeasterly of a line from Longbeak Point on Denman
Island, to a fishing boundary sign on Willemar Bluffs.

This fishery may be extended due to weather conditions.

The current escapement into the Puntledge River is estimated to be
approximately 42,000 chum with a target of 60,000. The preliminary catch
estimate from the last gill net opening on Oct. 29-31 is approximately 2,400
chum. The total catch to date from the three gill net openings is approximately
13,000 chum.

Variation Order 2008-D-GN-Qualicum-04.

quote:Originally posted by gallows

Haze, where are you? Did you try the river with your fly rod? I'm interested how you got on? Incidentally, I saw a seal in the river today, up by the Puntledge Park.
Greetings...sorry I never made it to the river. We had a death in the family last week and I had to run up to Kamloops. I got back just two days ago and thought about heading over but when I checked the Campbell there were chum all over in it. So I've been trying to get them to bite on my fly rod here. So far no luck. They seem to spook really easy and my sink line is too fast in the slower water and not fast enough in the main river itself.. Grrrr
But hey I used my spin rod today and hooked into 4 but I only got 1 to shore. All of them are looking pretty dark.
If they are still biting good in the Puntledge I might just have to make the trip - the whole half hour drive.. :)

If this forecast is correct, there won't be much fishing going on this weekend in the ol' river.

res_CMCdischarge.png

http://www.bchydro.com/about/our_system/reservoir_discharges/comox_dam.html

Hey Lazoman do u know what the levels were last weekend they were high but not too high to fish. I was hoping to go this weekend but if it's much higher than last i won't bother.

Hey Nutz, last weekend was a straight 33.5/6.3. Haven't seen a 50/22.8 in a long time, might be a good weekend for surfing !

Drove over Condensory this evening-- somewhat colored and very high. BC Hydro sirens were active all last night

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

just got back from walking dog around airpark.... flow looks to be down, buddy was up below hatchery this afternoon (totally blown out). If no major rain, might be "on" again in a day or two.

Back