Prawning trap setup

the butcher

I prawn by using 2 traps, spaced about 50ft apart connected to a single line like many other folks here. Has anyone done any testing to see if they would catch the same amount of prawns if they used 1 prawn trap on a line instead of 2? Since it's difficult to space the 2 traps far apart enough to make a difference, are the same amount of prawns just dividing and going into 2 traps when you have 2 on a line whereas the same amount of prawns would all go into 1 trap if 1 trap was at the end of that line? Starting to question my setup...since 2 traps to a line means more work, more bait, more time spent setting up and tearing down, and more space taken up on the boat... curious as to if anyone has thought about this and went out and tested the catch Rate with 1 trap in the same spots where they normally deploy 2.

2 traps. 20 feet apart for me. I’m not trying to spread them out. Just more traps for more prawns in one pull.
I believe that a trap gets full. 100 prawns swimming around trying to get at bait would look a lot different than they do in bottom of trap out of the water.

Two traps provide a larger scent area and scent trail to attract the bugs. It's then their choice, which trap. We all like a choice.

I prawn by using 2 traps, spaced about 50ft apart connected to a single line like many other folks here. Has anyone done any testing to see if they would catch the same amount of prawns if they used 1 prawn trap on a line instead of 2? Since it's difficult to space the 2 traps far apart enough to make a difference, are the same amount of prawns just dividing and going into 2 traps when you have 2 on a line whereas the same amount of prawns would all go into 1 trap if 1 trap was at the end of that line? Starting to question my setup...since 2 traps to a line means more work, more bait, more time spent setting up and tearing down, and more space taken up on the boat... curious as to if anyone has thought about this and went out and tested the catch Rate with 1 trap in the same spots where they normally deploy 2.
It's also insurance. Many of the best prawn spots you are dropping on a slope aiming for a particular depth contour. Throw in a bit of tide and as the traps sink there is a good chance of missing the desired contour. Two traps give you a better shot that one is perfect. Also sometimes one can fall funky, roll onto side on a boulder etc. How far I spread traps is totally situational. Gentle slope and no one else prawning I might go up to 100 feet apart to hopefully not have any competition between traps. Steep slope and/or lots of other traps around then close together to avoid screw ups. If you were really dialed into a spot I suppose placing the two traps perpendicular to the current would avoid the competition between traps you are concerned about. This would be site dependent. Two traps in line with the current I suspect the upstream trap would definitely fish more poorly.

Be careful to not set on a slope too steep and/or too close to a drop off. Had a set of 2 brand new traps just slide off into the abyss by Bamberton. A very expensive day :mad:

Back