Preferred Flasher Leader Length

fishchaser

I thought I would ask the experts what their preferred leader length is when fishing for Springs using hoochies or spoons behind an 11 inch flasher. I know the size of the hootchie and spoon depends on the size of the local bait however are there preferred lengths behind your flasher that yields better results?

Full two arm spread for spoons, one arm to center of chest for hoochies. 40lb plus leader line on hoochies

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on where you are fishing and what time of year. For me usually longer leader lengths later in the season. I start with 6 feet and go up to 9 sometimes, Need to experiment to see what kind/speed of action the fish at the time are liking. there is no single best length. That's what makes it interesting.

Ok I'll bite-18 to 28 inches for sockeye. Hoochy's generally 36 to 48inches -longer lengths for Springs-say 38 to 48 inches. Spoons 48 inches to 6ft. Anchovies 6ft to 10ft. These are just general lengths but everything depends on your speed and conditions. I prefer longer leaders as the fish get closer to their native spawning rivers and Aug off -shore. I personally believe the leader length is extremely important especially close to spawning -for instance Nootka-leader length will make or break a trip and sometime no flasher is the answer!!

When i commy trolled I used 36-38 for coho and 42-44 for springs , 28 for sox,s....we mostly used green hotspots.
We never towed a spoon behind a flasher but would have a flasher above or below on a long light leader with snubber , large blued hooks.

Fish to the location and conditions at hand. Fish for action on your lure. Go screaming by with a 48" leader on your hoochy and you'll make lots of friends in a pack of boats in a hurry.

Also, trolling with the current in certain locations you would have a speed over ground of 6 knots. You would be off he fish before they even got a chance to see it!!! lol.

The key is to fish productively, not fish a recipe which doesn't work all the time. LOCATION and TECHNIQUE

in the Southern Strait of Georgia a 32-35 inch hoochy leader is more than sufficient in certain locations.

Elsewhere 42 " leaders are golden.

spoons behind flashers can be 5-6-7 feet. I have seen bait fished 4 feet back slam fish when no one else caught fish. likewise I have seen 9 foot leaders take multiple fish when no one else could catch, including the floatilla of top guides. We all sat there and watched this guy open a serious can of whoop butt on us...who knew?

leader should give you a comfortable boat handleing distance to match rod length and action.

I only know ,I know nothing .Leader short ,with flasher at handle, leader wraps around arbor to hook at first guide on rod for stowage.Leader long ,with flasher at handle,leader wraps around arbor to guide on rod for stowage ,not the tip though. longer leaders are harder for me to handle a fish at the side of boat and swivel ends up bumping the tip of rod,shorter leaders whip the flasher around when fish is on.Don't forget to wet your knots before you chinch them tight.

I always love these threads.

There are so many variables it make the head spin sometimes as it depends on the time of year, speed and lure. Somedays i just start cutting down the length of my leaders when they aren't biting until something or nothing happens, lol.

Experimentation is your friend!

Back