Prawning - 1 or 2 traps per line

samba123

Prawning isn't new to me... Have been having good success over the years.. Have experimented with numerous different variables with bait, location, trap setup, depth etc....

One thing I haven't tested is whether having 1 trap per line would produce just as much as the customary 2 traps on each line. Over the years and as many of you can attest, there are often big variations on how each spot(even spots that are 100-150 feet away) can produce. However, when we attach 2 traps onto a line and after launching the 1st trap and then moving the boat forward and launching the 2nd trap, the both traps usually aren't spaced too far apart when they hit the bottom. So, my question is, in most cases, are the 2 traps splitting the catch of the same number of prawns which normally would have gone into 1 trap if there was only the 1 trap on the line? Prawns are bottom dewellers and similar to crabs, move around in search of food. This is the reason why we put catfood and other scented bait in the bait containers is it not?

I often go with my young children who can't help me much or go with my elderly father or notice friends... So if using 1 trap per line strategically placed in good locations would catch or comes close to the same haul as 2 traps, makes it that much easier to deploy and retrieve when you don't have help.. Has anyone tested this option?

Where I fish, I use 600 feet of rope, usually fishing in350 to 400 feet of water. I’ll space my traps at least 75 feet apart, even more in the 350 depth.range. If the traps do fall as planned, I believe both traps are fishing separate water.

Where I fish, I use 600 feet of rope, usually fishing in350 to 400 feet of water. I’ll space my traps at least 75 feet apart, even more in the 350 depth.range. If the traps do fall as planned, I believe both traps are fishing separate water.

I am not quite that deep but I also space my traps 50-75 feet apart. Unless you have enough deck space to have both traps all setup and just sitting on the lip of the rear deck with someone on the throttle advancing forward, the traps while spaced 50-75 feet apart end up a lot closer. 75 feet isn't all that far and I am sure the scent and oils produced from prawn bait travel that far and with a 3-4 hr soak I would guess prawns 75-100 feet away are able to follow the scent trail as long as they are in the direction of the current.

There was a seasoned prawner that I spoke to who works at one of the well known fishing tackle shops and he seemed to know his stuff.. He recommended to only have 1 trap on per line as it was just as effective for him as having 2. Curious if anyone here has also experienced this and drops 1 trap per line.

I am not quite that deep but I also space my traps 50-75 feet apart. Unless you have enough deck space to have both traps all setup and just sitting on the lip of the rear deck with someone on the throttle advancing forward, the traps while spaced 50-75 feet apart end up a lot closer. 75 feet isn't all that far and I am sure the scent and oils produced from prawn bait travel that far and with a 3-4 hr soak I would guess prawns 75-100 feet away are able to follow the scent trail as long as they are in the direction of the current.

There was a seasoned prawner that I spoke to who works at one of the well known fishing tackle shops and he seemed to know his stuff.. He recommended to only have 1 trap on per line as it was just as effective for him as having 2. Curious if anyone here has also experienced this and drops 1 trap per line.
Twice as many lines and twice as many floats as opposed to two traps per line set. I guess if you’re ok doubling your gear and have the space then you would be able to cover more ground. I always use two traps per line and find they fish pretty good.

It would make sense if dropping two traps on one string to run them across the prevailing current as opposed to with it. With the current both traps would be fishing the same water.

Trouble is Eroyd most of the time the sub surface currents are nowhere near the surface current, unless you are fishing on a raging tidal flow. I use one trap per line... but its kind of a moot point now that we are restricted to 125 / day. Come April 1, wifey is getting a license. So that way, instead of me going out solo and taking 200 prawns, the two of us get 250. ( and no-- we will not be taking more seasonally than I used to get by myself.) We take what we can use-- we dont abuse the limits, but it saves us boat gas.

I used to use one trap per line due to the drag. The trick I found to fix that was to off set the point where the clip is so my traps all come up at an angle instead of 90 degrees to the line and becoming a parachute. Like many others I spread my traps apart and notice better catches using 2 traps.

If you don't have sufficient weight in the trap closest to the line to the surface, surface action will move it around and prawns will stay away. Apologies if you already have this figured out; common perception though that the first trap doesn't catch much.

Back