Protection from anchor chain damage .

Newf

Crew Member
Does anyone have any homemade setups mounted on your boats that protects your fiberglass from anchor chain damage when launching or retrieving your halibut anchor systems? I want to mount something that would make this task a little easier and also protect the fiberglass and railings at the same time. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

I dont have a problem lowering mine i am just very cautious when lowering the chain portion but if it was an issue for me id use a piece of carpet or rubber over the gunnel

I have seen people use a chunk of that ugly commercial floor mat that comes in a roll. With all the crab traps I pull I might be adding that to my list of pick ups actually.

I have a piece of thin stainless sheet bent to fit over gunnel, works perfect. I am careful but that only lasts a short time when retrieving 4th time and its rough. Now I can haul away without ever scratching side. Wish I could post pic. I had a piece of stainless, took exact shape with coathanger and then a trip to empire welding, Rick bent stainless in exact match. Stuck on with some Silkaflwex. Been there 4 years now. Also made a piece for bow eye, now rope does not rub bow and stays in place between "pegs" when hali anchored, also when overnight on other anchor it stops the "noise" in cuddy.

HM

I use a single boat trailer roller that's used at the bow end.It comes with a galvanized bracket with mounting holes pre drilled and I mount it to the gunnel with stainless bolts with a plywood backing plate on the top and bottom side.It sticks out from the side of the boat far enough to clear the rub rail by a couple of inches.The roller has a deep V cut for the keel at the bow and guides the rope and chain perfectly with little resistance being able to roll freely.If I don't need it for a while it easily unbolts and stores under the seat in my runabout.It actually works really slick and cost me only around $15.00.If you need a better idea of what I'm trying to describe,I could take a picture for you and post it.

I use a single boat trailer roller that's used at the bow end.It comes with a galvanized bracket with mounting holes pre drilled and I mount it to the gunnel with stainless bolts with a plywood backing plate on the top and bottom side.It sticks out from the side of the boat far enough to clear the rub rail by a couple of inches.The roller has a deep V cut for the keel at the bow and guides the rope and chain perfectly with little resistance being able to roll freely.If I don't need it for a while it easily unbolts and stores under the seat in my runabout.It actually works really slick and cost me only around $15.00.If you need a better idea of what I'm trying to describe,I could take a picture for you and post it.

Something with a roller is what I had in mind so yes, when you get a chance, please post a picture of it installed on your boat. Thanks.
Also, thanks to everyone for your suggestions..

I'm going to get a light piece of aluminum bent up similar to halimark's post. I will make use of the brackets and bolts for my 90 deg Scotty downrigger mount to attach it to the gunnel when I need it and be able to easily remove it as well. The 2 bolts on the inside of the gunnel will hold it in place while using it.

Back