Project Double Trouble!

That really sucks SD. Double failure, number 1 and 5. I'd be curious what the rings look like in both cylinders if there are any left. If they are still there then the motor ingested something, perhaps left in there from a sloppy rebuild. What was done in the rebuild? Any machine work, I assume the S on the piston is for Standard bore size. How do the cylinders look?

MG Marine's terms of sale (from their website):

All engines are sold as is, where is and without any warranty or guarantee expressed or implied as to the condition, performance, quality, kind or fitness. It is the purchasers sole responsibility to inspect item before purchase to their satisfaction. No refunds or returns.

I would have thought that some kind of guarantee would be included. For comparison, I see "DOUG'S BOAT SALES" ads for rebuilds on Used Vic quite often, and they state in their ad "ALL ARE GUARANTEED", although not sure exactly what it covers.

Anyway, if I'm ever looking for a rebuild, I'll skip Mario and talk to Doug.

Is this the same Mario that drives all over the place buying worn out motors, blown motors and rebuilds them? Put an old tired or dead motor on Craigslist and I'll bet you that you will be contacted by him.

I will tell you my thoughts on buying rebuilds or used motors. If the guy working on them can't afford to buy the real gaskets to repair them it's obvious there were other cost savings attempts made to repair them. Stay away....

Sorry to hear about your problem :(

If the guy working on them can't afford to buy the real gaskets to repair them it's obvious there were other cost savings attempts made to repair them. Stay away....

I was thinking the same thing....in the photos it looked like liquid gasket rather then factory....wonder how long that would have lasted for....sorry to hear about your problem wtih the motor, what are you going to do with it now? rebuild or sell?

I would be seriously looking at the B.C. Sale of Goods Act and having another chat with Mario. There are laws and regulations in place to protect the consumer from crooked retailers. I would go out of my way to stick it to this guy, 40 hours come on seriously and bad gas from a Vancouver pump.......yeah right. This guy took a lot of your hard earned money and you were sold an apparently professionally rebuilt engine. As for bad gas...BS you should see all the crap in the gas in bella bella and my filter/separators take care of it all. I could literally build a sand castle from the crap I pulled out of my racor on my last trip....along with a half liter of water and the verado didn't miss a beat. I especially love the use of RTV as a gasket material.....consumers have rights too.

I put it on craigslist for sale for parts. I knew nothing about him before we purchased the motor from him. On the positive side it wasn't a huge investment.

Is this the same Mario that drives all over the place buying worn out motors, blown motors and rebuilds them? Put an old tired or dead motor on Craigslist and I'll bet you that you will be contacted by him.

I will tell you my thoughts on buying rebuilds or used motors. If the guy working on them can't afford to buy the real gaskets to repair them it's obvious there were other cost savings attempts made to repair them. Stay away....

For sure FA. The problem is how do you see crap like this when a motor is all buttoned together. All you can really do is a compression test which we did before we bought it and it was good. All 120 across

For sure FA. The problem is how do you see crap like this when a motor is all buttoned together. All you can really do is a compression test which we did before we bought it and it was good. All 120 across

I totally feel for you buddy, If im not mistaken the factory gasket for that would be layered metal? you should be able to see that on the seam, if you see any RTV it should raise alarm bells... I bought a second hand motor off a guy in victoria, and have had to throw some money at it myself, if i could go back in time i would have bought a low hour lease return for a few grand more of what i spent.....either way, tough pill to swallow here...

Duffers Mercury 225 EFI that was posted on here was bought by Mario. I know cause I posted the Craigslist ad for him. Turns out after talking to a local shop this guy buys any blown motor and repairs them. He must have a huge parts collection. He arranges a list of stops two collect these engines from to make his trip worth wild I guess.

The right gasket likely would have cost $10

Really hope he helps you repair the engine properly, or replaces it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those engines don't have head gaskets. They have a seal (that is visible in the block on those photos) and a ring seal around each cylinder (also visible in the photos). RTV sealant is also standard to be used on heads without gaskets. None of that caused the failure, it looks like a heat failure (overheating, lack of oil, pre-ignition, detonation) etc.

Either way it sucks. That's why the rebuilder needs to determine what caused the initial failure and correct that before rebuilding it. Otherwise you get what we see here.

Bad luck on the engine man.
Loved this thread. Great project, awesome result, jealous of your craftsmanship and fishing rig!
Wishing lots of fish into "Shine Box" once your up and running again.

If anyone knows of a 200 or 225 merc efi or optimax please let us know. We are trying to hunt one down

If you plan on keeping the boat, maybe it's worth looking into a new outboard. I couldn't handle the stress of another failure, at least you would have a warranty.

Thanks suds, the one at sheerwood is a 20" leg and i had already talked to puget marina about the 225s. They are under consignment. Unknown hours and there 98s, decent price though but unknown hours scares me.

Back