Preliminary 2018 salmon outlook/Forecast/Management Measures

I still remember fishing right on the line at Swiftsure several years ago opposite a Wa commercial troller. My brother hooked a 30 plus Chinook which took off right towards the US boat. The US skipper pulled his port pig in tight to the boat and got his line out of the way. Classy move and we landed the fish too.
T2

Goodbye Alberni Inlet and Barkley Sound....

FIRST NATIONS WIN FISHING RIGHTS CASE

• Vancouver Sun
    • April 21, 2018

A group of West Coast First Nations has won the right to harvest and sell fish commercially after a 12-year court battle. B.C. Supreme Court Justice Mary Humphries has ruled Fisheries and Oceans Canada has one year to establish a commercial fishery for the five First Nations collectively known as Nuu-chahnulth. However, Nuuchah-nulth president Judith Sayers says that if the government is serious about implementing their rights, it should let the bands begin fishing immediately.

Goodbye Alberni Inlet and Barkley Sound....

FIRST NATIONS WIN FISHING RIGHTS CASE

• Vancouver Sun
    • April 21, 2018

A group of West Coast First Nations has won the right to harvest and sell fish commercially after a 12-year court battle. B.C. Supreme Court Justice Mary Humphries has ruled Fisheries and Oceans Canada has one year to establish a commercial fishery for the five First Nations collectively known as Nuu-chahnulth. However, Nuuchah-nulth president Judith Sayers says that if the government is serious about implementing their rights, it should let the bands begin fishing immediately.

No its actually a good thing for sport fishery. I wouldn't panic.

For commercial fishing probably. Then again maybe the slippers have more to fear. I doubt it will affect you guys that fish it.

You obviously have not been paying attention.

It has already, and very negatively effected us "guys that fish it".
As in BIG TIME.

There is simply no blood left to bleed from Area G to this new commercial sector.
The ruling establishes Allocation Precedence of these FN commercial fisheries over all else except conservation (bit of a joke there) and FSC Fisheries. As in you as a sporty are now subservient to their commercial operations. Operations that are hungry for more quota, and a government sympathetic to their cause.

If you actually think for a second the recreational sector will be somehow saved harmless in this process, you are seriously missing the boat.

I strongly suggest you read the following, the information there might enlighten you somewhat:

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...ns-fishing-rights-supreme-court-ruling.69805/

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...as-demand-pacific-salmon-treaty-fundin.69834/

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
so i go down to the rez and buy some quota or do i sell my house in bamfield, shut down guiding?

not gonna happen.

No its actually a good thing for sport fishery. I wouldn't panic.

I'm curious as to how it can be a good thing for sport fisherman to have allocations moved behind those of a new FN commercial fishery? However I do not know all the nuances of the situation, so would be interested in hearing your take.

Before we go after the deep end again (like this forum always does....) The sky isn't falling. The majority of fishing fleets commercially are owned by very few. The people that fish most of these boats are employed by very few. A lot of these same people got all that halibut quota for free (remember...) . My take is what is going to happen is make DFO now have to go in an evaluate all the quota and how it was granted etc., and reallocate some to FN. The commercial sector will go through significant changes but maybe for the better. Not by the small guys the ones that dont fish and lease the quotas. For sports sector no we are going to be alright.

I'm curious as to how it can be a good thing for sport fisherman to have allocations moved behind those of a new FN commercial fishery? However I do not know all the nuances of the situation, so would be interested in hearing your take.

Why are you so interested in this being a US resident anyway? Does it affect you fishery?

... The commercial sector will go through significant changes but maybe for the better. Not by the small guys the ones that dont fish and lease the quotas.

********. No-one leases quota among Area G, and yet we have just taken a 75% hit in our access.
Tell me again just how that is "maybe for the better". :(

For sports sector no we are going to be alright.

In the words of my hunting partner: "Are you high?"
You actually think the recreational sector will escape this without any ramifications?

If so...

images

Carry on...

Shakin' the ol' noggin once again...
Nog

. My take is what is going to happen is make DFO now have to go in an evaluate all the quota and how it was granted etc., and reallocate some to FN.

Isn't that what the worry is? How much is some? Based on their positions in the past the FN idea of some will be most, and the Liberal Govt agenda seems to be to use fish for reconciliation, so most they may get. Once their catch level is established maintaining that fishery will now be the third priority behind conservation and Food/Ceremonial. In the future (next year) a down year like this one is shaping up (with forecasts way down for the Columbia) by law any fish taken will have to fulfill food/ceremonial, then the FN commercial catch, and only after those are all satisfied then Sporties. Non-Native Commercial Salmon fisherman it seems are likely to be thrown out completely or almost so . Area G troll is down to 15,000 fish and that may not even be due to this ruling, as US commercial allocations are also way down. What TAC the trollers have now may have to go to FN, and I doubt they will be happy with just that, they will want significant sport too.

I think we will have to await the Minister's decision on the re-draft of the Salmon Allocation Policy. Clearly this is a commercial fishery, and in theory the Minister would be looking to apportion the existing fish currently allotted to FN's per the experimental fishery already in place. Put another way, the majority of any allocation adjustments are likely to come from Area G troll. I believe the split in Area G troll is something like 60% non-aboriginal; 40% aboriginal. So the allocation adjustment has some potential traction from within Area G. The rub covered within the judgment is DFO cannot simply retire Area G licenses via a voluntary buy-back program and on an as incurred basis move those over to FN's. The judge clearly stated that practice was unacceptable.

So the real question will be where would the allocation come from in the interim period where the Dept. works on retiring Area G licenses they can then re-allocate over to FN's....likely will come from rec sector. The other larger question is what will the Minister do with all the "me too" demands that will no doubt come from other FN's along the coast. Its going to be a real crap show. Game on.

If there is a silver lining within the judgment, it is FN's commercial fisheries will be closely monitored to ensure compliance, and that DFO will be responsible to set the harvest based on conservation and protecting the rights of other users. The scary part is this Liberal gov't is hell bent to use fish as reconciliation currency and doesn't seem overly concerned about how that might impact their political future. If your not happy - remember come next election.

Funny thing is I haven't yet talked to anyone who says they voted Liberal....hmmm, maybe the last election was fake news.

Last edited:
********. No-one leases quota among Area G, and yet we have just taken a 75% hit in our access.
Tell me again just how that is "maybe for the better". :(

In the words of my hunting partner: "Are you high?"
You actually think the recreational sector will escape this without any ramifications?

If so...

images

Carry on...

Shakin' the ol' noggin once again...
Nog

I am not going to start a 10 page back and forth just because you believe FN sucks in every form. What I am saying is what we are doing isn't working. I thought about with this for a while. I don't believe FN should sell if they are simply getting fish for ceremonial etc purposes to feed there own people on there land. But I do agree maybe its time we let them sell the fish commercially, and really push DFO to review the TAC especially on halibut.

What I do support though is a stop to people that seem to think they are just entitled to quota etc that just think they own because they have buddies in government. We all know whom I speak of.

Ask yourself what would you rather have big corporations or smaller owned commercial operations alongside first nations doing some of the commercial fishing?

Flip it around if you were living on a reserve. There isn't that many economic opportunities for them. They do fish framing everybody wants to shut those down, so what is the alternative? I am not saying sport fishing won't get dinged, but to say all fishing is closed is totally ridiculous. Also think if it this way if they are legally selling and supporting themselves commercially wouldn't DFO have more of an obligation to put enhancement money into the rivers etc?

DFO hardly puts any money in to enhancement now, but if a FN opportunity depends on it maybe they would. Just some things to think about.

One more week!

Unbelievable, any new fishery on an already in trouble fishery will negatively impact someone. I say it WILL be us sporty's, gov could care less about us. Some are defending this with what is currently going on???? Propose to close JDF to save whales when all fully understand sport fishers have the least impact yet here we are looking at closures while the larger impact items are ignored, its catch as per normal.

If these court cases keep up we will only be allowed to fish where, when and how the FN say and after we pay our first born. Don't believe me??? Ask the people who hunted and fished in MU 5 when their LEH, Hunting and fishing licenses were deemed invalid after the court case was won. Hate to say but at some point this will boil over and **** will happen. Or the stewards of the land will deplete everything and there will be no more. I hate nobody, I do form my opinions on evidence and what I have seen hunting, fishing, camping and travelling BC for the last 35 years. Proof forms opinion.

HM

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to start a 10 page back and forth just because you believe FN sucks in every form.

I never said that, nor insinuated anything of the kind.
In fact, if you had paid any real attention, or had any real cognitive skills, you might actually recognize that fact.

Two words at this point. You might be able to fathom what they are...

Nog

Last edited:
Back