Prawning stories...etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And...here we go. Go back to the original post...It was a question around what to do if you find floating traps, not another debate about commercial prawning, which inevitably leads to endless debate that goes nowhere.

Commercial prawners are carpeting the Victoria waterfront with traps. One came right up to me when I was hali fishing two weeks ago and warned me that I may loose my gear as he was about to drop traps right where I was fishing. It was an aggressive asshole move on his part. We don’t need huge prawning boats coming up to us on the open ocean and tell sport fishers to move on so he can drop his traps.
Are there any commercial traps out past the 300 ft contour?

Not that I have seen.
Thanks for the reply. I have had my halibut anchor and prawn lines caught on commercial prawn set lines. I let the commercial guys know what happened – they were very polite and helpful. I got all my gear back both times. They don’t want to cause any confrontation with the recreational guys, and risk losing $$$$ in traps and lines

Last edited:
I’m always amazed at how far some of these traps travel. I find them floating in the Malaspina all the time between Pender Harbour and Texada. Some are crab traps, some are prawns. Some from Howe Sound, some from The Fraser and everywhere in between.

I always call if there is a phone number to ask if they’d like to know the location or if they’d like them pulled so they can collect them from my house. Half the time they say ‘keep them’ as they have no intention to travel to the Sunshine Coast. Almost everybody says ‘I thought they were stolen’.

I’m always amazed at how far some of these traps travel. I find them floating in the Malaspina all the time between Pender Harbour and Texada. Some are crab traps, some are prawns. Some from Howe Sound, some from The Fraser and everywhere in between.

I always call if there is a phone number to ask if they’d like to know the location or if they’d like them pulled so they can collect them from my house. Half the time they say ‘keep them’ as they have no intention to travel to the Sunshine Coast. Almost everybody says ‘I thought they were stolen’.
Well they very well could have been poached and then just dumped overboard in deeper water. Other than being dragged by a log I really can't see how current alone would pull two weighted traps.

Edited for kindness...

Last edited:
Well they very well could have been poached and then just dumped overboard in deeper water. Other than being dragged by a log I really can't see how current alone would pull two weighted traps. If they're not weighted then you probably don't deserve to be on the water. ;)
Lots of people dont run weighted traps...or run the minimum amount of rope, current makes them miss he spot and then off they go.

Well they very well could have been poached and then just dumped overboard in deeper water. Other than being dragged by a log I really can't see how current alone would pull two weighted traps.

Edited for kindness...
Depends where you prawn, some areas have some pretty good current and you really have to watch current speed. Weighted traps can and will move where I prawn if you aren’t on top of currents

Depends where you prawn, some areas have some pretty good current and you really have to watch current speed. Weighted traps can and will move where I prawn if you aren’t on top of currents
Yeah this is what I'm hearing through some kind messages lol.

spliced mainline is usually the calling card of a commercial fisherman.
One can consider themselves lucky to get tied/sliced together after setting down someone’s gear. Commercial gear has a scotsman at either end of the string so avoid setting between them. Also pay attention to which way the tide is setting their scotsman as their traps may be up to 50’ off the centre line between the buoys.
When someone sets me down I like to crap in a zip-loc bag then put it in one of their traps after tying their ground line back together. This works well for a “you got off lucky” wake up call. I guarantee you the same person will not set you down twice!

One can consider themselves lucky to get tied/sliced together after setting down someone’s gear. Commercial gear has a scotsman at either end of the string so avoid setting between them. Also pay attention to which way the tide is setting their scotsman as their traps may be up to 50’ off the centre line between the buoys.
When someone sets me down I like to crap in a zip-loc bag then put it in one of their traps after tying their ground line back together. This works well for a “you got off lucky” wake up call. I guarantee you the same person will not set you down twice!
you like to crap in a zip lock bag? what other cool things are you into? lol wiping sh#t off your thumb?

you like to crap in a zip lock bag? what other cool things are you into? lol wiping sh#t off your thumb?
I’m sure no one purposely sets down on commercial gear, except perhaps another commercial boat. Why would anyone set out to risk getting tangled in gear they can’t haul? Not sure why anyone would escalate a situation and risk some form of payback based on a mistake. Seems lose lose to me.

...so if someone sets their traps too close to a commy, they deserve to get their lines cut and a bag of crap in their traps? Does it work the other way? The next time a commy drops their traps on mine, should I cut their Scotsman lines and tie a bag of crap to it? I have no beef against guys trying to make a living but many commercial guys believe they have priority on the water and sporties are in their way. I have had commy prawners drop their strings on top of my traps many times. A few weeks ago a commy prawner came up to to me off Victoria and told me he was about to set his traps where I was halibut fishing and I better move on or risk loosing gear. Asshole move and I won’t forget it next time a commercial prawner drops on top of my traps

Number of people who assume their missing traps were stolen is about equal to those who think their missing dog was stolen. Easier to blame someone else. Please note I'm not claiming that theft isn't occurring at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back