Prawning Victoria

I've heard of some areas on the other side of Pender. between there and Saturna. Still a long haul for you.
Pretty flat between Sidney and Victoria

Yup, off Albert head
problem is currents in the straight..
need to anchor traps with a cinder block
sometimes floats will go under and you need to return on a slack
tide to retrieve

Ive prawned off albert head.

225' is the magic number. go deeper the currents or a large boat will get your trap. go to shallow you wont get any prawns. the prawns are BIG prawns. the average size was about 8" and were fatter then a toonie! i got about an average of 35 per trap.

the only time you can get your trap is at slack tide dont bother unless its slack tide. because the currents are strong. ive had 4 large crab floats on one line and the currents sucked it down in about 30 mins! came back at slack tide, they were all wrinkled up from going deep underwater and the water pressure croumpling them.

just watch out for the currents. ive lost 2 brand new traps prawning off there. i higly reccomend looking on a chart finding a deep area that is closest to land in that area.

any area that is deep(200+') and has no strong currents is a good area to try.

Last spring my son and I spent the weekend in sydney fishing and looking around. we had no idea where to set shrimp pots but ened up doing pretty good. Couple of hundered shrimp. Not bad for u.s. boys that are use too 80 shrimp limits. have not been back since but will head over this spring again. The area was between domville, forrest and gooch islands. nice flat bottom and not much of a current that day. Only spot I know of in the area.

Back