Prawning near Thrasher

Captain Dudds

Is there decent prawning near Thrasher?

I'm fairly new to the area and have had good luck off the fingers, but would like to be able to spend a day fishing Thrasher and be able to check traps every so often without a half hour run.

thanks,

Duds....we have done okay in past years in a few spots but as I believe the commies are now open it becomes a bit futile.

Does the prawning really go down hill that intensely so fast? Do most of you guys just wait for them to stop before continuing on, or would you still say its worth the effort? How long is their season anyways?

Is there decent prawning near Thrasher?

I'm fairly new to the area and have had good luck off the fingers, but would like to be able to spend a day fishing Thrasher and be able to check traps every so often without a half hour run.

thanks,

We have always done well Prawning just north of Silva Bay
Too many places to hang up off Thrasher!
Have never tried prawning there, so maybe you will get some good advice from another member

Last edited by a moderator:
Others may chime in but we too will try slightly north of Silva. Have always found once the commies get going for more than a couple of weeks the pickings are pretty slim. In saying that though, when we fun across it is to fish so we don't spend a ton of time sourcing out prawning spots. All along the strait you'll see commercial traps set.

I am not sure how long their season goes but I think til some time in June....but don't quote me on that.

Actually here is the notice.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=158558&ID=all

Is This no traffic (ie, can't drive your boat in those waters) or no fishing/prawning/crabbing etc???

That's their wish list-it's not the law of the land-they have no right to stop or harass anybody. Trying to board a boat they have no entitlement to board if you don't invite them is piracy!!!

That's their wish list-it's not the law of the land-they have no right to stop or harass anybody. Trying to board a boat they have no entitlement to board if you don't invite them is piracy!!!

you won,t be able to fish or boat there period ..
it is a no go zone and if you go into it you will die from oxygen deprivation as you will be breathing their AIR without permission.

I prawned thrasher a few weeks ago, the results where pretty poor. last year after the first week of commercial prawning there was nothing left... I wouldn't waste your time with traps now that the commercial season has started. I put my traps away last night and they will be back out next year...

Back