Public launches

DFordello

I bought a 24 ft Bayliner in the fall and have it moored out at Sewells. It's a bit of a trip to get it down to TA marker. Looking to tow it closer. Where is the best public ramp to get me close?

Sewells in Horseshoe Bay? Well isn't this completely dependant on where you live? If you're downtown or close to it then Vanier Park is only a 25 minute rip there at a decent clip. Also why T10 right now? Just curious.

Sewells in Horseshoe Bay? Well isn't this completely dependant on where you live? If you're downtown or close to it then Vanier Park is only a 25 minute rip there at a decent clip. Also why T10 right now? Just curious.
I live in N Van, so at Sewells in Horseshoe Bay right now. On waiting list for Mosquito Creek.
Not looking to go to T10 right now, was just wondering for summer time. T10 is almost 45 min run and a whole lotta gas, so just trying to find a cheaper way to get there.

I live in N Van, so at Sewells in Horseshoe Bay right now. On waiting list for Mosquito Creek.
Not looking to go to T10 right now, was just wondering for summer time. T10 is almost 45 min run and a whole lotta gas, so just trying to find a cheaper way to get there.
Gotcha. So yeah I guess Vanier isn't a whole lot better. Once you factor in traffic, launching and parking fees aren't you better off just heading straight out from sewells though still? I'd rather be commuting on the water than over a couple of bridges with a boat in tow. I'm at Burrard Civic and I understand what you're saying but I find there's so many good spots to fish that I'll only hit T10 or Sandheads a few times a season when they're really hot and make sure I'm making a day of it.

Gotcha. So yeah I guess Vanier isn't a whole lot better. Once you factor in traffic, launching and parking fees aren't you better off just heading straight out from sewells though still? I'd rather be commuting on the water than over a couple of bridges with a boat in tow. I'm at Burrard Civic and I understand what you're saying but I find there's so many good spots to fish that I'll only hit T10 or Sandheads a few times a season when they're really hot and make sure I'm making a day of it.
Good points about traffic etc. The more I think about it with all the hassle it prob is better to just stay on the water. As I just put the boat in the water in October, I haven't had the chance to run down there, but heard that the fishing can get hot there at times.

Do you realize on how much extra time it would take you to do this? think about it one is a drive to your moored boat and a 45 min boat ride.

Your other option is probably hook the boat up in the driveway, drive 35-45 mins in perfect traffic say if you were going at 5am. That would be the time you would need to leave to be guaranteed a spot a the launch in August. Get to the launch pay launch fee, perhaps wait in line to launch your boat (10-30 mins). Then drive your boat 10 mins to get out of the river (dodging logs), then 20 mins to T10. Then repeat all that and perhaps again wait in line to take out your boat pending the tide is on your side. Say you fish to 2pm expect now its rush hour so it takes an hour plus to get home.

Do you realize on how much extra time it would take you to do this? think about it one is a drive to your moored boat and a 45 min boat ride.

Your other option is probably hook the boat up in the driveway, drive 35-45 mins in perfect traffic say if you were going at 5am. That would be the time you would need to leave to be guaranteed a spot a the launch in August. Get to the launch pay launch fee, perhaps wait in line to launch your boat (10-30 mins). Then drive your boat 10 mins to get out of the river (dodging logs), then 20 mins to T10. Then repeat all that and perhaps again wait in line to take out your boat pending the tide is on your side. Say you fish to 2pm expect now its rush hour so it takes an hour plus to get home.

Ya, the more I think about it and all the points you and Rain City have made, I'll just head over from Horseshoe Bay, just won't do it too often. lol

Ya, the more I think about it and all the points you and Rain City have made, I'll just head over from Horseshoe Bay, just won't do it too often. lol
That's really not a bad run at all. $30 launch fee, plus time, plus truck gas would more than offset the gas used in the boat. Just use the main to get to QA and then troll down to T10 then to sandheads and you won't be using that much fuel.

Good p
That's really not a bad run at all. $30 launch fee, plus time, plus truck gas would more than offset the gas used in the boat. Just use the main to get to QA and then troll down to T10 then to sandheads and you won't be using that much fuel.[/QUOTE
Good points

Sewell's is pretty central and close to all the fishing spots through out the year. Come April you’ll be fishing south Bowen/ outer howe sound and over to gulf islands for May June with a mix of qa. Then you get the coho in west van in July with hole in the wall in Howe sound with a mix of the bell bouy. Mid to late summer you have bell bouy to the south arm. Your probably good to just stay put and run from horse shoe bay. In my opinion thunderbird marina is closest to all fisheries throughout the year.

Sewell's is pretty central and close to all the fishing spots through out the year. Come April you’ll be fishing south Bowen/ outer howe sound and over to gulf islands for May June with a mix of qa. Then you get the coho in west van in July with hole in the wall in Howe sound with a mix of the bell bouy. Mid to late summer you have bell bouy to the south arm. Your probably good to just stay put and run from horse shoe bay. In my opinion thunderbird marina is closest to all fisheries throughout the year.
Awesome, that is a great run down. Thanks!

Back