proposed coal ship anchorages off gabriola

p. 489 DiBacco et al. (2012):"Cordell et al. (2009) sampled 380 vessels on intracoastal and transoceanic voyages. We identified and classified three taxa as NIZ which Cordell et al. (2009) found only in transoceanic vessels, but which we found in ICU vessels discharging ballast in the Port of Vancouver. Pseudodiaptomus inopinus was present in 17% of ICU vessels and came from Portland, Seattle, and Kitimat. Temora turbinata and Oncaea scottodicarloi were present in 4.3 and 30% of ICU ships, respectively, and came from Seattle. The former species is already established in Oregon and Washington, but has not yet been reported in Canadian waters (Cordell and Morrison, 1996; Cordell et al., 2010). "

Aside from the ballast dumping question, which is a moot argument in that we, and our coast, are exposed to the risk whether they are moored in Vancouver Harbour, Nanaimo Harbour, Cowichan Bay, Ladysmith, all of which have vessels mooring for various lengths of time, or off Gabriola, the only argument that makes sense is an esthetic one.
How far offshore is the proposed anchorage, how many people are affected?
Have to consider the greater good, as has already been pointed out, ours is a bulk commodity export economy.
Nothing goes out, no money comes in.

World is getting to be a small place and with international commerce as well as the easy access to international travel, there really is no 100% solution to stopping invasive species or for that matter the transfer of disease. At some point people need to realize that importation and exportation of goods comes with risk as does the ability to freely travel throughout the world.

Is there a risk in ships carrying invasive species in their ballast? Of course. Is there a risk with travellers knowingly or unknowingly doing the same? Absolutely. Smuggling plants and meat products is more common than many realize. What about travellers who visit areas and return carrying contagious diseases?

Personally I believe we need to be vigilant, but also have to a little trusting that the professionals know the implications and understand why the refs,are in place,and follow the rules. The general traveling public is more of a concern to me, but given the vast numbers, what do you do?

Good posts everyone!

To answer your question, Ziggy - or rather to follow your reasoning - that's why CBSA people check people at the border (I'm sure everyone has seen the TV series) - and why we would keep lowering the risk - where we can - at obvious places - which is why we should be diligent on things like ballast discharges - maybe even putting in some settlement plates on anchors on shorelines adjacent to approved moorages and check them monthly- don't you think?

I guess everyone is up to date on the aquatic invasive species - like the green crab?

Well I agree the simple solution would be quarantine of all foreign vessels and 100% inspection for compliance. I also would suggest that all travelers are fully inspected, luggage searched and they also be quarantined until they surpass the incubation period for any known disease. Will it happen ? No! Is it practical? No!

We need to rely on an educated population to mitigate the problem associated with world travel and international commerce. Do you think CBSA even comes close to checking everyone at the border? Of course not, they rely on the honesty of the traveling public to tell them if for example they have visited a farm, have meat or plant products etc. Check out a customs form. Some travelers aren't truthfull- don't you think.

I agree as I said earlier we need to be vigilant. I just find it funny that we so easily worry about a ships Master being dishonest,and yet in the series with the CBSA you reference we see some pretty dishonest travellers, that we seem to not worry about.

By all means check the commercial ships i'm totally onside for mitigating the risk. Just pointing out that there are lots of other risks out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post, Ziggy.

Just to be clear: I don't necessarily "worry" about a Ship's Captain being "dishonest". I never accused any Ship's Captain of anything.

However, marine shipping - like other sectors of the transportation sector - have been know to cuts corners at times - which sometimes leads to the start of an incident that the Transportation Safety Board investigates. That's why they have the transportation Safety Board - they recognize this reality where human error often confounds a equipment failure - which often follows a period of cutting corners.

It'd be the Engineering department's log books that are maintained by an oiler or 3 - that would be examined by Ship Safety/CBSA - so I wouldn't be "worried" about a Ship's Captain being "dishonest" there, either.

I'm just planning for the nearly-eventual consequence. There's lots of info out there on this subject, as well. So don't just take my word for it - look it up! :)

The last part of your post is a little passive aggressive is it not? The earlier part was just a little condescending.

Funny how all the political promises and brainwashing of all those jobs makes people forget that they are their own worst enemy. I would like to see one person say "hey I got a job due to big multinationals raping and pillaging our backyard". Just sheep exactly how they like us to behave.

Funny how all the political promises and brainwashing of all those jobs makes people forget that they are their own worst enemy. I would like to see one person say "hey I got a job due to big multinationals raping and pillaging our backyard". Just sheep exactly how they like us to behave.

That's a pretty broad brush to paint resource extraction with. Rest assured whatever your job or lifestyle is you can't do it without someone providing you with base materials. KV1 what do you do for a living? People need to start thinking globally, what I mean by that is if Canada doesn't supply this stuff someone else will at the detriment of our economy and almost certainly to the planet as a whole due to Canada's high standards. High enough to keep everyone happy? Nope but better than most of the world. 7 billion and rising fast, bilge water isn't the problem overpopulation is. I think it was also already mentioned in this thread we can't compete globally on most things due to cost of labour so we do what we can and luckily we're blessed with plentiful natural resources.

How about hey I got a job with a Canadian based and wholy Canadian owned natural gas company supplying Canadians with the energy and base materials for products that enable the standard of life they're used to and expect while we contribute millions to the provincial coffers via taxes and royalties. Then I bring my money back to CR and support as many small businesses as possible. That's money CR would never ever see otherwise.

The last part of your post is a little passive aggressive is it not? The earlier part was just a little condescending.��
Interesting that you would choose to focus on what you believe the intent is - rather than the content. Any assumptions about intent would be yours to own - not mine.

Hate the term "global economy" it is the biggest scam going. We used to build all kinds of things here and guess what people could afford them too. Then our great leaders (all of them) by the way started getting greedy and feeding off us. The only way to break this is revolution voting for one party or the other isn't going to make a difference. Getting back to the topic I still can't see how having 5 massive ships is going to improve a local nanaimoite just like the cruise ship terminal or Chinese hotel proposal or the last incinerator proposal. Those ships will be an eyesore and I don't buy that there is absolutely no damage to the seabed that's a crock of bs no doubt. There is a purpose to all of the natural world for sure.

Interesting that you would choose to focus on what you believe the intent is - rather than the content. Any assumptions about intent would be yours to own - not mine.

Absolutely!

Exactly! Follow the money see where it goes and who's gaining and then tell me how great it is for "our" economy. Laughable. I could care less if no money comes in but nor should anything go out for free.

"Hate the term "global economy" it is the biggest scam going. We used to build all kinds of things here and guess what people could afford them too. Then our great leaders (all of them) by the way started getting greedy and feeding off us."

Best thing you ever said on here KV1 !!!

X2 on this.

Exactly! Follow the money see where it goes and who's gaining and then tell me how great it is for "our" economy. Laughable. I could care less if no money comes in but nor should anything go out for free.

Attachments

• ballast risk.jpg
    ballast risk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 59
Coastal ship traffic: a significant introduction vector for potentially harmful dinoflagellates in eastern Canada
Suzanne Roy, Marie Parenteau, Oscar Casas-Monroy, and André Rochon
Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 69: 627–644 (2012)

Abstract: We examined the risk of introduction associated with potentially toxic or otherwise harmful algae (HA) or nonindigenous species (NIS) of dinoflagellates in ballast water from 63 commercial ships visiting ports of eastern Canada in 2007–2009. Ship categories included transoceanics undergoing ballast water exchange (BWE) and coastal ships with or without BWE. Of 159 species of dinoflagellates observed in Lugol-preserved samples, 15 were potential HA (six Dinophysis spp.) and 46 were NIS (including three HA). We found at least one species of HA in 81% of all ships examined, and maximum cell concentrations reached nearly 4000 cells·L–1. Coastal nonexchanged tankers carried the greatest cell concentrations of HA. NIS dinoflagellates were found in 56% of ships, significantly more in ships with BWE. There was no evidence that ships with BWE contained significantly fewer taxa or lower concentrations of HA dinoflagellates, indicating that BWE is not efficient in controlling the introduction of these organisms. In fact, BWE promoted the transport of NIS dinoflagellates, possibly because of the wide distribution of several of these species. Coastal ship traffic is a significant introduction
pathway for HA (ships with and without BWE) and NIS (ships with BWE) dinoflagellates in eastern Canada.

Disentangling invasion processes in a dynamic shipping–boating network
Molecular Ecology (2012) 21, 4227–4241

ANAI¨S LACOURSIE` RE-ROUSSEL,* DAN G. BOCK,† MELANIA E. CRISTESCU,† FRE ´ DE´ RIC GUICHARD,* PHILIPPE GIRARD,‡ PIERRE LEGENDRE§ and CHRISTOPHER W. MCKINDSEY–
*Department of Biology, McGill University, 1205 Docteur Penfield, Montre´al, Que´bec, Canada H3A 1B1, †Great Lakes Institute
for Environmental Research, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9B 3P4, ‡De´partement de Ge´ographie,
Universite´ de Montre´al, C.P. 6128, Succursale Centre-Ville, Montre´al, Que´bec, Canada H3C 3J7, §De´partement de Sciences
Biologiques, Universite´ de Montre´al, C.P. 6128, Succursale Centre-Ville, Montre´al, Que´bec, Canada H3C 3J7, –Coastal and
Benthic Ecology, Institut Maurice-Lamontagne, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, C.P. 1000 Mont-Joli, Que´bec, Canada G5H 3Z4

Abstract
The relative importance of multiple vectors to the initial establishment, spread and population dynamics of invasive species remains poorly understood. This study used molecular methods to clarify the roles of commercial shipping and recreational boating in the invasion by the cosmopolitan tunicate, Botryllus schlosseri. We evaluated (i) single vs. multiple introduction scenarios, (ii) the relative importance of shipping and boating to primary introductions, (iii) the interaction between these vectors for spread (i.e. the presence of a shipping-boating network) and (iv) the role of boating in determining population similarity. Tunicates were sampled from 26 populations along the Nova Scotia, Canada, coast that were exposed to either shipping (i.e. ports) or boating (i.e. marinas) activities.Atotal of 874 individuals (c. 30 per population)fromfive portsand21 marinaswascollectedandanalysedusingbothmitochondrialcytochromecoxidase subunit I gene (COI) and 10 nuclear microsatellite markers. The geographical location of multiple hotspot populations indicates that multiple invasions have occurred in Nova Scotia. A loss of genetic diversity from port to marina populations suggests a stronger influence of ships than recreational boats on primary coastal introductions. Population genetic similarity analysis reveals a dependence of marina populations on those that had been previously established in ports. Empirical data on marina connectivity because of boating better explains patterns in population similarities than does natural spread. We conclude that frequent primary introductions arise by ships and that secondary spread occurs gradually thereafter around individual ports, facilitated by recreational boating.

Keywords: population connectivity, population dynamics, primary introduction, spread, tunicate Received 10 February 2012; revision received 9 May 2012; accepted 25 May 2012

Back