Puntledge

an excerpt from today's Echo in regards to the Puntledge:

".....there are ongoing weekly pulse flows every Thursday and Friday to help fish get into the system. "That's for the Chinook salmon," "It will give them a chance to migrate upstream to the spawning beds."

The pulse flows, which each last for 48 hours, will increase the level of the river enough that hydro is advising residents to be cautious in the area during those times.

They will not, however, raise river levels enough to activate the warning system."

I was at the hatchery at about 9.30 yesterday morning, the river was fairly high and slightly coloured, I heard the warning siren go off repeatedly at that time for about five ninutes or so. So I suspect the info in the Echo is incorrect.

Well?? Who is wailing on the chums???? Driving across the bridge the last few days, its been really busy on the water.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I gave it a try last week, foul-hooked some springs that were ready for spawning,didn't see anyone catch a chum.
Did get checked by DFO!
Don

Thanks Don-- might try it this week. Coudl use a couple for the smoker

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I have six chum in the freezer, all caught in the last week or so. There are not a lot in the river yet but the best fishing seems to be just downstream of the condensory bridge and just below the hatchery. The springs are virtually all spawned out now, black as your boots. I like to freeze my fish for a few days prior to smoking. I read somewhere that freezing kills any parasites that the fish may have, smoking fresh fish may not kill them because of the lower temperatures involved in the smoking process. Better to be safe. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

It isn't so much the smoking that cooks your fish. The brining process and it's acids are those responsible for "curing" it however. The smoking is a process of further flavouring.
A famous method is the common ceviche, where a lemon is used to prepare and present seemingly raw fish. It is however prepeared thouroughly and all bacteria and parasites will have been killed in the process.

Fished the Puntledge today, fabulous fishing, man those chum fight so hard, they just don't give up. It was a zoo by the bridge, I noted 21 vehicles parked just over the bridge and a whole bunch parked just by the side of the bridge. The most I have ever seen on a weekday. I landed at least 12 and lost about another 30. Most were chromers but I didn't keep any but had a great morning fishing.

Same pressure today-- but lots of fish being taken below the bridge. Still some silverbrites coming in.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hopefully the best is yet to come. I think they are actually a little earlier this year. Usually some of the best chum fishing in the river is the first week of November. I know one guy that takes his vacation at that time every year because usually the fishing is at its peak at that time. I didn't catch many springs in the river this year, except the first few days, maybe they were a little earlier too? There should still be lots of chum in the strait, hopefully up by Browns Bay.

Hey gallows, I have a 10wt fly rod and a big reel with lots of stopping power. I've heard rumours that chum are insane to land on a fly rod! Is there any room to do some catch and release work with a fly rod in that area? Also what colors should I try, If I'm able to get out?
Thanks

Haze... A little story of my attempt to flyfish for the tigers when the river first opened a few years ago.

First thing, there are not the big open bars that other rivers have, that allow an angler to chase a fish. You DO need to have that stopping power. My first day on the river was with a 10wt Richmake matched to a Hardy St John and shooting head backing onto a floating line. Well-- did I get my a## kicked!!! Not being able to palm the St John I was forced to try sticking my fingers onto the spool. I can still remember the smell of burning flesh..MINE! Next day I was back with my levelwind and a drift rod!!

That being said-- yes there is some room for flychucking, but its limited unless you are will to lower your standards and fish on the shallow spawning areas like some flyfishermen are doing-- Certainly not my choice. Stick to the pool tailouts and travelling water along the banks. I watched a guy beach a semibrite fish about 8 lbs yesterday with what looked like a 5wt. He was undergunned, but he managed.

As far as flys-- dont waste good flys. These fish are agressive and readily take a chartreuse or hot pink wool gob fly. Sure, you will floss the odd fish, or get a backbiter, but the majority will be right down in the yap. Sometimes you will see them chase down the wool, and that gets exciting. Anyway-- thats my opinion, perhaps one of the other guys might see things a bit difference.
Good Luck.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Yes, I endorse everything that Cuba Libre said there. I too had a similar experience a few years back, only my fly rod snapped at the handle. I saw a guy on vacation from the UK last year hoping to fly fish just below the hatchery. He had never fished for chum before and had a light rod and line, looked brand new. About his third cast he hooked into one and it took off all his fly line and most of the backing went around a big boulder in the middle of the river and he lost the lot, a brand new Courtland fly line. These chum are very hard on the tackle, I have already destroyed one quite large spinning reel already this year (shaft snapped off). I would recommend using a strong spinning rod and reel to match and you will have great fun catching these very powerful fish.:)

Thanks guys, I'll bring both rods and if I get worked on my 10wt or I start loosing gear I'll make the switch. And that's perfect that they are taking cheaper flies. I just started making my own gear and I caught two fish last week on my own clousers. I'll be sure to tie some of up just for this.
Thanks again

If you do go, please let us know how you got on. Tie really simple flies, just a short piece of coloured wool just behind the eye of the hook, I use 1.0. Any colour will probably do. I have found that gold coloured wool works best for me, but pink or fluro lime green will work as well. The wool wants to be about the size of a pea, not the size of a cherry.

Fished there today and yesterday probably caught at least 50 fish in 2 days one real nice 20+ chromer. Pink and peach wool were my tickets. They were mostly darker fish but the chrome ones are comin in waves. No problem limiting on clean ones.

Enjoyed catching a few beautiful Coho's this weekend. Some fresh chum showing up between all the zombies which are getting pretty thick.

Back